2020 headliners

jj200

9 hours ago, Gnomicide said:

I've now had 2 people tell me the same thing about the Spice Girls. 

I'd guess it's probably just that the Beckams are going to the festival but I suppose there's a chance.

Yeah I bet they were successful on ticket day no problem, they can afford loads of laptops. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, eFestivals said:

Isn't it?

I've no info about them, but I do think it's very odd how they've suddenly appeared in the betting - and with odds like that. It's strongly suggestive of someone thinking they know something (even if they've got duff info).

The fact it's their 50th too might be a link.

I can't really see them as headliners tho. I think they'd be more likely for the rock slot.

I'm sticking with my "not going to happen" line in the hope it actually does. I'd be delighted.

4 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Judas Priest into Iggy Pop into Aerosmith.

#GammonGlasto hooting and hollering and taps aff. So paralytic by 4pm that they don't remember a second of it.

I saw Aerosmith at the NEC and can only remember the last song. ☹

Boiling up some fine cured ham as I type.

Edited by Gnomicide

3 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Aerosmith have sold more records than:

Bruce Springsteen

Abba

Kanye West

Jay-Z

Fleetwood Mac

The Bee Gees

Beyonce

Coldplay

Guns n Roses

Prince

Paul McCartney

Bob Dylan

The Who

REM

Red Hot Chili Peppers

Stevie Wonder

maybe one of those could play 4th down?

e: one of the ones that isn't dead, preferably.

McDonald’s sell millions of burgers worldwide every day. It doesn’t mean they’re better than a quality steak. If you start picking headliners based purely on album sales we would have Justin beiber and post malone headlining. IMO that’s silly logic that anyone who knows about the festival and the way it’s run would dispute. Aerosmith would be lucky to play 4th down on the pyramid but happy to be proven wrong if they were to draw a big crowd. Couldn’t see them on anything other than the pyramid mind if at all

The fact that glasto sells out before a single act is announced changes the whole dynamic of booking main stage acts. Every other festival books acts based on who will sell tickets and fair play too. However glasto could put anyone on as a headliner Atleast for 1 year and still have a full festival. Eavis n co book headliners based on who will bring the most exciting show and nothing else; although I do often wonder how much of an impact the number of tv viewers on the bbc plays in the booking of it all.

4 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Aerosmith have sold more records than:

Paul McCartney

??????????????????????????????

Justin Timberlake in the mix? Speculation about a tour next year and new stuff with Lizzo? 

Not talked about and not a babee horse in the area.?

Totally never happening but would be ace. 

http://www.mtv.com/news/3142300/justin-timberlake-lizzo-collab-flames/

https://www.bustle.com/p/will-justin-timberlake-tour-the-uk-in-2020-the-pop-icon-might-have-a-new-record-in-the-works-19193560

If I may just climb back onto the "sold more records than these boys" shenanigans; Katy "3rd down" Perry has sold more records than

Kanye West
Bruce Springsteen
Jay-Z
Metallica
Adele
Fleetwood Mac
Beyonce
Coldplay
David Bowie

and did it during the lifetime of most people who go to the festival. First time I heard of Aerosmith was when I went to Disneyworld about 15 years old, and I reckon it was another 3ish years before I learned they weren't just a fictitious Spinal Tap-esque creation for that ride.

If Aerosmith are playing it’s because the band has approached the festival. I think it’s safe to say that Glasto would definitely not be chasing them.

So hypothetically, who would convince Steve Tyler to play a lower slot at the festival? Who is he mates with and what might they have seen on tv?

1 hour ago, jow95 said:

The fact that glasto sells out before a single act is announced changes the whole dynamic of booking main stage acts. Every other festival books acts based on who will sell tickets and fair play too. However glasto could put anyone on as a headliner Atleast for 1 year and still have a full festival. Eavis n co book headliners based on who will bring the most exciting show and nothing else; although I do often wonder how much of an impact the number of tv viewers on the bbc plays in the booking of it all.

Coachella more or less does also. If you want to count their peak attendance years with their early sale in june and then They have another sale in january after The poster is out. They sold quite a bit of tickets with the notion that itll be a good line up. The year that it was known beyonce would perform was very difficult to secure tickets though. And remember that you can just put them on the secondary market if yoh like, so you arent cemented into attending if you bought a ticket. Theyve been trying to secure headliners more than a year out now for a while. Beyonces pregnancy actually had a much bigger effect on future headliners because they had them booked and ready to go well in advance of that happening.

6 hours ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Taylor is just a lot better, there's no equivalency between the two. They're both popular and make pop and are active at a similar time, but that doesn't make them interchange. It's not something exclusive to here, Taylor's music usually reviews much better than Ed's in the press.

Fair enough, but again as someone else said previously I think that’s subjective. I feel as if some artists are in a doomed if they do, doomed if they don’t position in these forums. Sheeran being the main culprit. 

Personally I think they’re very similar in terms of their output, musical style, lyrics. Both give you the number 1 pop songs but have a lot better deeper cuts if you go back through their discography. 

In terms of pretty much every measurement of their big hitters (appeal, lyrics, song structure) I can’t tell how they’re that different at all. 

Blank Space, We are Never Getting Back Together, I Knew You Were Trouble, ME, Bad Blood. In terms of musical integrity are any of them songs any different to A Team, Thinking Out Loud, Castle on the Hill, Shape of You. I could just be missing something personally, but I can’t see that much difference at all as to why one would be regarded as so awful, yet the other applauded.

2 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

I could just be missing something personally, but I can’t see that much difference at all as to why one would be regarded as so awful, yet the other applauded.

Because as you said, it's subjective... A burger is more similar to a hot dog than than it is to an apple but I might love burgers and hate hot dogs. Simple.

17 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Because as you said, it's subjective... A burger is more similar to a hot dog than than it is to an apple but I might love burgers and hate hot dogs. Simple.

Is a burger more similar to a hot dog than than it is to an apple ? They all just food in one sense. Or (dead(ish) ) Carbon based life forms?

Entropy abounds. The only reason any of us are here on this message board is because the sun imparts really huge quantities of energy and we lap it up.

Edited by bamber
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, bamber said:

Is a burger more similar to a hot dog than than it is to an apple ? They all just food in one sense. Or (dead(ish) ) Carbon based life forms?

Entropy abounds. The only reason any of us are here on this message board is because the sun imparts really huge quantities of energy and we lap it up.

A good example of subjectivity, from above a burger looks more like the round apple, from the side more of the shape of a hot dog. Depends which way you look at things like music. 

it would be very boring if we all liked the same music.