2020 headliners

jj200

25 minutes ago, jparx said:

Never really understood why people get fazed about three nights in a row there? I get the other stages are great, but surely if you spend three nights at the Pymild it suggests there are three amazing headliners?

For me personally, if I'm at the Pyramid I prefer being in the front circle, so that means having to plan before hand also the difficulty level to get out of that field after a headliner takes a hell of a lot of time, time that could be used to make your way into some of the late night areas.

I chose Janelle last year over The Cure for that reason. Was camping just outside of the pyramid field, got out of her set, got to see the encore of the Cure and then back at my tent to restock before most people had even left the field. 

6 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

Because the front man of the most famous guitar band of all time just isn't enough..

That's a fair point, maybe I worded it wrong, out of the 3 Mccartney is the most likely I would see, I'd prefer Reg over him personally (If we could only have one older act as a headliner), but I would go see Mccartney it just wouldn't be nailed on for me unlike with Reg. There could be bands and artists on that would tempt me away from the Pyramid, but no one would tempt me away from seen Reg. Not saying there are a load of acts I would watch over Mccartney, but if one was to land on the other stage against him then I wouldn't be spending a night at the pyramid with the headliners we spoke about

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

You'd be in the minority of all minorities if the most important hip hop star in the world, one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed pop stars of the decade and a bloody Beatle doesn't do it for ya.

Im in there too.

Im hoping for Reg but if it not then i'll find something else

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

You'd be in the minority of all minorities if the most important hip hop star in the world, one of the biggest and most critically acclaimed pop stars of the decade and a bloody Beatle doesn't do it for ya.

Well I have said my point on Mccartney above, with regards to hip hop acts there isn't many that would do it for me tbh and that's just my music taste, with regards to pop stars I would much prefer someone like Lady Gaga than Taylor personally, I have nothing against pop and I do enjoy but just not Taylor, if she does get announced I'd be happy to give her another listen before I go to see if I could get into her music 

3 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

For me personally, if I'm at the Pyramid I prefer being in the front circle, so that means having to plan before hand also the difficulty level to get out of that field after a headliner takes a hell of a lot of time, time that could be used to make your way into some of the late night areas.

I chose Janelle last year over The Cure for that reason. Was camping just outside of the pyramid field, got out of her set, got to see the encore of the Cure and then back at my tent to restock before most people had even left the field. 

I can see your point, but I'm with CalGon on this - it's the best stage in music and if there's three acts on there that are really float my boat then I can hardly complain!

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

lol. He plays the bass not the guitar.

and of course he famously plays alone, damn that's a shame

3 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

That's a fair point, maybe I worded it wrong, out of the 3 Mccartney is the most likely I would see, I'd prefer Reg over him personally (If we could only have one older act as a headliner), but I would go see Mccartney it just wouldn't be nailed on for me unlike with Reg. There could be bands and artists on that would tempt me away from the Pyramid, but no one would tempt me away from seen Reg. Not saying there are a load of acts I would watch over Mccartney, but if one was to land on the other stage against him then I wouldn't be spending a night at the pyramid with the headliners we spoke about

I mean I'd personally love to see Los Campesinos! given a crack at the pyramid, doesn't mean it'll happen ? As far as realistic available headliners go, Swift Kendrick and McCartney would be a spectacular trio, and I say that as somone who'd probably only see one of them (Kendrick)

Just now, jparx said:

I can see your point, but I'm with CalGon on this - it's the best stage in music and if there's three acts on there that are really float my boat then I can hardly complain!

Wouldn't complain in the slightest. I use Glastonbury to see bands that I would probably not see on tour, so those 3 (reg/macca, Kendrick and Swift) are all 3 right up there. But I've also been using festivals to see bands that I just can't bring up the cost to see on tour due to how expensive its getting for me personally. If we had something like a NiN/Tay clash, I'd be in a real pickle. 

Macca has to be there to save me from 3 x Meh, assuming its a toss up between Macca and Reg. Kendrick and Taylor not for me (personally).

Has Reg's previous behaviour to staff and audience been considered in his eligibility? Hes got form for being an absolute nasty git hasn't he? Maybe the Eavii don't want his vibe on the farm? 

If I have 3 nights at the Pyramid, great! 

If I have 3 nights away from the Pyramid, great! 

That would be an undeniably great three headliners for the festival so I'm all for it. For the record I'd probably see Macca & Kendrick but could be tempted elsewhere. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Has Reg's previous behaviour to staff and audience been considered in his eligibility? Hes got form for being an absolute nasty git hasn't he? Maybe the Eavii don't want his vibe on the farm? 

Not sure where this is from. He's got a rep for being a bit of a prima donna and by his own admission was unpleasant to those close to him during his cocaine years, but I can't recall hearing about him behaving badly on stage with his audience.

And besides, the farm has seen many an act who has a reputation with them. They coped with Kanye well enough.

My suspicion is the reality is a lot less exciting than the myths.

38 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

I just can't see us ending up with Tay, Kendrick and Mccartney and I know I am in a minority here but I hope we don't as well, that could potentially be no nights at the pyramid for me. I have listened to Kendrick and can't get into it but then again I am not a fan of that music genre in general some come a long that I like. The only stuff I know of Taylor's is all her cheesy songs like "Shake it off" and "We are never getting back together". I could go see Mccartney but it's not a must for me if someone good was on another stage (Like The Prodigy mentioned above) then I will be at that. Swap Mccarntey for Reg and were talking I would 100% be at that, but without naming a band specifically as I know it could cause debates I would like to see a 'Guitar Band' headline as well, and then 1 day away from the Pyramid would be fine. Take it I am the only one thinking this here?...

You aren’t the only one thinking this - Deffo prefer Reg over Macca.  Also can’t get into Kendrick - everyone on here has me thinking I am missing something but just not getting it.  I also think that you definitely need a proper “Guitar Band” at least one of the nights.  The only one I would differ from you on is Taylor.  If you have only heard a few of her “cheesy” hits then you really should listen a bit more - some cracking tracks on Red such as All too well, and was listening to 1989 again yesterday and reminded me of just how good that album is.  Rep and Lover also very good, but 1989 is hard to beat - give it a go.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jparx said:

Never really understood why people get fazed about three nights in a row there? I get the other stages are great, but surely if you spend three nights at the Pymild it suggests there are three amazing headliners?

Because, at least on here, there's an honour badge in watching lower-profile bands on a different stage while the musical masses watch something popular that's on the BBC.

Massive generalisation and it obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but if we're all honest there's a massive amount of musical snobbery on efests. Tie that together with "you're not doing Glastonbury properly if you stay at the Pyramid" and there you go.

And yes, I absolutely count myself in that.  There's an undeniable smugness when someone asks "oh did you see such and such on the Pyramid, we watched it on telly" and you respond with "actually no, I was at a stage you've never heard of watching a troupe of Albanian gypsies on unicycles playing the Star Wars score on kitchen utensils"

Aerosmith on the drift slightly, now 11/10.

Kendrick still favourite 4/6.

Money coming for Coldplay, now 5/4!  Must've been the announcement of the new album.

Fleetwood Mac back into 3/1 after drifting out to 6/1.

Kasabian another mover, now into 10/1, most likely after their announcement yesterday.

18 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Macca has to be there to save me from 3 x Meh, assuming its a toss up between Macca and Reg. Kendrick and Taylor not for me (personally).

Apart from his cocaine years and the stories about how much he's personally spent backstage I've heard nothing, especially not in the past 10-20 years. 

3 minutes ago, Padgey said:

Aerosmith on the drift slightly, now 11/10.

Kendrick still favourite 4/6.

Money coming for Coldplay, now 5/4!  Must've been the announcement of the new album.

Fleetwood Mac back into 3/1 after drifting out to 6/1.

Kasabian another mover, now into 10/1, most likely after their announcement yesterday.

Honestly, this could be verbatim commentary from channel 4 racing, watching the horses limbering up in the paddock...

I’m in the boat that those three headliners are incredibly impressive. Maybe it’s just me being a millennial lol.

I’m seeing the same comment being thrown about. “I just thought they’d do something a bit more special for the 50th”.

If you are one of these people who feel that way can you please provide some bands that fit that mould? I often find when people say that they can’t name any bands.

Or they just say Oasis.

6 minutes ago, Quark said:

Because, at least on here, there's an honour badge in watching lower-profile bands on a different stage while the musical masses watch something popular that's on the BBC.

Massive generalisation and it obviously doesn't apply to everyone, but if we're all honest there's a massive amount of musical snobbery on efests. Tie that together with "you're not doing Glastonbury properly if you stay at the Pyramid" and there you go.

And yes, I absolutely count myself in that.  There's an undeniable smugness when someone asks "oh did you see such and such on the Pyramid, we watched it on telly" and you respond with "actually no, I was at a stage you've never heard of watching a troupe of Albanian gypsies on unicycles playing the Star Wars score on kitchen utensils"

Hmmm, you're spot on you wise little Ferengi.

I did feel a very smug sense of self satisfaction when I kept telling people "Coldplay? pfft nah, I was at LCD Soundsystem watching the greatest gig of all time"

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Matt42 said:

I’m in the boat that those three headliners are incredibly impressive. Maybe it’s just me being a millennial lol.

I’m seeing the same comment being thrown about. “I just thought they’d do something a bit more special for the 50th”.

If you are one of these people who feel that way can you please provide some bands that fit that mould? I often find when people say that they can’t name any bands.

Or they just say Oasis.

Correct! Some people are expecting Glastonbury to force reunions on bands and won't be happy until Oasis, Led Zep and Floyd are announced as headliners. And raise the dead for the legends spot...

2 minutes ago, circus92 said:

You aren’t the only one thinking this - Deffo prefer Reg over Macca.  Also can’t get into Kendrick - everyone on here has me thinking I am missing something but just not getting it.  I also think that you definitely need a proper “Guitar Band” at least one of the nights.  The only one I would differ from you on is Taylor.  If you have only heard a few of her “cheesy” hits then you really should listen a bit more - some cracking tracks on Red such as All too well, and was listening to 1989 again yesterday and reminded me of just how good that album is.  Rep and Lover also very good, but 1989 is hard to beat - give it a go.

Us few clearly aren't as vocal as all the Kendrick fans...I will give her another listen with these recommendations...Thanks!, I have given Kendrick many a chance and every time I didn't enjoy it, so only fair to give Taylor the same chance...and even though I don't like her at the moment I can imagine she puts on a really good show, so the curiosity of that may tempt me to see her. You give me any guitar band really, but we will use some that have been mentioned her...Foals/AM/The 1975 then Reg and Taylor and I think that's some good headliners. Yes The 1975 are more pop now but they are a guitar band and having seen them at Reading this year I know how good they are live so would be all up for seen them again