2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Correct! Some people are expecting Glastonbury to force reunions on bands and won't be happy until Oasis, Led Zep and Floyd are announced as headliners. And raise the dead for the legends spot...

Led Zep would be the ultimate dream headliner for me but i'm realistic to know it will never happen so never champion it. 

I’m not speaking broadly but when I’ve quizzed people about who they would deem special... the most common response is “dunno... just something special”.

Sometimes I think the standard for Glastonbury is so high that any band which exists being booked is “not special enough”.

13 minutes ago, Quark said:

Because, at least on here, there's an honour badge in watching lower-profile bands on a different stage while the musical masses watch something popular that's on the BBC.

Massive generalisation and it obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but if we're all honest there's a massive amount of musical snobbery on efests. Tie that together with "you're not doing Glastonbury properly if you stay at the Pyramid" and there you go.

And yes, I absolutely count myself in that.  There's an undeniable smugness when someone asks "oh did you see such and such on the Pyramid, we watched it on telly" and you respond with "actually no, I was at a stage you've never heard of watching a troupe of Albanian gypsies on unicycles playing the Star Wars score on kitchen utensils"

Another Damon Albarn side project?

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’m in the boat that those three headliners are incredibly impressive. Maybe it’s just me being a millennial lol.

I’m seeing the same comment being thrown about. “I just thought they’d do something a bit more special for the 50th”.

If you are one of these people who feel that way can you please provide some bands that fit that mould? I often find when people say that they can’t name any bands.

Or they just say Oasis.

I am 35. Kendrick doesn't really register for my circle of friends and to be honest - with a lot of people over 30. I am not saying that's a bad thing. Without new acts coming up, it's just the same over and over, but it really will be a "who?" from quite a few people I know.

Snoop, Dr Dre, Eminem are the hip hop stars people in my circle of friends would see as much bigger. (not saying rightly, just the way it is)

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m in the boat that those three headliners are incredibly impressive. Maybe it’s just me being a millennial lol.

I’m seeing the same comment being thrown about. “I just thought they’d do something a bit more special for the 50th”.

If you are one of these people who feel that way can you please provide some bands that fit that mould? I often find when people say that they can’t name any bands.

Or they just say Oasis.

Foals

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I am 35. Kendrick doesn't really register for my circle of friends and to be honest - with a lot of people over 30. I am not saying that's a bad thing. Without new acts coming up, it's just the same over and over, but it really will be a "who?" from quite a few people I know.

Snoop, Dr Dre, Eminem are the hip hop stars people in my circle of friends would see as much bigger. (not saying rightly, just the way it is)

Kendrick gets a lot of time on 6 Music though, which tends to draw an older audience. My dad is in his mid 50s and gets all of his music through 6, and he became a big fan of Kendrick when DAMN. came out. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’ve even had some bizarre conversations with people where you ask them who they want to play and they say bands who played this year.

I know someone in 2014 who got tickets just in case the Arctic Monkeys headlined again.

You need cooler friends!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Yup.  And on the best stage on the planet.

It really is, no better place on Earth to watch live music.

I base my nightly decisions on what’s on and what I fancy, if that means three nights of Pymild then bring it on.

FWIW I’m 100% at Kendrick & Macca. Likelihood of Swift about 20% depending on what’s on elsewhere.

19 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

If you think Macca, Swizz-swizz and K-Dot are underwhelming you'll be dumbfounded when you see who headlined it this year. 

There is surely a distinction to be made between those three being personally underwhelming and underwhelming for Glastonbury on a generic level. 

For me, those three would be poor headliners. Swifty is not my thing. I just cannot get into Kendrick despite numerous attempts and being a massive fan of 90s Rap/Hip Hop. I also think McCartney would be a bit 'meh' despite liking the Beatles. 

However, I can appreciate the size of the three artists in a general context. 

Swap Macca for Elton and I'll be grand. 1 night at pyramid then two elsewhere (Santana, prodigy, NIN or Thom Yorke please).

3 minutes ago, Billy Corgan's Ego said:

There is surely a distinction to be made between those three being personally underwhelming and underwhelming for Glastonbury on a generic level. 

For me, those three would be poor headliners. Swifty is not my thing. I just cannot get into Kendrick despite numerous attempts and being a massive fan of 90s Rap/Hip Hop. I also think McCartney would be a bit 'meh' despite liking the Beatles. 

However, I can appreciate the size of the three artists in a general context. 

Swap Macca for Elton and I'll be grand. 1 night at pyramid then two elsewhere (Santana, prodigy, NIN or Thom Yorke please).

Can you instead provide three realistic alternatives which would be better at living up to the prestige of Glastonbury? I’m really intrigued to know who you have in mind.

25 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

Us few clearly aren't as vocal as all the Kendrick fans...I will give her another listen with these recommendations...Thanks!, I have given Kendrick many a chance and every time I didn't enjoy it, so only fair to give Taylor the same chance...and even though I don't like her at the moment I can imagine she puts on a really good show, so the curiosity of that may tempt me to see her. You give me any guitar band really, but we will use some that have been mentioned her...Foals/AM/The 1975 then Reg and Taylor and I think that's some good headliners. Yes The 1975 are more pop now but they are a guitar band and having seen them at Reading this year I know how good they are live so would be all up for seen them again

Sounds like we are on the same page ( but in the minority!).  The 1975 would also be my choice for a “guitar band” - also saw them at Reading and thought they were amazing.  I enjoyed them far more than the Foo’s even though I love the the Foo’s.  I think they have gone a bit stale, whereas the 1975 felt way more exciting.  The problem with both Taylor and the 1975 is they are not seen as cool, but if you give them both a go they both have a fantastic back catalogue.  The 1975 are now at the point where they have enough material that they have to leave out a lot of really good tunes from their set.  They both also put on a really good show - saw Taylor’s Reputation tour last year and was blown away and would to see her on the Pyramid..  I am 46 by the way, so “supposed” to be more into the likes of the Foo’s than the 1975.  

So were agreed  - 1975 / Reg / Taylor ?

• Like 1