2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

and me because of the pure fact they are odds more likely than Taylor which is very odd.

and how many years in a row does this need to happen with people replying saying forget the odds

they are only useful if you want to have a bet, not as a gauge of actual likeliness 

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

and how many years in a row does this need to happen with people replying saying forget the odds

they are only useful if you want to have a bet, not as a gauge of actual likeliness 

no but it shows people have put money on Aerosmith which is an odd bet. Not that its more likely or not.

Just now, Mezhyp1 said:

Game of thrones spoilers below

Bran stark was top odds to win the iron throne a year before season 8 was on TV. Sometimes random things surging in the odds (unprovoked by the media) can have a bit of weight to them.

3 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

She was also in the midst of some of her precious headlining festival dates being cancelled due to low ticket sales so was probably feeling the pressure to try and get her name back out there in any way she could. Aerosmith don’t have that problem and I don’t really see them being the kind of band to be interested in this at all - gotta imagine they’re all about the money and third down the Pyramid certainly isn’t paying well, even at an increased rate.

Yeah I’m not saying this is the start of a pattern or anything - but it was still a big move to see Janet Jackson step down and consider ‘herself’ as a support act. I don’t think Aerosmith are likely at all - I also think Andy Copping would step in and disallow it or kick up a major fuss!

12 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Who cares 

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Me

Me too. Interesting stuff, makes a nice change to the Foals discussions.

9 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

This is an actual Aerosmith album:

220px-Aerosmith_-_Honkin'_On_Bobo.JPG

Honkin' on Bobo

It's great, all covers. Their version of Baby, Please Don't Go is ace.

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

they are, but Nick's words suggested a bigger act than we'd perhaps expect.

I'm not entirely sure how come Nick mentioned the rock slot for 2020(it wasn't said directly to me). He might have offered the info up unprompted, or he might have said it because he was being asked what had happened to the rock slot.

Cheers. I thought Emily mentioned something about it being back and big in an interview before this years festival too? (I cant find anything from a quick search though, so I might be wrong)

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

no but it shows people have put money on Aerosmith which is an odd bet. Not that its more likely or not.

The way you're talking makes it sound like they're inundated with lumpy bets on Aerosmith down at sky, that just isn't what happens 

Aerosmith won't have originally been quoted in the prices. Someone contacts sky and asks for a price on them (suspicions raised at their side), so they offer out say 8s, instead of what should be about 20s, because someone is explicitly asking for it. They back it at that, tell a couple of their mates they've got 8s, they head on for a couple of tenners and sky see this small run of bets in what will be a very illiquid market, and say nah no thanks, and slash the price. It lets them go slightly bigger on acts like Taylor, Elton, Macca and might attract a couple quid back on to them and even up the liability just caused by people having a tickle on Aerosmith. Their game is all about making their book profitable, not about seeing Steve Tyler diving about the Pyramid

2 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Cheers. I thought Emily mentioned something about it being back and big in an interview before this years festival too? (I cant find anything from a quick search though, so I might be wrong)

Yeah was Emily somewhat backtracking after she’d announced the ‘rock/metal’ slot as an official thing earlier in the year - won’t be there in 2019 but got a big’un for 2020.

The bookies run such a tiny book on Glastonbury headliners that a tenner would be enough to slash odds. You could get them to close down betting on a headliner for separate bets adding up to £50, I should think. Ignore it, it’s nonsense, they’re designed to separate you from your money. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Aerosmith won't have originally been quoted in the prices. Someone contacts sky and asks for a price on them (suspicions raised at their side), so they offer out say 8s, instead of what should be about 20s, because someone is explicitly asking for it. They back it at that, tell a couple of their mates they've got 8s, they head on for a couple of tenners and sky see this small run of bets in what will be a very illiquid market, and say nah no thanks, and slash the price. It lets them go slightly bigger on acts like Taylor, Elton, Macca and might attract a couple quid back on to them and even up the liability just caused by people having a tickle on Aerosmith. Their game is all about making their book profitable, not about seeing Steve Tyler diving about the Pyramid

Which is one way of saying it is all handled by an algorithm programmed to ensure that Sky turns a profit no matter who headlines. I expect no human at Sky has even more than a passing concern over what the odds are on this one.

3 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The bookies run such a tiny book on Glastonbury headliners that a tenner would be enough to slash odds. You could get them to close down betting on a headliner for separate bets adding up to £50, I should think. Ignore it, it’s nonsense, they’re designed to separate you from your money. 

Are you saying my £10 on Coldplay is the reason they are on the list. 

5 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Which is one way of saying it is all handled by an algorithm programmed to ensure that Sky turns a profit no matter who headlines. I expect no human at Sky has even more than a passing concern over what the odds are on this one.

Beyond someone who won't really know what they're on about pricing it up originally, yeah pretty much. 

They don't have Glastonbury traders over at sky sitting waiting to take people on with their wealth of knowledge

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

The bookies run such a tiny book on Glastonbury headliners that a tenner would be enough to slash odds.

nah.

I know from when I encouraged people to pile money onto Kasabian that it took a fair bit to alter the odds by a fairly big jump.

For aerosmith to suddenly jump in with those odds suggests to me as a minimum a bet of £200+ from one person or at least £50 from two or more people (and actually, probably much more than that).

10 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

You could get them to close down betting on a headliner for separate bets adding up to £50, I should think.

nope. It took over £500 on Kasabian for that to happen.