2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

pretty daft metric really.

Tame Impala are big in Australia and the US, unlike Foals.

Tame Impala have more monthly Spotify plays than Stormzy. look where he was scheduled at this year's festival.

Ah come on now, it's obviously not the only factor, but global popularity (the best metric of which is Spotify listens) is a huge factor.

Tame Impala are globally bigger than Stormzy, but Stormzy is UK based and more relevant to the UK music scence, not to.mention the cultural significance and relevance of having a black UK grime artist headline Glastonbury.

So while Stormzy was behind on things like Spotify listens, there are other factors that push him ahead

The Foals don't have those factors - the Spotify listens don't back it up, the size of the gigs they play don't indicate it, their relevance in current UK pop culture is negligible (in comparison to someone like Stormzy).

The only reason they're floated as a possibility is because this forum adores them, and they have a good relationship to the festival.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

do you wanna google Kasabian's album sales/tour dates/etc to back that one up? cos I don't think they're going to tell you what you want them to.

by every conceivable metric Foals are a less popular band now than when they were booked to sub the festival. by every conceivable metric Kasabian have always been orders of magnitude more popular than Foals. u need to stop following this vague gut instinct that Foals are big enough to headline and look at the facts.

The festival bookers don’t give two fucks about spotify plays or YouTube hits. Could you imagine Emily saying “nooo we can’t book them their last single only got 2 million views on YouTube”. That’s the dumbest post I’ve read on here in a while. They subbed 4 years ago and pulled a massive crowd to the park this year so I’d say there’s a good chance regardless of whatever nonsensical metrics people come up with. If the festival want to book them they’ll get booked and they’d go down well, probably get a bigger crowd than Radiohead.

Edited by Madyaker

2 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

The festival bookers don’t give two fucks about spotify plays or YouTube hits. Could you imagine Emily saying “nooo we can’t book them their last single only got 2 million views on YouTube”. That’s the dumbest post I’ve read on here in a while. They subbed 4 years ago and pulled a massive crowd to the park this year so I’d say there’s a good chance regardless of whatever nonsensical metrics people come up with. If the festival want to book them they’ll get booked and they’d go down well, probably get a bigger crowd than Radiohead.

okay ignore streaming numbers if you like, would you rather look at album sales or tour dates or festival bookings or like EVERY CONCEIVABLE WAY THAT WE HAVE TO ASSESS A BAND'S POPULARITY????

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, MaxPower said:

Ah come on now, it's obviously not the only factor, but global popularity (the best metric of which is Spotify listens) is a huge factor.

Tame Impala are globally bigger than Stormzy, but Stormzy is UK based and more relevant to the UK music scence, not to.mention the cultural significance and relevance of having a black UK grime artist headline Glastonbury.

So while Stormzy was behind on things like Spotify listens, there are other factors that push him ahead

The Foals don't have those factors - the Spotify listens don't back it up, the size of the gigs they play don't indicate it, their relevance in current UK pop culture is negligible (in comparison to someone like Stormzy).

The only reason they're floated as a possibility is because this forum adores them, and they have a good relationship to the festival.

yes, I'm aware Stormzy had other factors going for him, thanks for that blindly obvious point. those are valid reasons for him to headline. Spotify/youtube numbers being used as a metric are basically irrelevant, and as I said, a daft metric.

again, Tame Impala have more Spotify listeners than The 1975, but no-one is seriously suggesting TI are more deserving of a headline slot than The 1975.

Just now, Mash011 said:

okay ignore streaming numbers if you like, would you rather look at album sales or tour dates or festival bookings or like EVERY CONCEIVABLE WAY THAT WE HAVE TO ASSESS A BAND'S POPULARITY????

The festival bookers don’t consider these things when booking acts. 

6 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Presume you voted leave?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

@Mash011 I think they’re more likely to consider if the band in question has played before and if so how were they received? Could they handle a bigger slot? Would they take the same slot?

If the band in question hasn’t played glasto before then the bookers would look at where they have played and how they got on etc and what stage might suit them at glasto. Streaming numbers and album aren’t relevant.