2020 headliners

jj200

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

A couple of years ago I coined the “Office Test” on here in that your average office is home to a fairly broad range of tastes and degrees of interest in music. From folk who go to two/three gigs a week to those who only have Heart FM on for the drive to work.

A headliner should really be known by at least 50% of an average office.

I bet not even 50% of an average office would entertain going to a music festival.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

A guy who is dishing out trusted info on the Rock Werchter threads says news of new music is coming tomorrow, so this adds up. Pretty smart logo - I’m getting it tatted  for sure.

Any idea when RW will start announcing, Dental? 

54 minutes ago, mcshed said:

I know Kasabian are bigger than Biffy I'm just saying that they are a counter argument to your idea that accepting a sub-slot when you are a festival headliner like Kasabian did in 2009 ends your chances of headlining.

were Kasabian a festival headliner in '09? I saw them twice that month, supporting Oasis, (missed the glasto set), then Manchester Academy. 

The academy gig was admittedly album warm up show but they hadn't played arenas yet.

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I bet not even 50% of an average office would entertain going to a music festival.

Almost certainly not, but most of them are at least aware of the existence of Glastonbury and would probably watch a little bit on telly if there was someone on they fancied. If you tell anyone you’re going the first question is always “who’s playing?”

The festival is a huge cultural event, stretching beyond just the 205,000 people on the farm.

Edited by Hugh Jass

29 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I find the whole thing fascinating really. In all honesty outside this forum I never hear foals mentioned at all. If I approached some of the people I was going to the festival with and told them foals were rumoured to headline they’d actually think I was talking rubbish. I just think it’s hilarious how disconnected this forum can be with the outside world and a lot of the clientele which attend the festival. I’m not here to stamp out the foals fans but I find the debate and echo chamber here fascinating where a band playing the O2 next to one playing Olympia is considered ‘much of a muchness’. 

that's the difference innit, I hear them talked about all the time. Not really from my mates either, people on nights out and the like. People all over twitter (commenting on trending shit, not stuff I follow which is all simpsons and lefty politics) reckon they should headline. 

With all the metrics and stuff people throw about, and putting aside how good they are or not, they're a proppa festival band, no one would bat an eyelid if they headline, probably just shrug (which is fine sometimes).

I'm not even that big a Foals fan really, I find it bizarre I'm called deranged every 2 pages because we have different experiences talking to people outside of this dump.

9 minutes ago, jparx said:

Any idea when RW will start announcing, Dental? 

Nope. But usually Fridays around now, and Coldplay are rumoured for it so it would fit very well if those two announcements are joined up.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Almost certainly not, but most of them are at least aware of the existence of Glastonbury and would probably watch a little bit on telly if there was someone on they fancied. If you tell anyone you’re going the first question is always “who’s playing?”

The festival is a huge cultural event, stretching beyond just the 205,000 people on the farm.

Booking to appeal to people who will never go doesn’t sit right well with me. But anyway, the argument is there that Glastonbury is the name people know and why they’re watching, and the recognition of acts is less vital.

I think Coldplay will definitely headline off the back of these two albums but I wonder if they might prefer to wait until both are out. From what I've read it seems like the second one will be the more upbeat one with presumably more hits, if it's not out by next summer then they might prefer to wait until 2021 and play more songs from that.

11 minutes ago, northernringo said:

Who would people prefer from Coldplay/Foals/1975?

If I had to choose then it would be Foals but preferably none of the above. 

Saw Foals at electric picnic years ago and had a blast but was less enthused at their Glastonbury set.

Don't get the 1975 and singer properly gets on my tits. 

And Coldplay. Again? Seriously. Jesus. 

I see in 2-3 years 1975 being way beyond Foals levels, more so than they are now, so I think picking them as a headliner will be seen as a really good move. Foals has an Arcade Fire feel to them, of they're gonna do it eventually, but when is the time to pull for it. Is it now? I don't know, if its not this year, I don't think they play this time. 

1 hour ago, a6l6e6x said:

I like to base who can headline on what you think the response would be if you asked a random person in the street do you know who x band are

For example if I asked 10 random people in the street do you know the band foals I think only 3/10 would 

If I asked do you know who the killers are I would expect around 9/10

For me a headliner should achieve 7/10 or more

Furthermore I have not put this into practice at all and I am probably completely wrong

Kendrick would not get the desired 7/10, therefore not big enough to headline...

*Fingers crossed

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1