2020 headliners

jj200

23 minutes ago, Divein said:

Annie Mac is playing two new Coldplay tunes tonight for her hottest record in the world. Plus a world exclusive interview.

Hope she doesnt pose the G question

Just before she announced that as well, the chap who was talking to Clara he said something about Coldplay being 'secret squirrels'

And squirrels was the first clue this morning for the golden tickets

Edited by Wellyboot

20 minutes ago, Divein said:

Annie Mac is playing two new Coldplay tunes tonight for her hottest record in the world. Plus a world exclusive interview.

Hope she doesnt pose the G question

I hope she does. How good would it be if they responded "you know we love Glastonbury, it's our favourite festival and it's always an honour to play but it's a bit too early for us to return. Best of luck to those headlining next year"

51 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Who says there must be a legacy act? Having three young acts like Taylor, Kendrick, The 1975 would be a big mood.

If that's the case, my prediction is the festival gets the smallest total crowd numbers for the three main headline acts in recent years.

No reflection on the quality of the acts, and certainly not a problem either (I rarely see the pyramid headliners anyway). Just the three bands have had less time to build a base of fairweather fans that just go to see them because they "know those few songs".

Taylor doesn't quite fit into the above, but she's certainly not on the level of The Boss, Neil Young or even Beyonce (IMO).

2 minutes ago, fat_man_joe said:

Taylor doesn't quite fit into the above, but she's certainly not on the level of The Boss, Neil Young or even Beyonce (IMO).

I promise you that most Glastonbury attendees will know more Taylor Swift songs than Neil Young, and probably Bruce Springsteen too.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

Just before that as well, the chap who was talking to Clara he said something about Coldplay being 'secret squirrels'

:mellow: i think there is a real danger of this being the case now, we all feared it anyway with the  new album but this seems more and more nailed on with every little bit of info. 

13 minutes ago, Wellyboot said:

Just before she announced that as well, the chap who was talking to Clara he said something about Coldplay being 'secret squirrels'

Wasn’t “secret squirrel” the code name for Chris Martin (and Nick Cave) when they appeared with Kylie last year?

Hopefully it’s just referring to that and nothing more  

8 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

I promise you that most Glastonbury attendees will know more Taylor Swift songs than Neil Young, and probably Bruce Springsteen too.

You're right about that, but I imagine most people are/were thinking more of the likes of McCartney, Elton, Fleetwood Mac and for the ultra ambitious, Led Zeppelin. Taylor, Kendrick and the 1975, whilst being strong in terms of currently popular names that do well in the charts, would alienate a large number of attendees (not just the non-youth, rock fans too) in a way that the festival never has before. It's great to be fresh, but that's probably going a bit too far, especially it's there's any notion of paying tribute to the 50 years (still not sure on that part personally). 

Edited by The Martini Police

14 minutes ago, fat_man_joe said:

If that's the case, my prediction is the festival gets the smallest total crowd numbers for the three main headline acts in recent years.

No reflection on the quality of the acts, and certainly not a problem either (I rarely see the pyramid headliners anyway). Just the three bands have had less time to build a base of fairweather fans that just go to see them because they "know those few songs".

This is a hot take. While I agree 1975 and Kendricks crowd wont be huge but I can see both on the levels of arcade fire as for Taylor Swifts, she will get a fairly large size crowd. 

I wouldn’t be opposed to Kendrick/Taylor/1975, but when has the festival not had at least one long established/heritage act.

The last time I can think of that they didn’t have one band that was formed pre 95 was maybe 2008 with KOL, the Verve and Jay Z.

Not saying it’s necessary, but GF clearly try and book one well established/heritage act so would be a surprise if they didn’t on any year, not because it’s the 50th

8 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

You're right about that, but I imagine most people are/were thinking more of the likes of McCartney, Elton, Fleetwood Mac and for the ultra ambitious, Led Zeppelin. Taylor, Kendrick and the 1975, whilst being strong in terms of currently popular names that do well in the charts, would alienate a large number of attendees (not just the non-youth, rock fans too) in a way that the festival never has before. It's great to be fresh, but that's probably going a bit too far, especially it's there's any notion of paying tribute to the 50 years (still not sure on that part personally). 

What is it with these takes in thinking that just because they're different or not legend acts that suddenly they're going to get small crowds?

I'm sure once the festival has started, apart from a few small things there wont be much to brag about it being the 50th. A few special slots, all the artists shouting 'happy birthday glastonbury' and that'll be it. No one will go 'not gonna go watch the Pyramid Headliners because its the 50th and they didn't book Led Zeppelin'  

14 hours ago, gherkin8r said:

I refused to listen to thbon Iver album before last after one brief glance at the track list. I've calmed down now though so might give it a listen 

If you’re like me and hate Vocoder and other electronic effects on your vocals it’s unlistenable. And that’s from somebody who loves both Vernons voice and the first two Bon Iver albums. I’d rather set my ears on fire than listen to the third one again.