2020 headliners

jj200

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t sympathise with the arguments that metrics mean nothing to becoming a Glastonbury headliner.

Name me one Glastonbury headliner in the past 20 years that doesn’t have a UK #1 album.

The organisers may not like to admit it but it definitely exists behind the curtain. 

Neil Young only ever had one back in the 70s, The Cure had one in '92.

Maybe that's why Depeche Mode have never played? Emily has been laughing them out the office telling them to come back when they've had a no 1 hit single.

Edited by Mouseboy11

I saw Yannis Philippakis at a supermarket in Oxford yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for photos or anything. He said, “Oh, like you’re doing now?” I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Milky Ways in his hands without paying.
The girl at the counter was very nice about it and professional, and was like “Sir, you need to pay for those first.” At first he kept pretending to be tired and not hear her, but eventually turned back around and brought them to the counter. When she took one of the bars and started scanning it multiple times, he stopped her and told her to scan them each individually “to prevent any electrical infetterence,” and then turned around and winked at me. I don’t even think that’s a word. After she scanned each bar and put them in a bag and started to say the price, he kept interrupting her by yawning really loudly.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Gingerfish79 said:

There seem to have been an awful lot of pages added to this thread recently amounting to very little in terms of discussion... would somebody therefore be kind enough to provide a quick update on the latest rumours? 

FM? Macca? EJ? Foals? 1975?

FM ruled out, as are Led Zeppelin, basically no one has a clue at this point

• Like 1

Just now, Gingerfish79 said:

There seem to have been an awful lot of pages added to this thread recently amounting to very little in terms of discussion... would somebody therefore be kind enough to provide a quick update on the latest rumours? 

FM? Macca? EJ? Foals? 1975?

FM stated not booked by Emily.

Macca rumour has resurfaced a bit, but still nothing really substantiated.

Nothing new on Elton.

Folas and 1975 remains the equivalent of drunks yelling at each other outside a pub.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I really don’t sympathise with the arguments that metrics mean nothing to becoming a Glastonbury headliner.

Name me one Glastonbury headliner in the past 20 years that doesn’t have a UK #1 album.

The organisers may not like to admit it but it definitely exists behind the curtain. 

Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z at the time, Skunk Anansie

The Who and Neil Young both just about qualify as they had one no.1 album each in the 70s, with loads of subsequent albums nowhere near the top 10.

for those not bothered to look it up, Foals albums have charted 3,8,2,3,2.

Just now, David Gray (90+2) said:

I'm so happy that I got my first ever Glastonbury ticket last Sunday, but I'm even happier that I found this forum. :lol:

This place is fucking mental, running battles over whether Foals are big enough to headline a stage. I love it.

I only joined after getting tickets last year, the day Paul McCartney was ruled out goes down as one of my favourite days on here, forum in total meltdown.

Last year it was The Strokes who are(n't) big enough to headline!

2 minutes ago, David Gray (90+2) said:

I'm so happy that I got my first ever Glastonbury ticket last Sunday, but I'm even happier that I found this forum. :lol:

This place is fucking mental, running battles over whether Foals are big enough to headline a stage. I love it.

It's too late for us. Save yourself.

Tell others of what you saw here as a warning, lest the evil persist

6 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Stevie Wonder, Jay-Z at the time, Skunk Anansie

The Who and Neil Young both just about qualify as they had one no.1 album each in the 70s, with loads of subsequent albums nowhere near the top 10.

for those not bothered to look it up, Foals albums have charted 3,8,2,3,2.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said 20 years. Skunk is probably the only example that you can bring up - Jay-Z and Stevie Wonder obviously beat Foals in pretty much every metric, so whether they had a UK #1 album or not is a bit irrelevant.

Just now, Matt42 said:

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said 20 years. Skunk is probably the only example that you can bring up - Jay-Z and Stevie Wonder obviously beat Foals in pretty much every metric, so whether they had a UK #1 album or not is a bit irrelevant.

well it is relevant, as you asked "Name me one Glastonbury headliner in the past 20 years that doesn’t have a UK #1 album.".

Just now, Matt42 said:

I reckon they had fewer Spotify streams at the time as well..

• Upvote 1