2020 headliners

jj200

the reaction on here to kendrick lamar ... i dont know if its worrying or laughable. one of the most important rappers of a generation with an incredible message that should resonate strongly with the glastonburys ethos... just kinda disregarded as a nothing rapper.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, TiZuff said:

the reaction on here to kendrick lamar ... i dont know if its worrying or laughable. one of the most important rappers of a generation with an incredible message that should resonate strongly with the glastonburys ethos... just kinda disregarded as a nothing rapper.

I hold my hands up to being ignorant and not giving him a listen. Maybe down to my love of the old stool rappers but I'm going to jump in. Where do i start? 

Just now, Slugworth said:

I hold my hands up to being ignorant and not giving him a listen. Maybe down to my love of the old stool rappers but I'm going to jump in. Where do i start? 

If you are a fan of old west coast rap then to pimp a butterfly is a great album for you ? 

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

If you are a fan of old west coast rap then to pimp a butterfly is a great album for you ? 

i guess i am, loved 2pac, snoop and 2001 was the ultimate album but i always sided with the east coast stuff, Wu Tang, Biggie, Jay Z etc

I had a brief listen to PAB and it didn't grab me on the first listen

1 minute ago, Slugworth said:

i guess i am, loved 2pac, snoop and 2001 was the ultimate album but i always sided with the east coast stuff, Wu Tang, Biggie, Jay Z etc

I had a brief listen to PAB and it didn't grab me on the first listen

I remember you was conflicted 

• Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, Bradders said:

Robyn sold out 2 nights at Ally Pally, can we have her headline instead please?

Err.. I was not using the basis of selling out two nights at Ally Pally as a reason as to why Foals should headline. I was simply replying to someone who said they shouldn’t even be discussed because they hadn’t played The O2. When actually, they sold more tickets for two nights at Ally Pally than they would have for one night at The O2, that's all.

9 minutes ago, Friendly Banter said:

Kendrick Lamar has two classic hip hop albums and has headlined Coachella, he easily can headline Glastonbury.  Kendrick is considered the best lyricist out there by nearly every critic. 

3/3 coachella headliners this year would get nowhere near the top slot at glastonbury.

You are correct, hes a big hip hop artist, and hip hop is big in the USA, its not that big in the uk. Thats the reality. A lot of people have myopia with the acts they prefer. Echo chambers and all that.

30 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Just start with his second Studio album Good Kid M.A.A.D City.

His first album, Section 80, is a wonderful record, but GKMC is a masterpiece so might as well start there.

To Pump a Butterfly is also a masterpiece and extremely politically charged with a lot of conscious rap. It's also very experimental and has a lot of hip-hop - jazz fusion.

He then has a mixtape called "Untitled" with eight untitled songs whcih is also a 10/10 record for me.

Then his most recent (although quite a while ago) studio album DAMN is also absolutely brilliant and a huge commercial success

6 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

3/3 coachella headliners this year would get nowhere near the top slot at glastonbury.

You are correct, hes a big hip hop artist, and hip hop is big in the USA, its not that big in the uk. Thats the reality. A lot of people have myopia with the acts they prefer. Echo chambers and all that.

Tame Impala were relatively to close to a glasto Headliner to be fair, given they headlined Other.

Childish Gambino would be absolutely fire, but yeah wouldn't be a headliner here.

29 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Section 80. ADHD, Rigamourtous, Hii Power.

I think his best work is Good Kid Mad City personally. Timing of the album and him emerging at that time 2011/12 as the next big thing, it all pretty much fell perfectly into place for him. Mad City, The Art of Peer Pressure, Sing About Me I’m Dying of Thirst and The Recipe my favourites of this album.

TPAB carries much more of a message and is more than a music album if you sort of get where I’m coming from. Hood Politics, i, Momma, Blacker the Berry and Mortal Man on this one.

When shit hit the fan is you still a fan. Stuck with me when I first listened TPAB.

DAMN is decent, but for me it was quite forgettable. Humble and DNA probably the stand out tunes, Duckworth was my favourite off the album. 

If Kendrick is there, I’d say that’s a decent indication we get the rest of TDE also. I’m very much here for Q, Jay Rock, Ab soul and SZA at Glastonbury.