2020 headliners

jj200

5 minutes ago, thrillhouse188 said:

I only joined after getting tickets last year, the day Paul McCartney was ruled out goes down as one of my favourite days on here, forum in total meltdown.

Last year it was The Strokes who are(n't) big enough to headline!

4 minutes ago, Quark said:

It's too late for us. Save yourself.

Tell others of what you saw here as a warning, lest the evil persist

I'm loving every minute of it.

When it gets to Glastonbury weekend itself, do some posters completely forget that they've got tickets, instead sitting indoors on the computer and gloating about the size of Foals' Other Stage crowd?

4 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

James Arthur has more monthly spotify listeners than Foals, The 1975, Stormzy, Tame Impala, The Killers, The Cure, Catfish and the lads, Janet Jackson, Radiohead, Paul McCartney, Elton John #StreamingNumbersMatter

He has 3 times as many listeners as The 1975, so I guess they will be subbing him?

That is sobering indeed.

Just now, ghostdancer1 said:

well it is relevant, as you asked "Name me one Glastonbury headliner in the past 20 years that doesn’t have a UK #1 album.".

I was just about to edit. 

I concede that having a 1 album is vital to headlining Glastonbury. However, with Stevie and Jay Z they both have something that Foals don’t which is hit singles and massive cultural relevancy.

@Mash011 ‘s point is right - it’s not an Arcade Fire situation where they might not have hit singles but at least have some high charting / selling albums and massive tours across the world.

Foals fall short in literally every single metric. The only metric foals fans are throwing out is that they are “good live”.

Diana Ross being announced has only made this place go into utter meltdown, we needed some headliner news to have some sort of a clue who they were aiming towards this year. Instead we have to wait longer now I fear which means more squabbling over the Foals, 1975 and the like. 

FWIW if either Foals or 1975 play i'm not unhappy as it gives me a night away from the Pyramid. 1975 are bigger than foals tbf. 

Edited by Doug85

Just got an email about Foals tour offering very little insight other than they’re active. 

“2020 UK TOUR
We’ve got to rip up the road in 2020…

29 April | Edinburg | Usher Hall
02 May | London | Olympia
06 May | Blackpool | Empress Ballroom
09 May | Birmingham | Arena
10 July | Cardiff | Castle”

3 minutes ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

I'm loving every minute of it.

When it gets to Glastonbury weekend itself, do some posters completely forget that they've got tickets, instead sitting indoors on the computer and gloating about the size of Foals' Other Stage crowd?

The Wednesday meet at Ridge & Furrow is a hoot. It's basically like the gang truce meeting at the start of The Warriors. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

The Wednesday meet at Ridge & Furrow is a hoot. It's basically like the gang truce meeting at the start of The Warriors. 

By sunday it's turned into a Fight Club scenario where Mash is chucking himself down the big hill because he heard someone whisper that The 1975 are shit. 

First time in years I’ve had tickets at this stage. Normally I don’t come on here much until the Resale so it’s quite exciting to be in for the months where everyone tries to nail down the criteria for a Glastonbury headliner. I usually spend my November on a platting water forum and then January trying to herd cats. Same thing.

I’m not sure about either 1975 or Foals. Neither of them scream 50th anniversary headliner. They could comfortably sub on a normal year or at least headline the other stage but I don’t think they’re big enough for an anniversary of this magnitude. Just look at the names being mentioned in the thread. 1975 & Foals just aren’t in the same league. 

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

if there was really going to be something which screamed 50th anniversary headliner, then previous years would have screamed "we could have booked better but chose not to". :P 

That’s 2019’s headliners very well summed up! 

I wasn’t bothered about missing out this year. The headliners definitely seemed like they were saving the really big guns for 2020. 

1 minute ago, squirrelarmy said:

I wasn’t bothered about missing out this year. The headliners definitely seemed like they were saving the really big guns for 2020. 

What would you class as 3 really big guns? And can they afford 3 big guns? Just because I feel some peoples hopes and guesses are a bit unrealistic...

5 minutes ago, squirrelarmy said:

Me, I'm pretty damned sure it's the same every year - that they book the best of who's available to them. 

We seen Thom Yorke has announced 2020 tour dates 

JUNE 2020
Friday  19 – SEC (Scottish Events Centre) Hall 3, Glasgow
Saturday 20 – O2 Victoria Warehouse, Manchester
Tuesday 23 – Eventim Apollo, London
Wednesday 24 – Eventim Apollo, London

JULY 2020
Wednesday 1 – Open’er Festival, Gdynia, Poland
Wednesday 1 – Saturday 4 – Roskilde Festival, Denmark
Monday 6 – AFAS Live, Amsterdam, Netherlands
Thursday 9 – Ippodromo del Galoppo di San Siro, Milan, Italy
Saturday 11 – Pohoda Festival, Slovakia