2020 headliners

jj200

4 minutes ago, nikkic said:

Coldplay only really becomes an issue if the other 2 headliners are shit.

Macca and Taylor on the other days? Fine give them another run out.

I don’t want 3 nights at The Pyramid. 

If they’ve got McCartney and Swift they can book any of Coldplay/Foals/1975/Biffy/Kendrick/Kasabian or whoever and it would still look like a big set of headliners. Ok difference if it’s Coldplay that’s three massive headliners but it would be a great opportunity to give someone not quite so big a shot

11 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I wonder what proportion of the the 50th attendees will have never have had the chance to see coldplay  headline  glastonbury ? that said it is a little unimaginative :) and im sure many more will have seen Chris Martin by accident 

This is what I was thinking.

On here, it is understandable that so many are 'fed up' with Coldplay but that is possibly because they've seen them/Chris Martin so many times at the festival. I'd say the majority of less experienced people heading to the festival would love to see Coldplay as they are a massive name.

I've never been, nor does it look like I'll be going in 2020, but for me I'd have Coldplay above 1975 on my list. I'd imagine most 'newbies' would have them above Foals too.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

were Kasabian a festival headliner in '09? I saw them twice that month, supporting Oasis, (missed the glasto set), then Manchester Academy. 

The academy gig was admittedly album warm up show but they hadn't played arenas yet.

I think I was getting them headlining the second stage at T in the Park in 2007 against Snow Patrol of all people and them returning to headline in 2010 muddled up in my brain.

1 minute ago, northernringo said:

This is what I was thinking.

On here, it is understandable that so many are 'fed up' with Coldplay but that is possibly because they've seen them/Chris Martin so many times at the festival. I'd say the majority of less experienced people heading to the festival would love to see Coldplay as they are a massive name.

I've never been, nor does it look like I'll be going in 2020, but for me I'd have Coldplay above 1975 on my list. I'd imagine most 'newbies' would have them above Foals too.

Absolutely and its so often stated on here that Glastonbury is so much more than the Pyramid stage ... and it is .... I for one enjoy them and the sight of the Pyramid Field in 2016 was spectacular !! (although rubbish for the environment ) ...  probably a decent clash would keep me away this time given the opportunity 

2 hours ago, didinowanttohearthat said:

Think Stormzy, Arcade Fire etc would have come in way below that level.

I reckon Stormzy passed when forum members actually carried out the "has your mum heard of him" test. Marvellous scenes.

1 hour ago, JSmurphy said:

Screenshot 2019-10-17 at 10.18.10.png

Attn @Keithy. What does this mean?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Attn @Keithy. What does this mean?

That they hired the same graphic designer as Portsmouth chose for their new club crest and they spent about 5 minutes on it before heading to the pub?

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/pompey-unveil-new-crest/

Edited by Keithy

11 minutes ago, Keithy said:

That they hired the same graphic designer as Portsmouth chose for their new club crest and they spent about 5 minutes on it before heading to the pub?

https://www.portsmouthfc.co.uk/news/2018/march/pompey-unveil-new-crest/

Coldplay up Pompey, Pompey Coldplay up!?

• Upvote 4

I don’t think it’ll be Coldplay, but I do think they’ll be there in some capacity. It’s just what capacity really.

As they are as huge as they are a secret set of theirs would trump the killers in 17 and Foals 19, no doubt, which then becomes pretty dangerous for traffic across the site. I also can’t see it being a very well kept secret either. Ive had a hump for a while that they may be down as a very special guest of sorts and play the pyramid announced, just not as the headliner.

I think that’s something chris Martin would agree too, and it’s really the only possible way I can really think of to include Coldplay on the line up, without a pyramid headline slot and all’s whilst maintain health and safety across the site.

3 times in 9 years is too often surely. If they have either or I think 1975 > Foals. 1975 new album out in February meaning two albums since they last played the other in 2016. Still in a strong ascent whilst I feel Foals have flatlined and have done nothing of major note since their sub slot in 2016 to warrant headlining it, even with albums out since then. 

Friday - 1975 

Saturday - Macca/EJ

Sunday - Taylor

Special guests Coldplay

Coldplay are doing two albums (one experimental, one normal)

Friends of the festival

Will play for free

Same as Fatboy slim, when you have people that popular offering to play for free its hard to say no.

Hoping Coldplay open the pyramid on the Friday, or sub Macca, they probably wont headline because they are very aware of over playing (as a band, Chris is always going to turn up) and its been too soon since last time.

Edited by morph100

10 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Time for us all to accept that Coldplay are very likely to be one of the headliners next year.

• Got a new album out
  • Friends of the festival
  • Headlined multiple times already 

I agree - it just feels like it is happening

I reckon they are one of the two already booked, Taylor Swift being the other.  They will both have had this planned for some time now.

Who will the third be?

I reckon Coldplay opening the pyramid is a good shout (as in, could happen). I don’t think glasto organisers that much self awareness as to book them as a headliner only 2 glastos after they last did.  

It would just be a novel way to do it- and given their objective popularity, the fact their friends of the fest, makes for a “special” way to kick off the 50th

Edited by Jne___

Really not sure what to think of Coldplay for next year. Seems to blindingly obvious they will headline, but I have to think Emily and co. are aware that Chris is quickly becoming a meme. 

I'm gonna go with "they're doing it"

Coldplay 

Elton/Macca/Bruce

Taylor

I mean, you can't argue with it in terms of drawing power.