2020 headliners

jj200

13 minutes ago, The Clearest Blue said:

I agree that if it’s Taylor it makes sense to be a later announcement, but could they announce Fleetwood Mac with the book? We’re celebrating our 50th anniversary with a book and coincidentally we’ve also got one of the biggest bands on the planet who also recently celebrated a 50th anniversary to headline ...

Led Zeppelin just had their 50th anniversary......(I can still dream right?)

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

From what I have heard I hope it isn't Kendrick, it's not my taste of music for a start but I only heard bad things about his Reading performance last year, with loads of people leaving halfway through, and I'd say that the Reading audience is more catered to him than Glastonbury? However I would love to see The 1975, went Reading this year only knowing a little from them but I watched them as there was nothing else on I wanted to see and their show was spectacular, got me hooked and now I listen to them more, however that doesn't mean I like Loose Women Jr as someone referred to him before, I was just able to look past that whilst watching them

I'd actually say that the Reading audience is less suited to him... Granted they're younger and more likely to be fans, but he doesn't put on easy shows that are just playing out the hits.  His activism and artistry is something that would go right over the head of many 15 year old pop fans.

33 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I certainly hope not. It sets a bad precedent.

I simply don't understand why a headliner would not do Glastonbury just because of the fee. Surely the attendant publicity and cache will more than compensate, even financially. If you really want to milk it, you book dates for the following year and announce them the week following Glastonbury. You'd get one of them money-printing licenses.

Mick Fleetwood charges literally hundreds of pounds for meet and greets with photos  etc at his gigs. He’s motivated by greed, pure and simple. 

24 minutes ago, ModBoy said:

From what I have heard I hope it isn't Kendrick, it's not my taste of music for a start but I only heard bad things about his Reading performance last year, with loads of people leaving halfway through, and I'd say that the Reading audience is more catered to him than Glastonbury? However I would love to see The 1975, went Reading this year only knowing a little from them but I watched them as there was nothing else on I wanted to see and their show was spectacular, got me hooked and now I listen to them more, however that doesn't mean I like Loose Women Jr as someone referred to him before, I was just able to look past that whilst watching them

Has anyone gone from headlining R&L to headlining Glasto the year after? If anything the reverse is more likely. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Taylor, and The 1975. I don't really have a guess for the other one.

Which bits of information make you think it's them two? Taylor having a gap? Cannot really think of anything concrete for 75. Which legend which of course there should be one in one of the headline slots do you think it will be - FM or Elton?

2 hours ago, ModBoy said:

I was at this set. The only issue seemed to be overcrowding, he was great, although admittedly not quite at the level as on his own tour (which was absolutely nuts btw)

47 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Really hope you're wrong on this one. 1975 would be incredibly underwhelming, even if they are pretty great live.

51 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Hmm does this suggest an american based headliner if little info coming out or just that they haven't been booked yet? 

Fleetwood Mac has gathered a little bit of momentum recently due to those quotes and the apparent (weird suggestion) that theres something in the book. 

9 minutes ago, C14S said:

Really hope you're wrong on this one. 1975 would be incredibly underwhelming, even if they are pretty great live.

How would they be underwhelming? Imo it would probably be one of the strongest bookings they could make. They are a British band that are probably just reaching their peak popularity after a string of comercially and critically succesful albums. Probably the biggest new band since Arctics, and thats rare in the current age where getting ti that big of a size is tricky (see: Biffy, Foals etc. who have never quite made it all the way to the big leagues).

The only negative I can see is that they played a lot if fests this year (tho admittedly not in the UK, but globally they were very busy). However, that was the last album tour, so I'm not even sure its that big of a deal

Just now, Mattymooz said:

How would they be underwhelming? Imo it would probably be one of the strongest bookings they could make. They are a British band that are probably just reaching their peak popularity after a string of comercially and critically succesful albums. Probably the biggest new band since Arctics, and thats rare in the current age where getting ti that big of a size is tricky (see: Biffy, Foals etc. who have never quite made it all the way to the big leagues).

The only negative I can see is that they played a lot if fests this year (tho admittedly not in the UK, but globally they were very busy). However, that was the last album tour, so I'm not even sure its that big of a deal

50th Anniversary. Just basically holding out for a bigger name, they're still a band on the rise, probably not at their peak yet imo, they tour pretty regularly and aren't all that difficult to get tickets to go see, R&L last year with nothing out since, basically just doesn't really seem like a special booking to me. Seems to safe and too much like something that could happen any other year.

Also slightly influenced by the fact that I find them a bit dull I will admit, but the point remains.

Just now, C14S said:

50th Anniversary. Just basically holding out for a bigger name, they're still a band on the rise, probably not at their peak yet imo, they tour pretty regularly and aren't all that difficult to get tickets to go see, R&L last year with nothing out since, basically just doesn't really seem like a special booking to me. Seems to safe and too much like something that could happen any other year.

Also slightly influenced by the fact that I find them a bit dull I will admit, but the point remains.

Really? Other than booking 1975 last year, I cant think of the last time they had a chance to book a new British Band who are on such a roll as 1975. Last couple times with Kasabian etc. they have limped across the line to glasto headliner. That in itself makes the booking exciting. (And they have a new album due before next summer)

And sure, if they can they'd rather book McCartney or someone, but I doubt the budget is that much different this year and if they already have a big name like Fleetwood Mac they aint gonna be able to keep spending on big names.

I dont particularly care for them either (very unlikely I would watch them if they do get it) but imo it just seems right. Plus, if we do use the argument that the 50th is special then what xould be more Glasto than booking the next big british talent (just look at Stormz this year).

6 minutes ago, Mattymooz said:

Biggest new UK band since Arctics? Mumford and Sons were huge around the world, Kasabian were/are bigger, hell I don’t see how they’ve outdone Biffy at this point either.

They're definitely big enough to headline and will be for a while but let’s not get crazy.

Taylor Swift, The 1975 and another would be a great lineup, no? Taylor being potentially the biggest artist on the planet currently and The 1975 who are selling out world tours and still undoubtedly on the up.

I reckon if they mixed these 2 with 1 big heritage act (Elton please!) then they'll have nailed it. 

The 1975 are totally the band to book for next year. I know they aren't a "new" band, but they're the biggest British breakthrough band in a long while, already headlined other festivals, new record coming out, not headlined Glastonbury before. They tick every box you want. They're even controversial and sure to upset a portion of the public, which is always a bonus.

If they could book the absolute biggest and best of what's available, they'd have The 1975, FM and Taylor all day long.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Biggest new UK band since Arctics? Mumford and Sons were huge around the world, Kasabian were/are bigger, hell I don’t see how they’ve outdone Biffy at this point either.

They're definitely big enough to headline and will be for a while but let’s not get crazy.

I would argue that at this moment in time they are bigger than Kasabian and Biffy. Mumford and Sons possibly not but The 1975 seem to constantly be releasing new music and touring so they're probably more in the forefront of peoples minds than Mumford.