2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, chazwwe said:

What is it with these takes in thinking that just because they're different or not legend acts that suddenly they're going to get small crowds?

I'm sure once the festival has started, apart from a few small things there wont be much to brag about it being the 50th. A few special slots, all the artists shouting 'happy birthday glastonbury' and that'll be it. No one will go 'not gonna go watch the Pyramid Headliners because its the 50th and they didn't book Led Zeppelin'  

I don’t think they’ll get small crowds. I think that it would result in a much larger than usual number of people not interested in seeing any of them. Catering to fewer needs, if you like. 

I largely agree re special things for the 50th. As for the last sentence, not what I was suggesting at all. There’s a lot in between that trio and Led Zeppelin (most of the headliners in recent years occupy that space).

13 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

This is a hot take. While I agree 1975 and Kendricks crowd wont be huge but I can see both on the levels of arcade fire as for Taylor Swifts, she will get a fairly large size crowd. 

Kendrick and the 1975 (And I can't stand the 1975) will absolutely pack out the Pyramid. They both sell out world tours, have huge number 1 albums, Kendrick has headlined Coachella, Reading and most other international major festivals. I think people on here sometimes really wildly underestimate artists just because they themselves aren't in to them or aren't familiar with their music in a big way. 

• Upvote 1

To throw a spanner in the works headliners ‘being booked 2 years ago’ doesn’t sound like heritage acts to me. Sounds to me like they are trying to get someone when they are on their next touring cycle.

If they approached them in 2017, they obviously can’t do 2018 and if they have no plans to tour in 2019 then the only time to get them would be in 2020.

Kendrick accurately fits this mould. He toured in 2018 - but obviously he couldn’t play because there is no Glastonbury. He hasn’t toured or released anything new this year and has music in the frame for 2020.

Tldr - I interpret booking a 2020 headliner in 2017 as “I’m not around in 2019”.

1 minute ago, The Martini Police said:

I don’t think they’ll get small crowds. I think that it would result in a much larger than usual number of people not interested in seeing any of them. Catering to fewer needs, if you like. 

I largely agree re special things for the 50th. As for the last sentence, not what I was suggesting at all. There’s a lot in between that trio and Led Zeppelin (most of the headliners in recent years occupy that space).

You have one of the bigger up and coming british guitar rock bands of this decade, who are right now very pro LGBT and climate change friendly, who are also slowly breaking into the US market. One of the most critically acclaimed artist (not just rapper) of the decade and has sales/streams to prove in Kendrick and one of the biggest pop stars on the planet in Taylor Swift. 

I'm not sure what needs aren't being catered too? 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

As I’ve said before the 50th anniversary celebrations should be in the undercard rather than just the 3 at the very top.

This is what I've been championing the past few weeks. I think it would be really cool for the people at Glastonbury to put faith behind 3 brand new headliners of all varying tastes and genres, who have all hit their main stride this decade. It would show great faith in music and stop the 'there's no new headliners' talk. 

30 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

You're right about that, but I imagine most people are/were thinking more of the likes of McCartney, Elton, Fleetwood Mac and for the ultra ambitious, Led Zeppelin. Taylor, Kendrick and the 1975, whilst being strong in terms of currently popular names that do well in the charts, would alienate a large number of attendees (not just the non-youth, rock fans too) in a way that the festival never has before. It's great to be fresh, but that's probably going a bit too far, especially it's there's any notion of paying tribute to the 50 years (still not sure on that part personally). 

imagine a glastonbury festival that wasnt hamstrung by having to cater to the boring ass tastes of 'rock fans'... what a glorious dream

• Downvote 3

Taylor is actually probably the least likely to be booked for a while as (as far as i understand) her old label didnt want her playing fests, so its at least as recent as whenever she went to whatever major record label it is she is now with.

Edited by Mattymooz

1 minute ago, Mattymooz said:

1975 being booked 2 years ago would make sense too tbh "oh we'd love to be booked for next year but we already got R+L om the cards, how about 2021 after we released another album"

I don’t think they’d book a british band already on their roster that early. It sounds like it’s an American act to me. American acts plan their European tours far in advance and would probably make their choice where they want to play pretty early too.

15 minutes ago, jackmerton said:

Kendrick and the 1975 (And I can't stand the 1975) will absolutely pack out the Pyramid. They both sell out world tours, have huge number 1 albums, Kendrick has headlined Coachella, Reading and most other international major festivals. I think people on here sometimes really wildly underestimate artists just because they themselves aren't in to them or aren't familiar with their music in a big way. 

Completely agree, and Taylor will pack it out as well.

6 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

You have one of the bigger up and coming british guitar rock bands of this decade, who are right now very pro LGBT and climate change friendly, who are also slowly breaking into the US market. One of the most critically acclaimed artist (not just rapper) of the decade and has sales/streams to prove in Kendrick and one of the biggest pop stars on the planet in Taylor Swift. 

I'm not sure what needs aren't being catered too? 

Primarily the rock bit, actually. I don't think anyone can honestly say the 1975 alone cover that, they're pop rock, if that. I just think it's imbalanced and as nice an idea as it may be, they'll want that balance in terms of genres and age. I do however think that Taylor makes sense and will play and there's a good chance of the 1975 too. The 1975, Paul McCartney and Taylor Swift works and is my prediction. If they have got Kendrick (which would indeed be a big coup), I reckon it'll be in place of the 1975, not either of the other 2. 

Side note - The pro LGBT and climate change stuff is great but I'd bet 99% of people don't think about that when it comes to who they want to experience headlining the Pyramid stage (or anywhere else really)

27 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

With people now talking about The 1975/Kendrick/Taylor. Does this really fit with the information that 2 of the acts were booked couple of years ago? If that is to be believed...

Doesn't quite fit -

I reckon Taylor was definitely booked 2 years ago - she has a reputation for planning way ahead, and she was never going to tour in 2019, so 2020 fits perfectly for both parties.

No way the 1975 was booked 2 years ago - nobody could have been sure back then that they were going to have the rise they have had since then - would have been too risky a booking

No way Kendrick was booked 2 years ago - looking to much money

I reckon the other one booked 2 years ago was most definitely ..... Coldplay.  New albums after big break from recording, the timingof release, house band etc.  It just feels like it was planned all along.

Looking at the possibility of Coldplay been one of the acts that was booked in 2017, were they that much of a joke within the Glastonbury community back then? (I don't know this is my first Glastonbury), if not then surely it would of been looked at as a good/safe booking for Emily back then, with Coldplay been good friends of the festival and a huge pull but then the jokes about Chris Martin and Coldplay came afterwards...so now it wouldn't be taken as good?