2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

Trying to think of any suitably huge alternatives....

Main one that jumps out that we know for a fact are active next year is GnR.

Massive, never played before, rock to go alongside Kendrick and Taylor...

AC/DC too, although their supposed comeback hasn't been officially confirmed as of yet.

Haven’t read this thread since this morning so I may have missed someone already talking about it but noticed Emily follows on of The 1975 (couldn’t be bothered to look into if she follows the rest of them but I’m sure my Instagram showed it was a recent follow - could be wrong though). 

It’s the same member of the band who put some praying or fingers crossed emojis recently on twitter when someone mentioned Glastonbury.

Am I putting 2 and 2 together and getting 1,975 here or could there be something in it? 

F1140F9C-03D6-442B-8E03-93239BC316B5.png

4 minutes ago, DareToDibble said:

Haven’t read this thread since this morning so I may have missed someone already talking about it but noticed Emily follows on of The 1975 (couldn’t be bothered to look into if she follows the rest of them but I’m sure my Instagram showed it was a recent follow - could be wrong though). 

It’s the same member of the band who put some praying or fingers crossed emojis recently on twitter when someone mentioned Glastonbury.

Am I putting 2 and 2 together and getting 1,975 here or could there be something in it? 

F1140F9C-03D6-442B-8E03-93239BC316B5.png

He's their manager not a member. I do think they'll be there tbh.

16 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Trying to think of any suitably huge alternatives....

Main one that jumps out that we know for a fact are active next year is GnR.

Massive, never played before, rock to go alongside Kendrick and Taylor...

Pearl Jam fit into this category, albeit at the bottom end size wise. 

I'd imagine all of the aforementioned would be too expensive, however. 

Just now, Wellyboot said:

So if that's the case, who do we think is most likely to be out? Or do we have absolutely no idea?

me, I still don't think there's anything to macca - but I can't really ignore a regular here saying he knows of a roadie who says it's on.

I'm far from sure about Kendrick too. As far as I can tell it's really just a "I want him" guess.

Even Taylor is just a guess really, although other stuff does suggest it.

NOOOOOO, REG. That is gutting since he is an act I really wanted to see that I wouldn't pay over £100 for. I thought he would play.

K, Mc and Swizzle I need now.

Saw 75 Leeds and seeing them in Manchester February so I hope they dont. Saw Foals at the Park, Victoria Warehouse both nights and planning for Blackpool and as much as I love them, dont really see how they are big enough to headline, so I hope they dont headline the pyramid but if they do I would be there. I would be very curious to see how they go down. Realistically now I dont really think we have any evidence for Kendrick except his high odds thus meaning I see the trio at the current time being:

Mc

Swizzle

Balanced, strong, depends on the other stages but would be acts I would see. 75 as I like there music and would bring a good show, Macca since he is a legend and would be a beautiful set and Swift since she is a brilliant contemporary artist. Cannot argue with the trio but isn't the best suited for myself. Would have loved Reg, shame.

Did this a few months ago and it went down well, so I thought I'd do an updated list of potential headliners for next year, with pros and cons for each act. They're somewhat ordered from most to least likely. Again, apologies if I've missed any major act or got any info wrong.

Taylor Swift - playing European festivals around Glastonbury weekend with ‘UK dates and festivals to be announced soon’. However, she may do BST, her own thing or even Lolla Stockholm, which would make more logistical sense.

Coldplay - confirmed double album out in November, with another (?) supposedly released next year. Rumoured to be doing European festivals over summer, so as Glastonbury’s house band it seems likely they’ll be booked for the 50th anniversary. However, many would argue 4 years is too soon to return. They only took a 3 year gap between 2002/2005 though.

Foals - cba to go through the arguments with this one, we’ve heard it all before already.

The 1975 - they’ve been vocal about wanting to headline next year, very well received headline set at R&L this year, probably the biggest British band to come out of this decade. However, it’s very rare for an act to headline Glastonbury the year after doing R&L. Not impossible, though.

Paul McCartney - been a couple of rumours here and there that he’s been booked. However, Neil has good authority that he’s not there next year. Things may have changed since then, though.

Kendrick Lamar - been a couple of rumours to suggest he’s been booked. Emily was at his gig last year and sang his praises. However, he’s likely too expensive for Glastonbury.

Aerosmith - seem unusually high on betting sites and a user here seems to think they’ve been booked. However, the info doesn’t specify a headline booking - perhaps the rock slot is more likely. Would seem to be an odd choice of headliner at Glastonbury.

The Eagles - active next year, Michael seems to have been interested in the past. However, is money an issue with these as well?

Bruce Springsteen - rumoured to be active next year, maybe feels as though he has some unfinished business with the festival. However, his set wasn’t the most well received last time, there’s still not confirmation that he’s definitely touring next year, he might see it as a ‘been there, done that’ type gig.

Neil Young - Michael suggested that he’s headlining next year, possible that he’ll be active. However, Michael talks a lot of shite.

The Rolling Stones - Neil heard info that they’d been approached a few months back. However, that info named them alongside Fleetwood Mac and Led Zeppelin, both of whom have been ruled out now.

Kasabian - active at the time of the festival, new album coming sometime soon. However, their Leicester gig has been billed as their only UK show of 2020, likely wouldn’t be at the top of the list, perhaps a secret set is more likely.

Arctic Monkeys - safe bet, potential new material out next year, will have been 7 years since their last headline set which is long enough. However, there’s nothing to suggest they’re gonna be active next year, as of yet.

Lady Gaga - Vegas residency will have ended then, likely to have new material out, played back in 2009 so knows the festival. However, might not be active over the summer months.

Florence & the Machine - could have a new album out in time, friend of the festival and would be an easy, safe booking. However, she likely wouldn’t be at the top of the list of options and she might not be active.

Biffy Clyro - some Facebook commenter seemed to suggest that they’ve been booked to headline next year. However, that’s very ropey info, they’re probably not big enough and they could have meant that they’re headlining the Other Stage.

The Strokes - could all the fuss about them playing this year have been miscommunication about them really headlining in 2020? However, Glastonbury likely wouldn’t pay their fee.

U2 - do they have unfinished business with the festival? However, they may not be active and could see Glastonbury as a ‘been there, done that’ type gig.

Kings of Leon - potentially new material out by next year. However, there’s nothing to suggest that as of yet, so possibly won’t be active.

Blur - friends of the festival, popular booking with the masses. However, doesn’t look likely that they’ll be active next year as Damon has other plans.

Rihanna - potentially new material out soon. However, this isn’t certain and she might not be active at all.

Guns N Roses - likely to be active next year. However, they’d demand too high a fee for Glastonbury.

AC/DC - same points as GNR.

The Kinks - been a rumoured reunion for a while now. However, would they be big enough to headline if they do return? Even if they do, they might avoid the festival completely.

• Upvote 8