2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, ModBoy said:

Wait so you wanted them to headline in 2016...they didn't but have since released their best album with another on the way that should be on the same level and all of a sudden they shouldn't because of sales and Spotify plays etc. Makes sense...

If other people thought like you in 2016 and enjoyed what they have released since of course they are going to want them to headline and think that they can

I've never said I don't want them to headline I'm saying that the festival won't book them to headline. This ain't about personal opinions chief. This is festival predicting,. It's serious business that takes serious intellectual rigour. And I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, have analysed the facts and decreed them not big enough to headline.

If popularity, sales, streaming metrics, chart positions don’t matter. Why are all of Glastonbury’s headliners typically high charting/selling/streaming artists?

Playing a busy secret set does not equal demand for headlining the fucking pyramid. Put Foals against another heavyweight on the other stage, JP, dance tents, SE corner and you’l have a tiny crowd.

I admire that Foals fans are desperate but the mental gymnastics to make them big enough to headline is absurd. How come Foals are allowed a pass on pretty much every metric possible? Yet we would question whether Catfish & The Bottlemen would headline when they’ve achieved much more than Foals?

At this point I’m totally convinced that it’s a load of dire hard Foals fans desperately wanting it to happen.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Tubelord and the lads gnashing their teeth in disbelief that there was only space in the zeitgeist for one anonymous math-rock act.

Have to say, I was big in to that scene around 07/08 and of all the bands I thought would make it, Foals were pretty low on the list.

*Ducks for cover*

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I've never said I don't want them to headline I'm saying that the festival won't book them to headline. This ain't about personal opinions chief. This is festival predicting,. It's serious business that takes serious intellectual rigour. And I, in my great and unmatched wisdom, have analysed the facts and decreed them not big enough to headline.

I’l take the fall bro.

I don’t want them to headline. They don’t deserve it. Plenty of bands are good live it doesn’t mean they deserve to headline.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

If popularity, sales, streaming metrics, chart positions don’t matter. Why are all of Glastonbury’s headliners typically high charting/selling/streaming artists?

Playing a busy secret set does not equal demand for headlining the fucking pyramid. Put Foals against another heavyweight on the other stage, JP, dance tents, SE corner and you’l have a tiny crowd.

I admire that Foals fans are desperate but the mental gymnastics to make them big enough to headline is absurd. How come Foals are allowed a pass on pretty much every metric possible? Yet we would question whether Catfish & The Bottlemen would headline when they’ve achieved much more than Foals?

At this point I’m totally convinced that it’s a load of dire hard Foals fans desperately wanting it to happen.

thank you king. nothing but respect for a top-tier poster.

Does anyone else reading this feel really not on it anymore? I’m 28 and I remember when Foals came around, I thought they were alright, I last saw them around the time of their third album at Manchester Academy I thought they were alright, that’s it.

When did they become this massive band? Has it totally passed me by?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It's not just die hard Foals fans...I'm not a huge Foals fan (Never seen them live), but I have seen The 1975 and The 1975 are easily bigger and more likely to headline Glastonbury, I feel that is a given...I am just trying to throw points out there as to why Foals can headline and why you can't write them off 100% like some people are. If I could pick the 3 headliners I wouldn't personally pick them 

I'm a big Foals fan so I'll accept I'm maybe overestimating them. But they've headlined Reading (I know it was a co-headline slot, but The Strokes/Pulp also did that and both could headline individually) and arguably grown in popularity since then. They've released a critically acclaimed album (potentially best to date), have another coming up, have gone on a world tour and played a massive secret set (biggest ever Park crowd), plus are pretty big in the media at the moment (especially with the environmental stuff they're pushing in their lyrics). Throw in the homegrown status and big affinity with the festival and you absolutely have a case for them being nudged up into a headline slot. Are they a nailed on Pyramid headliner? No, of course they could also be booked as a bigger than usual sub/Other headliner, but there's enough there to throw their name into the mix. Whether it would be them booked, or them as a back up to a potentially drop out, who knows, but to dismiss them as absolutely not bug enough to headline is ridiculous, and I'll gladly face off with anyone who disagrees in the Two Steps, Twice pit 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

7 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Does anyone else reading this feel really not on it anymore? I’m 28 and I remember when Foals came around, I thought they were alright, I last saw them around the time of their third album at Manchester Academy I thought they were alright, that’s it.

When did they become this massive band? Has it totally passed me by?

They haven't.

P.s I'm loving this

I really don’t sympathise with the arguments that metrics mean nothing to becoming a Glastonbury headliner.

Name me one Glastonbury headliner in the past 20 years that doesn’t have a UK #1 album.

The organisers may not like to admit it but it definitely exists behind the curtain. 

Foals fans feel they should headline because it’s “just” for a band who have toured the festival circuit heavily since 2007. Unfortunately reality isn’t as kind as that.

Edited by Matt42