2020 headliners

jj200

7 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

tell me AGAIN how they're just a bit smaller than The 1975. you utter bozos on this forum. I'll show you some fucking energy.

The Killers did Cardiff Castle before their Headline set (Yes Foals is afterwards), but both doing secret sets the year before is there a pattern? I'm not saying they are as big as The 1975 cause they are not, but they are still big and could headline...

Just now, ModBoy said:

The Killers did Cardiff Castle before their Headline set (Yes Foals is afterwards), but both doing secret sets the year before is there a pattern? I'm not saying they are as big as The 1975 cause they are not, but they are still big and could headline...

do you wanna have a look at the rest of the killers' tour dates or nah

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, theesundayroast said:

Reckon they could fairly easily do bigger. I was expecting an O2 date after the two ally pally nights sold out pretty quickly. Olympia looks much much better than the O2 though imo.

the highest capacity of the Olympia (10k) is about half the o2's capacity (20k)

10 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Next gig I have tickets for at the Usher Hall is Sigrid.

I'll be at the Usher Hall in 2 weeks for the Australian Pink Floyd. Immense venue. 

However, I'd be amazed if a Glastonbury headliner could go from a relatively modest Scottish venue (one date only) to Glastonbury headliner in the same season. 

Not big enough to headline the 50th imo. Would he extremely underwhelming booking (and I am a fan). 

20 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

I honestly think if you suggested Foals as a 2020 Glastonbury headliner to anyone outside of this ridiculous website (or their modestly sized fanbase) you'd be laughed out of the room.

In your head this goes “Foals are headlining” - “hahaha leave it out. Have you seen their streaming stats or the venue they’re playing in Edinburgh next year or the first week sales? Come off it”.

Real life people don’t know or care about that.

16 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I usually go on Spotify plays or YouTube hits.

Tame Impala, for example, are way bigger than Foals. Look where they were scheduled at this year's festival.

Portugal the fuckin Man to headline aye?

Edited by eFestivals

Foals seem to have quite a loyal cult fan base, like my mum knows who the Glastonbury headliners are every year (she doesn’t have the biggest taste in music, her favourite artist is Michael Bolton) but if you said to her, have you ever heard of foals? She wouldn’t have a clue. 

They’re just not big enough to do it in my opinion.

13 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

the highest capacity of the Olympia (10k) is about half the o2's capacity (20k)

They did 22k across two nights at ally pally last year which is why I thought there may be an O2 date. I do agree they're not big enough to headline although I wouldn't use this tour as reasoning.

Edited by theesundayroast

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Portugal the fuckin Man to headline aye?

Oh, stop being facetious. My point is that if you look across the board, a band with 5+ songs with, say, well over 100m hits - they're pretty big. If a band has one with a shitload, and the rest around 10m, they aren't so big.

FWIW I saw Portugal the Man a few years ago and they were brilliant - quality psychedelia. Was just wandering past a small tent and they were on - pleasantly surprised! A headliner they ain't, though ;)

Just now, majormajormajor said:

Oh, stop being facetious. My point is that if you look across the board, a band with 5+ songs with, say, well over 100m hits - they're pretty big. If a band has one with a shitload, and the rest around 10m, they aren't so big.

FWIW I saw Portugal the Man a few years ago and they were brilliant - quality psychedelia. Was just wandering past a small tent and they were on - pleasantly surprised! A headliner they ain't, though ;)

I will never ever stop being facetious.

And YouTube and Spotify can misrepresent things seeing as they’re global figures. Foals aren’t a global band, no, but I don’t understand how it’s so much different to someone like Kasabian topping the bill. They attracted a  bumper crowd subbing the Pyramid a few years ago so peeps need to quit playing that they’re unknown.

Thing about Foals is, in terms of being a headliner, it's probably next year or never. Questions over their level of popularity with your average Joe on the street aside there's plenty of factors in their favour;

Good relationship with the festival 

Got the JPT secret slot last year

Dropped their best record yet this year (with part 2 landing in a couple of weeks which you'd imagine will be of a similar quality) 

Homegrown act

(apparently) Willing to play elsewhere on the bill if the festival can book someone bigger. 

Given the amount of uncertainty there seems to be at the moment I think there's a decent chance they'll end up as one of the three come June next year. 

5 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Yeah totally agree with this, don't think there's any chance the Foals are headlining and they're only discussed as potentials becuase this forum has an odd overlap with their fan base.

19 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

I usually go on Spotify plays or YouTube hits.

Tame Impala, for example, are way bigger than Foals. Look where they were scheduled at this year's festival.

pretty daft metric really.

Tame Impala are big in Australia and the US, unlike Foals.

Tame Impala have more monthly Spotify plays than Stormzy. look where he was scheduled at this year's festival.

e: Tame Impala has more monthly listeners than US no.1 album buzz band The 1975. I guess Kevin Parker should be headlining G instead of Matt Healy and co?

Edited by ghostdancer1

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

And YouTube and Spotify can misrepresent things seeing as they’re global figures. Foals aren’t a global band, no, but I don’t understand how it’s so much different to someone like Kasabian topping the bill. They attracted a  bumper crowd subbing the Pyramid a few years ago so peeps need to quit playing that they’re unknown.

do you wanna google Kasabian's album sales/tour dates/etc to back that one up? cos I don't think they're going to tell you what you want them to.

by every conceivable metric Foals are a less popular band now than when they were booked to sub the festival. by every conceivable metric Kasabian have always been orders of magnitude more popular than Foals. u need to stop following this vague gut instinct that Foals are big enough to headline and look at the facts.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I don't even care, they can play wherever they're slotted. I just go and see whoever I fancy seeing. If they're headlining the Pyramid, good for them! I find it bizarre that people bitch and moan about some band playing in a certain slot.

Edited by majormajormajor

6 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

Thing about Foals is, in terms of being a headliner, it's probably next year or never. Questions over their level of popularity with your average Joe on the street aside there's plenty of factors in their favour;

Good relationship with the festival 

Got the JPT secret slot last year

Dropped their best record yet this year (with part 2 landing in a couple of weeks which you'd imagine will be of a similar quality) 

Homegrown act

(apparently) Willing to play elsewhere on the bill if the festival can book someone bigger. 

Given the amount of uncertainty there seems to be at the moment I think there's a decent chance they'll end up as one of the three come June next year. 

Elbow it is then.