2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Worth reminding ourselves now and then that Emily has never actually promised to go above and beyond for next year.

I do remember her saying, probably about this time last year, that some of the acts they were after for 2019 were holding off for the 50th. Not that that means going above and beyond, but it’s intriguing to think who it might be.

I'm actually a bit bored of the Coldplay meme around here now, and personally don't think they'll be headlining next year. I think people have nailed it with:

The 1975 / Taylor Swift / Elton

I'd probably see EJ but be elsewhere for the other two.

Edit: Comically I'll add that I would happily take Coldplay over either of the first two I said as I've not seen them and they're meant to be amazing live. 

Edited by zeppelin

19 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

I'm actually a bit bored of the Coldplay meme around here now, and personally don't think they'll be headlining next year. I think people have nailed it with:

The 1975 / Taylor Swift / Elton

I'd probably see EJ but be elsewhere for the other two.

Edit: Comically I'll add that I would happily take Coldplay over either of the first two I said as I've not seen them and they're meant to be amazing live. 

They will haunt you wherever you go unfortunately ... and at least here its pretty much restricted to one thread or sometimes 2 ... on other sites it pretty well all they talk about .... 

Neil Young.

Because he shits on everybody else and why not remind ourselves what its all about.

I dont mind Elton John or macca as the heritage act but its all so tame. Neil is still raging against the machine (or at least monsanto) after all these years and isnt that what rock n roll, festivals and glasto are (or at least were) all (or partly) about?

I think I just realised what I hate about all this contemporary pop. Art for me should be about transcending a little but contemporary music is so relentlessly stuck in the real events of the authors lives. Its so light on metaphor, euphemism and i guess poetry. The romance is dead. Drake wants you to ’call me on my cellphone’. I suppose people cling to it because everybody feels insecure nowadays so its nice to feel like you belong ’oh i call people on my cellphone too!’. But i just wanna hear about a cowgirl in the sand baby, or words between the lines of age.

My wednesday post beer tuppence.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Neil Young's Country Home is an unironic version of Blur's Country House, with a wealthy rock star boasting about owning a ranch. 

Well I gotta say it doesn’t read like that from the lyrics, more an homage to living in the country. But if you have a source for that claim then feel free to share are you just spouting pure shite in a matter of fact way to make it seem like you know what you’re talking about?

Edited by mattiloy
a spare the
  • Upvote 1

Just now, CaledonianGonzo said:

Wait until you hear what A Man Needs A Maid is about.

Haha thats what I mean. If you’re trolling fair enough I’m on the hook but for real if you’re saying you’re taking literally the lyrics of a man who I said the beauty of his work was the metaphor and all that, i.e. that it is not to be take literally, then i dunno. I guess you look at a rorshach test and see.... an ink stain.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Haha thats what I mean. If you’re trolling fair enough I’m on the hook but for real if you’re saying you’re taking literally the lyrics of a man who I said the beauty of his work was the metaphor and all that, i.e. that it is not to be take literally, then i dunno. I guess you look at a rorshach test and see.... an ink stain.

For clarity, I'm a huge admirer of Neil Young and like pop music. The two aren't incompatible.

Fr'instance:

That said I'm note sure I generally rate Neiler that much as a lyricist.  Country Home seems pretty unambiguously about having a big fuck off ranch - though your guess is as good as mine as what potatoes have to do with it.

22 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

For clarity, I'm a huge admirer of Neil Young and like pop music. The two aren't incompatible.

Fr'instance:

That said I'm note sure I generally rate Neiler that much as a lyricist.  Country Home seems pretty unambiguously about having a big fuck off ranch - though your guess is as good as mine as what potatoes have to do with it.

I dont read it like that I gotta say. There is a big leap in meaning between country home fuck off ranch. Maybe you’re right but at least to me, it seems more innocent.

I guess you are right on the first point though and I concede that I do actually realism in art has merit too, but I suppose I just lament that the balance is too far in that direction at the moment. I harbour hope though, these things are cyclical i suppose.. after all wjat goes around goes around goes around comes all the way back around.. in the words of a Mr J timbre lake i do believe

32 minutes ago, StevieGed said:

If the festival gets to choose, who do you think Emily/Michael would go with out of opting for Coldplay or the The 1975 in this instance? Both offers where on the table and they could have who they liked. Pros and cons for either choice.

Depends how safe they want to play it - any other year they would definitely pick the 1975 as they haven’t headlined before, but for the 50th I think given the choice they would go for Coldplay.  They just have such an association with the festival that they would find it hard to ignore them for such a big anniversary.

Coldplay pros - one of the biggest bands in the world, put on a fantastic live show, friends of the festival, new album coming, massive profile - lots of PR

Coldplay cons - headlined recently, headlined many times, people fed up with Chris Martin appearing

1975 pros - critically acclaimed last album,  environmental  activity / Greta Thunberg track, definitely feels like their time has arrived, new album in February, touring relentlessly so will be in the groove, headlined Reading this year and smashed it so ready for the big one

1975 cons - seem to polarise opinion ( but then who doesn’t), not as high a profile as Coldplay,  seem to really skew towards a younger demographic compared to Coldplay, back catalogue nowhere near as well known

In short - based on my pros and cons they should pick the 1975, but they will probably pick Coldplay based on the anniversary thing.

I will be there for either - love them both live so win/win for me if it came to that choice.

1 hour ago, mattiloy said:

Contemporary music is so relentlessly stuck in the real events of the authors lives. Its so light on metaphor, euphemism and i guess poetry. The romance is dead. Drake wants you to ’call me on my cellphone’. I suppose people cling to it because everybody feels insecure nowadays so its nice to feel like you belong ’oh i call people on my cellphone too!’.

Yawn. You're making it up as you go along g. Imagine being this obsessed with not liking a genre. There's plenty out there that appeals to the requirements you've suggested but if you hate it that much just don't listen and move on without digging everything and everyone out.