2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Looking at the possibility of Coldplay been one of the acts that was booked in 2017, were they that much of a joke within the Glastonbury community back then? (I don't know this is my first Glastonbury), if not then surely it would of been looked at as a good/safe booking for Emily back then, with Coldplay been good friends of the festival and a huge pull but then the jokes about Chris Martin and Coldplay came afterwards...so now it wouldn't be taken as good?

Not as much, but if he knew he'd be headlining 2020 he probably wouldn't have felt the need to occupy the Pyramid stage all weekend this year.

12 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Primarily the rock bit, actually. I don't think anyone can honestly say the 1975 alone cover that, they're pop rock, if that. I just think it's imbalanced and as nice an idea as it may be, they'll want that balance in terms of genres and age. I do however think that Taylor makes sense and will play and there's a good chance of the 1975 too. The 1975, Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift works and is my prediction. If they have got Kendrick (which would indeed be a big coup), I reckon it'll be in place of the 1975, not either of the other 2. 

Side note - The pro LGBT and climate change stuff is great but I'd bet 99% of people don't think about that when it comes to who they want to experience headlining the Pyramid stage (or anywhere else really)

I would also prefer Kendrick/Macca/Tay, as I'm not a huge fan of the 1975. 

I was more bringing up the LGBT/climate change stuff for Glastonbury ethos routes. 

1 minute ago, crazyfool1 said:

but seriously not good for the festivals pr 

All festivals have a house band. Look at any festival and there are always acts which play probably more often than they should.

Glasto HQ probably don’t give a shit. Their house band is one that hasn’t played any other UK festivals for 10 years.

I fear for Emily and Michael for the amount of grief they will get if Coldplay headline .... might see them myself depending on other things ... but seriously not good for the festivals pr 

If it's Coldplay I feel like to avoid the flack they've gotta do something special with the other two. Taylor and a ledge would probably do it. Taylor and Kendrick maybe slightly more risky, but still definitely a strong trio.

5 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I fear for Emily and Michael for the amount of grief they will get if Coldplay headline .... might see them myself depending on other things ... but seriously not good for the festivals pr 

And still Coldplay would have the biggest crowd.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Festiboi69 said:

If it's Coldplay I feel like to avoid the flack they've gotta do something special with the other two. Taylor and a ledge would probably do it. Taylor and Kendrick maybe slightly more risky, but still definitely a strong trio.

Coldplay if they do play will still pack the field out. They're a band that the only festival they play is Glastonbury, they talk a lot about how much they love the festival so on that level (not looking at the Chris joke from this year and how much they've played) would be a great booking. I'm sure once the festival comes around and they start playing no one will care, especially glastonbury HQ and then the festival will sell out the year after. It wont change anything apart from a few dozen facebook and twitter posts of people laughing. 

On that note, I don't want ti to be Coldplay and will be elsewhere if it is them. 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

All festivals have a house band. Look at any festival and there are always acts which play probably more often than they should.

Glasto HQ probably don’t give a shit. Their house band is one that hasn’t played any other UK festivals for 10 years.

maybe they dont care ... but my point was about the grief that will be inevitably large and has been brewing since Chris Martins pop up appearances in June ... there were very definitely audible groans at the time ... and thats from the Glastonbury crowd that love the place 

33 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Sort this out tbh. A playlist of Neil's best would be longer than Taylor's entire discography.

He's one of my musical blind spots I'm afraid (him and Pink Floyd). Don't deny his talent but music does nothing for me. Think a lot of it is down to his voice. 

Just now, chazwwe said:

Coldplay if they do play will still pack the field out. They're a band that the only festival they play is Glastonbury, they talk a lot about how much they love the festival so on that level (not looking at the Chris joke from this year and how much they've played) would be a great booking. I'm sure once the festival comes around and they start playing no one will care, especially glastonbury HQ and then the festival will sell out the year after. It wont change anything apart from a few dozen facebook and twitter posts of people laughing. 

On that note, I don't want ti to be Coldplay and will be elsewhere if it is them. 

Yeah tbh I think I am just letting my bias allow me to think that social media responses mean squat. Kanye was a PR nightmare and who even cares anymore. 

12 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

but seriously not good for the festivals pr 

Are you serious? Coldplay remain the biggest contemporary band on the planet adored by millions, yes they play Glastonbury every 3/4 years but they don't really do other festivals very often so it's not like the public are that oversaturated with them. Coldplay are safest of safe bookings when it comes to public reaction, yes we'll winge about it being too much but this isn't the real world. 

chris martin will have the biggest crowd over the weekend anyway with his guest appearances ... he doesnt need to headline :) 

The talk has always been that two headliners have been booked for a while hasn’t it? Or am I misinformed. That would suggest Coldplay is one of them.  I wouldn’t mind them if Macca and Taylor or Kendrick were the other two. As others have said coldplay would pack the field and make for good popular TV for the bbc to broadcast. 

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

Are you serious? Coldplay remain the biggest contemporary band on the planet adored by millions, yes they play Glastonbury every 3/4 years but they don't really do other festivals very often so it's not like the public are that oversaturated with them. Coldplay are safest of safe bookings when it comes to public reaction, yes we'll winge about it being too much but this isn't the real world. 

maybe ive just been seeing negative stuff and have been influenced by that ... thats how social media works I guess .... I did say I would quite happily see them and I have no doubt about them being a safe booking ... 

9 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Do I need to make another Inevitable Coldplay meme? 

With squirrels being mentioned as potential secret code names for Coldplay and the secret appearance during Kylie i'm inclined to be very suspicious of you Mr Martin

23 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I guess with any headliner there will be people who are vocal around them playing /not playing ... possibly no different then once ive had a think about it 

2 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Iconic =\= boomer

Taylor and Kenny are both icons in their own right. Arguably Glastonbury's most iconic bookings this decade have been The Stones, Beyonce, Adele and Stormzy. Other than The Stones that's three new acts. The big legacy bois are nice if you can get them but they're not necessity.

Definitely add Stevie Wonder to that as well.

40 minutes ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

The talk has always been that two headliners have been booked for a while hasn’t it? Or am I misinformed. That would suggest Coldplay is one of them.  I wouldn’t mind them if Macca and Taylor or Kendrick were the other two. As others have said coldplay would pack the field and make for good popular TV for the bbc to broadcast. 

Couldn't it also suggest the Arctic Monkeys?

I agree that three ultra modern acts seems unlikely...AMs at least balance that out a tad whilst playing fewer times (and less recently) than Coldplay

Edited by Sasperella

16 hours ago, Badlands said:

Been trying to quantify how much time I spend catching up on this thread each day.

Say 2 minutes per page, 10+ pages per day at the minute. I reckon you can rack up 24 hours worth of scrolling through debate about the same 10 acts between September and March, easy!!

What a waste!!

Probably spend more time on here then actually at the fest.

51 minutes ago, circus92 said:

I reckon the other one booked 2 years ago was most definitely ..... Coldplay.  New albums after big break from recording, the timingof release, house band etc.  It just feels like it was planned all along.

The more we say it, the more I think it's going to come true. 

Their last Pyramid set was nothing short of excellent and I'm not even a fan.  It definitely had the party vibe going so I can see that they'd want them to be there for the 50th.  It would probably have been OK if CM had just stayed away this year!

46 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I think they'll have picked up on the CM jokes and try to dress it up a bit - particularly with the rumoured colabs on the new album.  I'm guessing it will be a 50th celebration with Coldplay and friends and an all star cast of appearances along side them.   Kylie loved Glasto so much I wouldn't even be surprised if she returns the favour.  Michael Eavis will also appear!

13 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

Couldn't it also suggest the Arctic Monkeys?

I agree that three ultra modern acts seems unlikely...AMs at least balance that out a tad whilst playing few times (and less recently) than Coldplay

I'd be shocked if AM did it, personally. Only had one album since the last time they headlined and there's no sign whatsoever of them currently being active, making music or performing. I'm sure once they're back in the studio and put something out, they'll be in the headline slot; whenever that may be

Edited by mufcok

2 minutes ago, stuie said:

The more we say it, the more I think it's going to come true. 

Their last Pyramid set was nothing short of excellent and I'm not even a fan.  It definitely had the party vibe going so I can see that they'd want them to be there for the 50th.  It would probably have been OK if CM had just stayed away this year!

I think they'll have picked up on the CM jokes and try to dress it up a bit - particularly with the rumoured colabs on the new album.  I'm guessing it will be a 50th celebration with Coldplay and friends and an all star cast of appearances along side them.   Kylie loved Glasto so much I wouldn't even be surprised if she returns the favour.  Michael Eavis will also appear!

ok sold :) think I responded based on being swayed by  social media posts