2020 headliners

jj200

9 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Biffy Clyro and Foals are both the same in that their fans are hell bent on them headlining even when it’s clear that the bands are just not big enough. 2017 was the nail in the coffin for Biffy’s chances of headlining Glasto.

Different in that Foals are actually headlining if rumours are to be believed. Maybe Emily is a mad, desperate Foals fan?

1 minute ago, Jne___ said:

Dare I utter these words, but am I right in thinking Taylor swift also has a Hyde park / bst shaped hole in her dates too? Or has BST already been announced?

She does, but I would have thought they'd have just announced her at the same time as her other European dates, rather than wait like Glasto would.

51 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Biffy Clyro and Foals are both the same in that their fans are hell bent on them headlining even when it’s clear that the bands are just not big enough. 2017 was the nail in the coffin for Biffy’s chances of headlining Glasto.

biffy no, but a good live band.

Foals can headline imo, they probably won't because there will be 3 acts booked that are already 'natural' headliners, but i think they could if called upon.

14 hours ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Neil Young's Country Home is an unironic version of Blur's Country House, with a wealthy rock star boasting about owning a ranch. 

I'm going to half agree - it's a song with very few layers, and it does seem to be referring to a second home, which isn't exactly within reach of most people.  But... it doesn't strike me as being a big house or ranch he's talking about, I picture it as a cottage or something like that.

EDIT: and it's not very good.

Edited by stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

The thing is whilst neither band would be the sort of booking that the festival would chase if the new year came around and there was a gap that needing filling neither would look out of place on the top of the line-up. 

Re Biffy 2017 is it that dissimilar to Kasabian taking the sub slot in 2009 when they'd already headlined elsewhere? Kasabian managed to come back and headline so why couldn't Biffy?

Basically although you are right that if things are going to plan neither would top the bill, they'd both make reasonable backups.

I think a lot of people overestimate Foals size. Put Foals against some strong options on the other, jp, west holts, dance tents etc and I think they would really struggle to get a decent crowd on the pyramid.

Plus you’ve got to account for those who have seen them umpteen times throughout their whole career and would give them a miss to check the rest of the festival out.

A pyramid headliner needs to be something that other stages are competing against!

Just now, mcshed said:

The thing is whilst neither band would be the sort of booking that the festival would chase if the new year came around and there was a gap that needing filling neither would look out of place on the top of the line-up. 

Re Biffy 2017 is it that dissimilar to Kasabian taking the sub slot in 2009 when they'd already headlined elsewhere? Kasabian managed to come back and headline so why couldn't Biffy?

Gonna be pedantic but I strongly disagree. Kasabian are way bigger than Biffy and Foals. Kasabian have headlined more festivals and played bigger gigs. Had more chart success.

In the words of @Mash011 they are bigger in every conceivable metric. It’s not much of a muchness where one can sell out their own open field show and the other can’t. 

To be honest I think any headliner on the Pyramid will pull a fine crowd nowadays. There's a huge "fear of missing out" and novelty factor when it comes to the Pyramid headliners. Foals may be on the smaller end of headliners but they do have a strong following amongst Glastonbury goers as well. I wouldn't be worried about them at all.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Gonna be pedantic but I strongly disagree. Kasabian are way bigger than Biffy and Foals. Kasabian have headlined more festivals and played bigger gigs. Had more chart success.

In the words of @Mash011 they are bigger in every conceivable metric. It’s not much of a muchness where one can sell out their own open field show and the other can’t. 

I know Kasabian are bigger than Biffy I'm just saying that they are a counter argument to your idea that accepting a sub-slot when you are a festival headliner like Kasabian did in 2009 ends your chances of headlining.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are we stuck in some sort of loop where the same people say the same tedious things about Foals every few hours?

It’s just that contentious of a debate I guess.

I keep chipping in because it seems the Foals fans refuse to roll over and disregard pure facts as ‘much of a muchess’.

They could sub in 2020 and Biffy could headline the other stage and I still reckon people will be predicting both bands to headline on their next album. 

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Are we stuck in some sort of loop where the same people say the same tedious things about Foals every few hours?

Come on there's been talk of Chris Martin, Biffy and I'm sure if you give it an hour or two The 1975 will pop up again. It's a loop but it doesn't just feature baby horses. 

1 minute ago, mcshed said:

I know Kasabian are bigger than Biffy I'm just saying that they are a counter argument to your idea that accepting a sub-slot when you are a festival headliner like Kasabian did in 2009 ends your chances of headlining.

Kasabian were not established headliners in 2009.

Also if were gonna go there. Kasabian released a pretty big album in 2011 and 2014 which kept their momentum going.

Biffy clearly peaked in 2014 with opposites and have been on a commercial decline since. They aren’t going to suddenly become mainstream again - the ship has sailed.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s just that contentious of a debate I guess.

I keep chipping in because it seems the Foals fans refuse to roll over and disregard pure facts as ‘much of a muchess’.

They could sub in 2020 and Biffy could headline the other stage and I still reckon people will be predicting both bands to headline on their next album. 

Thank you for your service you brave soul.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

7 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kasabian were not established headliners in 2009.

Also if were gonna go there. Kasabian released a pretty big album in 2011 and 2014 which kept their momentum going.

Biffy clearly peaked in 2014 with opposites and have been on a commercial decline since. They aren’t going to suddenly become mainstream again - the ship has sailed.

Not sure where you've pulled this from considering Ellipsis came out three years later and commercially outperformed Opposites.