2020 headliners

jj200

6 hours ago, StevieGed said:

Fair enough, but again as someone else said previously I think that’s subjective. I feel as if some artists are in a doomed if they do, doomed if they don’t position in these forums. Sheeran being the main culprit. 

Personally I think they’re very similar in terms of their output, musical style, lyrics. Both give you the number 1 pop songs but have a lot better deeper cuts if you go back through their discography. 

In terms of pretty much every measurement of their big hitters (appeal, lyrics, song structure) I can’t tell how they’re that different at all. 

Blank Space, We are Never Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, ME, Bad Blood. In terms of musical integrity are any of them songs any different to A Team, Thinking Out Loud, Castle on the Hill, Shape of You. I could just be missing something personally, but I can’t see that much difference at all as to why one would be regarded as so awful, yet the other applauded.

I’m with you here mate. Not a huge fan of either of them, but respect them both.

Don’t understand why Taylor gets infinitely more praise, especially with some of her more recent songs, look what you made me do (Basically I’m too sexy) and the one that’s starts “we can leave the Christmas lights up till January”????

Can’t say she a massively likeable character either, seems a bit of a diva. 

Nevertheless, think she would be a big booking for the festival, as Ed was.

23 minutes ago, Beeefy said:

I’m with you here mate. Not a huge fan of either of them, but respect them both.

Don’t understand why Taylor gets infinitely more praise, especially with some of her more recent songs, look what you made me do (Basically I’m too sexy) and the one that’s starts “we can leave the Christmas lights up till January”????

Can’t say she a massively likeable character either, seems a bit of a diva. 

Nevertheless, think she would be a big booking for the festival, as Ed was.

Sheeran is a busker, playing shitty fake songs, with a nondescript voice. I heard a Beiber / Sheeran duet in my sisters car & couldn't tell who was singing at what part. Sheeran, Lewis Capaldi, That bloke from who is gagging to play Glastonbury from Xfactor who's name escapes me - they all sound the same. All sing in the same way. Any authenticity has been coached out of their voice. I listened to a Sheeran album & barring 1 song about a deceased parent, the rest of it was fake vomit inducing shite.

Taylor Swift. I went into listening to her albums with an open mind (like I did Sheeran) & found plenty of good tunes. Yes, there is stuff I consider naff & annoying (2 tunes with Sheeran for a start), but there are also some real good tunes. "All too Well" being the highlight. Her tunes are of a pretty wide variety too, from the pure pop, to pretty autobiographical "singer songwriter", to some hip hop inspired stuff. There is some stuff that I do consider to be annoying, she "puts a voice on" at times & they are the in the main the ones I don't like. She has a tendency to repeat the same word a lot (which I don't like) & some of the twee fake tunes (london boy for example) give me the same feelings as the Sheeran album. Vomit.

Tunes like, Knew you were trouble, Blank Space, Wildest Dreams, Lover & Ready for it are great pop tunes.

All too Well, Cornelia Street, New Years Day are great ballady type numbers. 

• Upvote 2

If Sheeran hadn’t have released Galway Girl then I’d have felt like defending him more on here. Hes not to my taste but a bloke with a guitar on his own playing Wembley on his todd is some achievement. He’s obviously ambitious but he doesn’t seem to be too much of a dick. 

But Galway Girl wipes any goodwill towards him. It’s an abomination. He deserves all pelters he gets.

• Upvote 3

57 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Sheeran is a busker, playing shitty fake songs, with a nondescript voice. I heard a Beiber / Sheeran duet in my sisters car & couldn't tell who was singing at what part. Sheeran, Lewis Capaldi, That bloke from who is gagging to play Glastonbury from Xfactor who's name escapes me - they all sound the same. All sing in the same way. Any authenticity has been coached out of their voice. I listened to a Sheeran album & barring 1 song about a deceased parent, the rest of it was fake vomit inducing shite.

Taylor Swift. I went into listening to her albums with an open mind (like I did Sheeran) & found plenty of good tunes. Yes, there is stuff I consider naff & annoying (2 tunes with Sheeran for a start), but there are also some real good tunes. "All too Well" being the highlight. Her tunes are of a pretty wide variety too, from the pure pop, to pretty autobiographical "singer songwriter", to some hip hop inspired stuff. There is some stuff that I do consider to be annoying, she "puts a voice on" at times & they are the in the main the ones I don't like. She has a tendency to repeat the same word a lot (which I don't like) & some of the twee fake tunes (london boy for example) give me the same feelings as the Sheeran album. Vomit.

Tunes like, Knew you were trouble, Blank Space, Wildest Dreams, Lover & Ready for it are great pop tunes.

All too Well, Cornelia Street, New Years Day are great ballady type numbers. 

I actually think James Arthur has a pretty distinctive voice. They listen to Heart in work so its all the throw away pop you mention. It would be James Arthur and Sam Smith who's voices stand out. The rest just blend into each other.

Both swifty and sheeran are a bit meh to me. I enjoy singing along to a couple of tunes from both in the car but I can't imagine going out of my way to see either. I didn't watch Ed when he played (am I right in thinking I was at Justice during that?) but I might see Taylor if nothing clashes for a bit of a dance. 

I would prefer Taylor Swift to 1975 personally.