2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, Neondrift said:

Been looking but can't find it but I definitely remember seeing a UK interview during the start of the Blurryface era where they said that playing Glastonbury was a big dream of theirs. They've taken lower slots at Radio 1 Big Weekend but that doesn't really count for anything. I'd love to see them there but I do think at this point they'd only take a headline slot, which obviously they wouldn't get

They subbed Foo Fighters at Sziget this summer so I'd say they're perfectly happy to sub.

28 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’d refute that because Tame have a bit of the history with the festival. When they played in 2016 Kevin couldn’t shut up about how much he loved it.

21p have no history with the festival and I doubt they see it as something to ‘step down’ for when they just comfortably headlined Reading and Leeds.

Doesn't really refute it mate - we can only speculate on their personal proclivity to playing certain festivals. But I think Tame Impala would have to drop down at certain other festivals as well to get a slot; Twenty One Pilots I imagine so too.

11 minutes ago, swelsbyuk said:

They subbed Foo Fighters at Sziget this summer so I'd say they're perfectly happy to sub.

Just guessing here but they could surely be happy to sub if Glastonbury get a BIG headliner, if not I could see them possibly holding off from playing this year to play the 50th (Like it has been suggested some artists/bands did) and accept an other stage headline slot...then I suppose if that went down well and they bring out another album which gets good reviews and sells well...we may then be able to think about them headlining in the future?

26 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

someone has just contacted me about the new Glasto book, saying they've seen it. They might send me some proof of that, although I've got no reason to disbelieve them.

I'm told it doesn't say anything about who might be on next year.

edit: they've sent me some proof. :) 

To be honest, I never expected there to be anything in print in such a milestone product of the festival, in case circumstances change.

What I do think could be a possibility is that they use a headliner to promote the book on the day it's released.

Makes so much sense considering the views and coverage it would get as everyone jumps on the back of them announcing a headliner, sharing the post with the headliner holding on to the book or a recorded message of them with the book etc.

10 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

What I do think could be a possibility is that they use a headliner to promote the book on the day it's released.

Makes so much sense considering the views and coverage it would get as everyone jumps on the back of them announcing a headliner, sharing the post with the headliner holding on to the book or a recorded message of them with the book etc.

Do you think there would be a risk in the book release playing second fiddle to the headline announcement in the press though?

Surely they'd want people to be focused on the book.

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Different people mentioned a rumour coming from a book that was due to be published, but there was at least one person who said it wasn't the Glastonbury 50th book they were referring to but another book coming out.

yeah, i know there was a suggestion it might be in a Fleetwood Mac book. Thinking about that one it could just be Mick talking it up in the same way he';s talked it up for the last decade or more. They never used to get rumoured, first time they were was because Mick told a journo they were playing.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I just think some of you are still living in 2015 with shouts of Foals and Biffy to headline Glasto.

The music market moves fast and it has moved on!!!

But have the Glastonbury audience? The real question is who would keep a broad cross section of the punters happy and are they bookable? Foals would certainly be on the smaller side for a headliner, but niche acts have had that slot before. For the record I don’t even especially like them by the way!  

25 minutes ago, Jamesyp42 said:

Do you think there would be a risk in the book release playing second fiddle to the headline announcement in the press though?

Surely they'd want people to be focused on the book.

TBF, if they announce a headliner the day of, or just before the book is released, every article on the web about the headliner would have a "and the festival are releasing a book to commemorate the 50th anniversary" at the bottom. Might actually give the book even more publicity rather than take away. 

7 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I would wager that by the Balance payment date, we would have had the 3 headliners.... so only another 167 days of this to go - ish. Not that long really

Day 165, we are still arguing if 1975 or foals are viable headliners, the only difference is we're on page 1580

3 hours ago, Matt87 said:

Having a big band open the festival on Friday is just too dangerous. There would be a massive rush towards the Pyramid field, and if it was announced prior to Friday, the field would have to be blocked off - like JP was for the Killers. The latter could happen I suppose, but even then there would be massive crowding issues at the entrance/exit points to the Pyramid field. 

More danger of there being a pile-up of people trying to flee from having to hear Coldplay.

3 hours ago, Matt87 said:

Having a big band open the festival on Friday is just too dangerous. There would be a massive rush towards the Pyramid field, and if it was announced prior to Friday, the field would have to be blocked off - like JP was for the Killers. The latter could happen I suppose, but even then there would be massive crowding issues at the entrance/exit points to the Pyramid field. 

Why? What difference does it make, no different to the attraction a headliner pulls to that field in front of the Pyramid on the three nights.

I quite like the idea of it being just as busy for the very start of the festival. Would be a very suitable way to start off the 50th anniversary celebrations.

6 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

Why? What difference does it make, no different to the attraction a headliner pulls to that field in front of the Pyramid on the three nights.

I quite like the idea of it being just as busy for the very start of the festival. Would be a very suitable way to start off the 50th anniversary celebrations.

The difference I imagine would be the quality of the artists on elsewhere. The headliners on the other stages pull some of the crowd away from the Pyramid.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

Programming a busy festival like Glasto is an art. To avoid crowd crushes at any particular stage or at movement pinch-points at any particular time, the acts across the stages have to be balanced to try and attract equally-proportionate crowds to each stage at the same time.

If the Pyramid put on a headliner-sized band as first act while other stages have the normal lowly first acts of the day, the Pyramid might draw a crowd much larger than it would for one of its normal evening headliners.

Edited by eFestivals

25 minutes ago, jparx said:

TBF, if they announce a headliner the day of, or just before the book is released, every article on the web about the headliner would have a "and the festival are releasing a book to commemorate the 50th anniversary" at the bottom. Might actually give the book even more publicity rather than take away. 

Yeah I agree. "Glastonbury releases book" is not really newsworthy for most media outlets.

"Glastonbury announces Elton John as headliner (oh and is also releasing a book)" is both newsworthy for the likes of the Sun and of course completely true.

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Mmmm but the pyramid can take it.

Pretty much everyone was at Kylie and the festival didn’t shut down.

I was going to ask this question. The legend slot is exactly that... no major clashes and everyone goes to the pyramid. I’m expecting much of the same for Diana Ross.