2020 headliners

jj200

Starting to come around to the idea of Elton next year. Wanted to see him at Glastonbury since I started going, but didn't really see it happening. Thinking it might actually be on the cards now. He's at least active and touring, and he could be the one who has been booked for quite a while.

What about Taylor and Elton being booked, and Macca is the one they're negotiating with? Legendary trio there.

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

What about Taylor and Elton being booked, and Macca is the one they're negotiating with? Legendary trio there.

Works the same when you replace Elton with Little Bruce Springsteen.

I think with Elton it comes down to whether we believe there is a burning desire within him to tick it off the list. There’s nothing to suggest either way but we know from his quotes that he’s never seen an offer from the fest, whether his team have blocked them or there hasn’t been one. IMO that run of US dates ending June 11th gets extended and the dream disappears forever.

3 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I’ve dipped my toes into what are considered to be the best representations of a lot of genres (but not metal or country coz fuck that shite) why wouldn’t you? Only takes a google and stream or download.

I did give TPAB a spin based on what I picked up on here. For my ears it's ok, but nothing that I want to listen to again. Although I could have saved time and applied the "fuck that shite" filter to it as its hip hop ;)

My point is when literally everyone is saying how great Kendrick is, Frank Ocean is, Kanye West is, Radiohead are, other acts that have been so acclaimed in the past 5/10 years why wouldn’t you give their record an hour of your time? 

Thing with recommendations and acclaimed stuff is you physically can't fit everything in. Time is a fucker like that. It's why I've never read War & Peace or Pride & Prejudice, or never watched Breaking Bad or The Sopranos. It's not necessarily anything to do with dismissing something out of hand, but I have to choose where to point my time. If that means genres or artists get overlooked, regardless of how critically acclaimed they are, well never mind.

If you’d have told me 10 years ago Beyoncé’s sister would have made one of the best records of 2016 I’d have laughed you out of town but everyone was hyping it so I listened to it and it was brilliant

On that we agree. Bloody good album.

10 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I think with Elton it comes down to whether we believe there is a burning desire within him to tick it off the list. There’s nothing to suggest either way but we know from his quotes that he’s never seen an offer from the fest, whether his team have blocked them or there hasn’t been one. IMO that run of US dates ending June 11th gets extended and the dream disappears forever.

What’s your thinking for the trio then and the two already booked? If it’s not FM, Macca wasn’t booked two years ago who do you think it would be? I reckon your right with the American dates getting extended. 

1 hour ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

This is the first article that comes up when you google it:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.refinery29.com/amp/en-gb/2017/06/159079/how-much-glastonbury-pays-artists-bands

The Rolling Stones were even reported to have made a loss for headlining Glastonbury in 2013 because they spent money on revamping the Pyramid Stage.”

Not convinced by that. Need to know what their source is as it’s the first I’ve heard of it. They had a ramp (or two?) down to the crowd but so did others like U2 and Springsteen I think.

13 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Yep, good points.

Those US dates could play out the same as Macca last year, where those dates kept getting extended until it ruled him out. We'll see. 

5 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

What’s your thinking for the trio then and the two already booked? If it’s not FM, Macca wasn’t booked two years ago who do you think it would be? I reckon your right with the American dates getting extended. 

I'm not sold on the 'booked two years ago' thing FWIW. If that is true then those two are probably Taylor Swift and Coldplay.

As said in my post, I'm thinking Springsteen (I know he wouldn't have been booked two years ago) and Swift, with McCartney the one they've been trying to get all summer. But I don't think he'll agree to it, leading to a backup choice who I will not name for fear of widespread ridicule.

edit: Springsteen is just the latest thing in my mind though because he's legendary and touring next summer. Someone else who hasn't played before could pop up and make more sense.

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

Not convinced by that. Need to know what their source is as it’s the first I’ve heard of it. They had a ramp (or two?) down to the crowd but so did others like U2 and Springsteen I think.

Lots of other articles suggest it if you google it including one from the BBC. It probably does. Either party any harm to suggest the Stones made a loss doing it though does it? Wether they actually did or not is probably another matter.

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Stones reportedly got a higher than usual fee. Maybe the Eavi aren’t so keen to raise the fee for the Mac, especially in their current lesser state. Either way, fuck em.

That was my point. The Stones took £750k as to the £4m odd they would normally command. My understanding was Glastonbury didn't offer much more than £250k to any other headliner but the revenue, whoever may have headlined before, would have compensated 'said' act in record sales 

15 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

If....someone was booked way back then Reg makes sense with his farewell tour thing rolling around. 

Cher for the legend slot.