2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

I've never dug very deep in to Daft Punk so will give the above two albums a go today and see how I get on.

Pre listening judgement based on the singes / songs I have heard in my opinion doesn't make them any better than someone such as Justice.

I think there needs to be an element of remembering they came first in terms of what else was happening at the time.  There are better punk albums than Never Mind the Bollocks or The Clash, but their importance still stands

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

I think there needs to be an element of remembering they came first in terms of what else was happening at the time.  There are better punk albums than Never Mind the Bollocks or The Clash, but their importance still stands

Duly noted.

7 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Duly noted.

Reading it back that sounded INCREDIBLY pompous :D

Enjoy the listening and make your own mind up ;)

7 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

That it was, Sir. That it was. How to close out a festival 101. 

Cigarette hanging from his mouth as well. So wonderfully French.  

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

Fuck it I’ve just put RAM on as the sun is rising in the distance and all my criticisms are out of the window ?

I had my morning's listening all planned out.  This talk of Daft Punk may have just completely kiboshed that :D

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Daft Punk aren’t overrated, they are overhyped.

They made great music and I’m sure some of the past tours were great - but the hype has turned them into a bit of a meme. The reason they are as big as they are right now is because you can’t see them live.

Not touring RAM was very annoying. I imagine they’l make a proper comeback at some point - but when they do a live show again it will be carnage. They surely have to headline Coachella at some point right?

AKA Stone Roses Syndrome. The Roses were roundly ridiculed by the music press after their Reading festival appearance. They disappeared for 20 years and came back as headline stadium messiahs, without actually doing anything in-between to justify it. In the Roses defence they do have one of the greatest albums ever made and Fools Gold in their arsenal but that comeback was built purely on hype. 

Edited by eastynh

Random Access Memories was helped by an incredibly strong first single and some huge collaborations, which seems to be the formula for successful modern pop albums. It was also released at arguably the height of the EDM explosion in America. Personally I was disappointed by it but if we expected another "Homework" from an act that has a reputation for evolving their sound we'd be very mistaken. 

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

AKA Stone Roses Syndrome. The Roses were roundly ridiculed by the music press after their Reading festival appearance. They disappeared for 20 years and came back as headline stadium messiahs, without actually doing anything in-between to justify. In the Roses defence they do have one of the greatest albums ever made and Fools Gold in their arsenal but that comeback was built purely on hype. 

Started this well and then..

FWIW regardless of Ian's vocals they were still fucking brilliant live, Heaton Park being one of the best gigs I've ever had the pleasure to attend. 

giphy-3.gif.149ef40b7a16bfb2c474311b85d2b428.gif

2 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

FWIW regardless of Ian's vocals they were still fucking brilliant live, Heaton Park being one of the best gigs I've ever had the pleasure to attend. 

The Saturday at Heaton Park was also one of my fave gigs as well. Yet the whole re-emergence was a blatant cash grab that was built on nothing more than the hype that surrounded and built up around them in the preceding 20 odd years. They took advantage of that and secured themselves financially for the rest of their lives, who can argue with that. 

I was just noting the similarities in regards to what Matt was saying in regards to Daft Punk. The hype around them is building and building. Now I don't think it will ever get to Stone Roses levels in the UK and they go around filling stadiums for 5 years, but its the same kind of situation that is arising. 

1 minute ago, eastynh said:

The Saturday at Heaton Park was also one of my fave gigs as well. Yet the whole re-emergence was a blatant cash grab that was built on nothing more than the hype that surrounded and built up around them in the preceding 20 odd years. They took advantage of that and secured themselves financially for the rest of their lives, who can argue with that. 

I was just noting the similarities in regards to what Matt was saying in regards to Daft Punk. The hype around them is building and building. Now I don't think it will ever get to Stone Roses levels in the UK and they go around filling stadiums for 5 years, but its the same kind of situation that is arising. 

Oh it was a blatant cash grab, nearly all ruined by Reni in Amsterdam pre Heaton park.

Shame they never did the Pyramid but that ship has sailed....for now.

The only other band that could probably cause that level of hype in the UK would be Oasis I reckon. Even if it is all misplaced because of how shit they were for a long while before the end, the way people lose their minds on social media when it seems as though they may get back together shows that if they did then the Gallagher brothers would be minted even more than now. 

4 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I'd disagree with that bit, purely because they've continued releasing work over their careers. Slowly I'll admit, but at least work's been drip fed through to the punters!  Stone Roses came back with two pretty piss poor singles, and their legacy is pretty much entirely based around the first album. No-one ever really talks about Second Coming.

If anyone fits in the same bracket as Stone Roses, it'll be the bloody Spice Girls!

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

I'd disagree with that bit, purely because they've continued releasing work over their careers. Slowly I'll admit, but at least work's been drip fed through to the punters!  Stone Roses came back with two pretty piss poor singles, and their legacy is pretty much entirely based around the first album. No-one ever really talks about Second Coming.

If anyone fits in the same bracket as Stone Roses, it'll be the bloody Spice Girls!

No way on this earth are Daft Punk doing 3 nights at Heathon Park, 4 or how ever many it was at the Etihad, god knows how many at Wembley, Stadiums in Ireland and Scotland.

As for the Spice Girls comment, that is just ridiculous. There are a lot of negatives attached to the Roses but THAT album is one of the greatest British albums ever made. The Roses are also some of the greatest musicians this country has ever produced. You just can't put the Spice Girls or Daft Punk for that matter in the same bracket.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

I went to Finsbury and was genuinely taken aback by how good and tight the band sounded. Even Brown seemed in tune.

21 minutes ago, eastynh said:

No way on this earth are Daft Punk doing 3 nights at Heathon Park, 4 or how ever many it was at the Etihad, god knows how many at Wembley, Stadiums in Ireland and Scotland.

As for the Spice Girls comment, that is just ridiculous. There are a lot of negatives attached to the Roses but THAT album is one of the greatest British albums ever made. The Roses are also some of the greatest musicians this country has ever produced. You just can't put the Spice Girls or Daft Punk for that matter in the same bracket.

OK maybe badly worded. I'll try again.

Not thinking that Daft Punk would end up filling stadia in the way that Stone Roses did, definitely not that level of hype for them in the UK.  My point's more that SR released one (incredible) album and a less well received follow up, then effectively disappeared for 20 years. They came back with a couple of songs but no real new material, and the hype was built purely on the strength of what they did in the late 80s.

While DP are an undoubted hype machine, they have at least remained relatively consistent (if slow) in their release of new material.  Even if they don't drop another album, a comeback tour now would have 4 albums to draw on (5 if you include Tron: Legacy) with the most recent in 2013.

The comparison with SG has nothing to do with quality, as I love the Roses and think the Girls are utter shite.  The point's more that a Spice Girls comeback now is to all intents and purposes a cash grab based purely on nostalgic fans and absolutely zero new material. That's the similarity I saw anyway.

Edited by Quark

16 hours ago, richarddep said:

Sup y'all.

Is there any reason Justin Timberlake is never in the conversation on the headliner front. I think he would completely kill it?

Are you contesting his size or his back catalogue?

He's got both regardless of what your view of him is and is poppy enough to appease that crowd.

Mad. I really envision a JT Friday slot to get the party started. You're probably right!

Do you know @jntsrb?