2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, Slugworth said:

Rolling Stones are my favourite booking since I've been going. Metallica and Arcade Fire are well up there. Adele was a different vibe that also smashed it. 

2013 does not exist to me ahah. 

I wouldn't even say it was my favourite headline set I've seen but the booking itself got me hyped, it seemed so ludicrous and so perfect at once. I think it helps being on the favoured sides of these polarising choices though, it's why it's so much fun doubling down on arguments on here.

2 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Haha I've asked myself the question of why would people would see a certain headliner over another. Justice over Ed Sheeran is the best example. Out of my group of 15 i was the only one who chose Justice and i remind them often :)

I went to Hacktivist on Shangri-La. They were great

1 minute ago, priest17 said:

2013 does not exist to me ahah. 

I wouldn't even say it was my favourite headline set I've seen but the booking itself got me hyped, it seemed so ludicrous and so perfect at once. I think it helps being on the favoured sides of these polarising choices though, it's why it's so much fun doubling down on arguments on here.

Booking the Stones has to be arguably the biggest. Came out of the blue too iirc. 

6 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Why do critics love this song so much? They’ve done much better. Looking at the three songs below it... my goodness.

Pitchfork seem to spend more time championing what's already massively popular than being actual tastemakers these days.

Edited by Mouseboy11

1 minute ago, a6l6e6x said:

I went to Hacktivist on Shangri-La. They were great

Fair play. I spent 12 hours in the Beat Hotel on the sunday, 2013. One of the best nights I've had. Funny how it turns out when you take the main draws of the festival out of the equation

14 minutes ago, Slugworth said:

Haha I've asked myself the question of why would people would see a certain headliner over another. Justice over Ed Sheeran is the best example. Out of my group of 15 i was the only one who chose Justice and i remind them often :)

We went to see BBK over Ed Sheeran. Not massively our cup of tea, but nothing was taking our fancy so just went to that. One of my most surreal, yet enjoyable, sets I've watched!

6 hours ago, Slugworth said:

Jake Bugg was also back down to John Peel headliner 3 years later. Strange happenings indeed. I guess they can't always call it right as to when artists will blow up. 

Edited by reflekting

1 hour ago, reflekting said:

Jake Bugg was also back down to John Peel headliner 3 years later. Strange happenings indeed. I guess they can't always call it right as to when artists will blow up. 

In fairness no one could have forseen the release of his Kasabian style rap song Gimme The Love, a lead single so bizarrely awful that it single handedly ended his career. 

Edited by Mash011

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

From what I remember I think @eFestivals said some user told him in 2014 Glasto approached FM, Prince and the representatives of Led Zeppelin. Obviously hoping one of them would say yes.

your memory is duff. The Led Zep thing never happened.

Can't remember about the other 2, tho somewhen round then (might not have been that year) i had a 5 minute chat with Emily about her attempts at getting Prince.

9 hours ago, Matt42 said:

We even thought Metallica were headlining the other stage that year. Personally, I think that info was bogus as they were booked for glasto when they were a genuine Sonisphere exclusive. Hence why they couldn’t be announced until after all the tickets were sold.

They might have been pencilled in for the Other precisely because they were that Sonisphere exclusive.

I don't know with absolute certainly they were initially planned for the Other, but I had some high-level info info saying they were, and where other info didn't have them in a Pyramid slot.

8 hours ago, K2SO said:

No, Metallica were replacing Prince if I remember right.

Prince was originally pencilled in for the Sunday, but at some point in the process was pencilled-in moved to the Saturday.

(I can't remember how come Prince wasn't on the Saturday originally, but that might have been because FM were planned for that, I guess [from what Matt posted I'd said back then]).

I had some exceedingly crackingly good Kasabian info for that year, so know they were originally booked as sub to Prince but with a "you might get moved into headline slot" along with that.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

They might have been pencilled in for the Other precisely because they were that Sonisphere exclusive.

I don't know with absolute certainly they were initially planned for the Other, but I had some high-level info info saying they were, and where other info didn't have them in a Pyramid slot.

Wasn't there also something about somebody running in to Michael somewhere pretty early on (end of 2013) and him slipping up and mentioning Metallica headlining? Obviously at the time I don't think many of us took it seriously but I'm pretty sure that was the first mention of Metallica playing the Pyramid. Really don't buy that them topping the Other was ever a thing. It's fucking Metallica! Regardless of who they went up against or how different they are to your usual Glastonbury headliner, they dwarf any act that's ever topped Other.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Wasn't there also something about somebody running in to Michael somewhere pretty early on (end of 2013) and him slipping up and mentioning Metallica headlining? Obviously at the time I don't think many of us took it seriously but I'm pretty sure that was the first mention of Metallica playing the Pyramid. Really don't buy that them topping the Other was ever a thing. It's fucking Metallica! Regardless of who they went up against or how different they are to your usual Glastonbury headliner, they dwarf any act that's ever topped Other.

Even bigger than Deadmau5?

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

i'm pretty sure the first mention of Metallica was in Q Mag, or Time Out, or something - just a couple of lines in the edition that came out around xmas.

I can't remember if it specifically said 'headline' or not.

(now that all of the posts on here are searchable again, it might be possible to find it).

6 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I wasn’t there that year, but I’ve watched the set and it looked and sounded great. There’s a weird vacuum on here when it comes to all things Arctic Monkeys. 

It looked very good on the TV, but it wasn't great in person. They didn't play out to the field. I remember watching it back and being really surprised.

18 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

It looked very good on the TV, but it wasn't great in person. They didn't play out to the field. I remember watching it back and being really surprised.

Yea there was a narrative exclusively for TV watchers about how the Arctics has proper done the Stones that year, showed the old fellas what rock and roll is, etc.

31 minutes ago, Rubber Soldier said:

I wasn’t there that year, but I’ve watched the set and it looked and sounded great. There’s a weird vacuum on here when it comes to all things Arctic Monkeys. 

The notion of Arctic Monkeys being a dour live act stretches way beyond this website.

22 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

What do you mean exactly? Was the sound not great further back? The band’s  live presence didn’t translate in person? Genuinely interested to find out. Haven’t been to equate the efests apathy to the set to what I’ve seen of it.