2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

Just wondering, what we reason do we have to doubt / rule Elton? 

There has never been anything tying Elton to glasto. He’s been silent on it and the festival has been silent on him. When Emily is asked about acts she wants to book she has never said him.

As much as it would be great to book him and he’s around - there’s a part of me that thinks that Elton may have given a very solid no a long time ago.

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

There has never been anything tying Elton to glasto. He’s been silent on it and the festival has been silent on him. When Emily is asked about acts she wants to book she has never said him.

As much as it would be great to book him and he’s around - there’s a part of me that thinks that Elton may have given a very solid no a long time ago.

Ah! Makes sense. I just can’t see the 50th being without a heritage act - especially with stevie wonder for the 50th. I guess it maybe aligns with Macca and the reports recently of him contemplating it or whatever 

8 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

Nothing to rule him out, but Matt outlines some doubts

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

That maybe because if they dont want to bring him up, at his / his management's request? If GF are in negotiations, its better to just announce him.

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

Based on all of this it feels like Macca and swift sound booked. Perhaps trying for kendrick but if it doesnt come off then 1975 are the back up plan. Ticks the boxes of heritage act, pop/female act and contemporary act.

i have to agree that elton never gets mentioned re glastonbury and it would be odd for it to just start now. Not many others realistic that are in the frame.

announcing diana ross early after seemingly being in negotiations / in the pipeline for years makes me think the same could apply to mccartney. Id be shocked if swifty isnt there given her plans.

Edited by Memory Man

5 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Isn’t he on record as saying he hates festivals and doesn’t want to play them? (I know he’s played a few, but not very many over his entire career).

2 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

Ah! Makes sense. I just can’t see the 50th being without a heritage act - especially with stevie wonder for the 50th. I guess it maybe aligns with Macca and the reports recently of him contemplating it or whatever 

1 minute ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Nothing to rule him out, but Matt outlines some doubts

That maybe because if they dont want to bring him up, at his / his management's request? If GF are in negotiations, its better to just announce him.

This goes back years and years though. Elton has toured around the festival many times before and he’s rarely made the rumours list. He’s never commented on any glasto rumours and neither have glasto. Usually Emily chimes in and rules out faux acts in the press but there has been nothing but silence on him.

Does he hold any seriously problematic political views that might make Glasto not bother with him? Also he isn’t much of a Glastonbury person either.

I think he would be a great booking but things with Elton and Glasto have always been too silent.

55 minutes ago, ChemicalBrother said:

Emily said she wanted a new ‘secret’ bar for 2020, & she suggested building an entrance to it that started in a long drop! 

She also said that her kids pester her every day about whether the 3rd headliner has agreed yet - I may be reading too much into this, but I don’t think children under 10 are that interested unless it’s someone who appeals to children under 10. 

Like someone who did a Disney soundtrack!

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Not quite silent. This from 2015.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/entertainment-arts-35384671/elton-john-i-ve-never-been-asked-to-play-glastonbury

Just now, maelzoid said:

"I haven't been asked, no," he tells Matt Everitt. "I mean, they may have asked - but no-one's ever told me."

oh there’s your answer then. If Glasto ever asked they would have spoken to his team, his team would have seen the fee and declined.

Thanks for sending this because it’s suggesting to me that Elton’s fee won’t allow for it. He’l probably not be there.

26 minutes ago, Jne___ said:

My educated guess is Elton's in the frame for Glasto, but he's also doing BST, and until that's announced and the tickets are all sold, Glasto are embargoed from mentioning him

1 hour ago, Schmicheal said:

Gotta say- I’m really surprised that FM have been ruled out.

I was at the Wembley show and when they made their “we’ll see you in a muddy field next year” it really did sound like a GF confirmation.

Wonder what that was all about ?‍♂️

I think something we're starting to see now, is bands saying things like this in an attempt to force Glastonbury's hand. That if they put the seed into the public's minds, the festival will have to follow through and book them.

See also: Mel B, Spice Girl.

Quite disappointed about FM, only because like others I thought if ever they were to play it’d be next year. Surely they were asked, and since they’re not the headliner she’s working on, they must have outright declined, which might point to a solid booking for 2021, or else they may just never play I guess. The other half saw them in Melbourne last month and paid A$250 to sit right at the back. Hence my disappointment about Glastonbury. 

McCartney’s previous comments about the festival “becoming a remote possibility” alludes to discussions taking place and ME has openly said they want him to play, so I would say all signs point to him right now. Someone of his stature would certainly involve some negotiating. I guess the thing that throws me a bit is his apparent drop out this year. If he was booked but flaked, you’d think decisions about future appearances would be held at that time and wouldn’t stretch all summer. 

Also, protracted negotiations would almost certainly about money. I suspect Macca’s less bothered about that than someone like Elton or Madonna  

So... Elton? With FM out of contention, I reckon he’d be the festival’s biggest possible booking after Taylor Swift (and biggest in terms of legends), and if they manage to get him that would be absolutely huge. 

All this definitely makes me think that it’s the Saturday act they’re still trying to bag. Like someone else said, acts on the level of AM or The 1975 surely wouldn’t need much persuading.

It’s all very exciting, isn’t it?

Edited by kalifire

There's the possibility of course that Taylor has deliberately left a Glastonbury shaped hole in her schedule, because it's been agreed in principle, but that it isn't nailed down yet - negotiations over the summer would fit with her announcement schedule. She's also the most obvious act Emily's kids would be excited about.