2020 headliners

jj200

8 hours ago, deebeedoobee said:

Just been at an acoustic night at Pilton Working mans club. One of the acts does a cover of stairway to heaven.

i go over to Michael Eavis and say: so will we hear stairway to heaven on the farm in June?

micheal giggles

micheal: did he play stairway to heaven?

me: yes

micheal : really?

me : yes it was his second song ( me thinking, I know he murdered it but even I could recognise the track)

micheal: oh I didn’t recognise it, really? So how are you?

take from that what you will......

Hard to take a lot from that as it seems a safe bet somebody, somewhere will play Stairway to Heaven at Glastonbury next year. Even if it’s some random on a tiny stage or a whammoed loner singing to themselves in a long drop.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Which means we could have one of these names in ink in three weeks! How exciting! 

I agree that they'll probably release one headliner soon, probably before the year is out and given that she hasn't (currently) got any other UK dates to promote I think it will be Taylor, which would be the strongest possible booking for a contemporary artist that's available in 2020.

This would of course be quickly followed by numerous complaints from the Real Music Police but that's just how the world is these days. 

Edit: just read the last few pages, seems like they're already on patrol. 

Edited by Supernintendo Chalmers

I’m not disputing that she’s headliner material, I can’t remember specifically what I wrote in the initial post now but my point is that she’s not Glastonbury headliner material in my opinion

.Remember the reaction when Kylie was meant to headline the Sunday in 2005 before she was sadly ill with cancer? Nobody wanted her to do it, at least nobody that I spoke to. 

She could headline, she’d get a decent response (lukewarm was perhaps a touch harsh,) but my point is it will likely be the exact same show that she repeats in every stadium she plays in. 

I’m not doubting that she’s huge at the moment and capable of headlining any festival if that’s the criteria. What I’m saying is Glastonbury has a habit of creating unique headlining moments, things like McCartney I’m 04 for example. And whilst you can’t expect every single headliner to adhere to that, my own feeling is that for the 50th anniversary there will be an emphasis on acts with a sizeable back catalogue and some personal investment in what it means to play at Glastonbury. I really doubt Taylor Swift would give a shit that it was Glastonbury and she’s see it as just another gig to play her (in my opinion) shite music and within a few years the gig will be lost in peoples memories.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, henry bear said:

It’s all to play for as far as I’m concerned. I reckon we’ll get at least one headliner that we’ve maybe not thought too much about. I haven’t given up on Mac (unlikely maybe, but could do a one-off for a prestigious Glasto 50th headline) or even Macca could be back in the frame after Neil was told his info. I’m not overly confident about Reg as he has never been linked with the festival, and Taylor Swift would appear nailed on other than the fact that both her shows either side of GF are in Scandinavia, with the possibility of Lollapolooza Stockholm in between. NY’s got a new album out with Crazy Horse - maybe they’ll be in Europe next year. We could have a rerun of 2009..

Very good point. Forgot that lollapalooza will be in Stockholm again, it was the same weekend as glasto this year and likely will be again.

If so then she’d probably be booked for saturday of it and it’d be surprising given the Stockholm shaped gap in that leg of her tour if she weren’t. 

It is then less likely she’d pop up at glasto on the Sunday, although not impossible I guess.

also: +1 for Neil Young. In fact +10000000. He should do it for sure.

Taylor has a bigger back catalogue than most headliners this decade. Not only that, but a back catalogue ranging from country, rock and ballads to modern pop classics. 

I also think you're underestimating Taylor if you think it would be another show to her. Taylor is a music buff and she will be fully aware of what Glastonbury is about, not least because a number of her good friends have strong ties with the place. Plus, Gonzo saw her by the long drops!

It kinda sounds like you've heard Shake it Off and ME! on the radio and made your judgement. 

37 minutes ago, JoshM87 said:

I’m not disputing that she’s headliner material, I can’t remember specifically what I wrote in the initial post now but my point is that she’s not Glastonbury headliner material in my opinion

.Remember the reaction when Kylie was meant to headline the Sunday in 2005 before she was sadly ill with cancer? Nobody wanted her to do it, at least nobody that I spoke to. 

She could headline, she’d get a decent response (lukewarm was perhaps a touch harsh,) but my point is it will likely be the exact same show that she repeats in every stadium she plays in. 

I’m not doubting that she’s huge at the moment and capable of headlining any festival if that’s the criteria. What I’m saying is Glastonbury has a habit of creating unique headlining moments, things like McCartney I’m 04 for example. And whilst you can’t expect every single headliner to adhere to that, my own feeling is that for the 50th anniversary there will be an emphasis on acts with a sizeable back catalogue and some personal investment in what it means to play at Glastonbury. I really doubt Taylor Swift would give a shit that it was Glastonbury and she’s see it as just another gig to play her (in my opinion) shite music and within a few years the gig will be lost in peoples memories.

Not sure what you’re really getting at here. Nearly all Glasto headliners play it as part of a European tour, not too many do it as a one-off. Dunno why you assume she wouldn’t give a shit about Glastonbury - she’s been there before (non-playing) and is, of course, good friends with Ed Sheeran, and will no doubt be aware of its significance.

Personally her music does nothing for me and I can’t see the attraction, but there’s no denying she is one of the most popular artists in the world right now and would command a huge crowd.

Taylor has had zero association with the lolla brand her entire career and she isn’t playing any of the other festivals across the globe. 

Lolla have a specific number of acts which are on their roster. The Stockholm edition isn’t going to randomly book the biggest star in the world when she isn’t appearing at any other lolla festivals.

I can entertain the discussion that she might do BST instead or her own Lover festival, but I can’t entertain the idea that she will do the Stockholm version of Lolla. It would be like TRNSMT booking Adele.

Edited by Matt42

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Taylor has had zero association with the lolla brand her entire career and she isn’t playing any of the other festivals across the globe. 

Lolla have a specific number of acts which are on their roster. The Stockholm edition isn’t going to randomly book the biggest star in the world when she isn’t appearing at any other lolla festivals.

I can entertain the discussion that she might do BST instead or her own Lover festival, but I can’t entertain the idea that she will do the Stockholm version of Lolla. It would be like TRNSMT booking Adele.

You could just use the argument that Glastonbury is a more prestigious, bigger career move rather than going on some absolute buuuullshit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoshM87 said:

Remember the reaction when Kylie was meant to headline the Sunday in 2005 before she was sadly ill with cancer? Nobody wanted her to do it, at least nobody that I spoke to.

I do remember it. But my recollection is very different to yours - there was some grumbling from a vocal minority, for sure, but for the most part it was "not for me, but fair enough", or "cool, that'll be a bit different".

23 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

You could just use the argument that Glastonbury is a more prestigious, bigger career move rather than going on some absolute buuuullshit.

Dude come on. It’s way more than what is more prestigious. Taylor Swift making her lolla debut at the Stockholm version and not doing any other lollas across the world is way more of a reach than some are giving it credit for.

I’d say BST’s total silence at the moment is something more concerning than a festival in Stockholm.

1 hour ago, JoshM87 said:

I’m not doubting that she’s huge at the moment and capable of headlining any festival if that’s the criteria. What I’m saying is Glastonbury has a habit of creating unique headlining moments, things like McCartney I’m 04 for example. And whilst you can’t expect every single headliner to adhere to that, own feeling is that for the 50th anniversary there will be an emphasis on acts with a sizeable back catalogue and some personal investment in what it means to play at Glastonbury. I really doubt Taylor Swift would give a shit that it was Glastonbury and she’s see it as just another gig to play her (in my opinion) shite music and within a few years the gig will be lost in peoples memories.

Hope this doesn’t come across as rude but  that’s just a long and wordy way of saying “I don’t like her so I don’t think she should do it”.

1. I remember plenty of people being excited about Kylie. Those who’d think it should only be Guitar bands we’re a bit miffed but post Jay-Z/Beyoncé/Kanye/Stormzy aren’t we passed all that now?

2. “it will likely be the exact same show that she repeats in every stadium she plays in.“ Like it was when The Cure, Foo Fighters, Adele, The Who, Muse, Neil Young etc played.

3. “And whilst you can’t expect every single headliner to adhere to that”

Absolutely right.

4. “my own feeling is that for the 50th anniversary there will be an emphasis on acts with a sizeable back catalogue and some personal investment”

That is just your feeling. Reality is GFL have the same constraints they always have. They will be looking for acts they deem appropriate and big enough and that are willing to do it for the money. If Swift fits that bill, and I’d say she certainly does even though as I say I’m not a fan. Huge name, first festival tour etc. they’ll book her.

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Dude come on. It’s way more than what is more prestigious. Taylor Swift making her lolla debut at the Stockholm version and not doing any other lollas across the world is way more of a reach than some are giving it credit for.

I’d say BST’s total silence at the moment is something more concerning than a festival in Stockholm.

She could be doing BST as well like the Who and the Stones. That’ll bring in more coin to balance out the Big G’s low fee.

14 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

It’s a big pop festival that could book her and fits perfectly with her schedule, both geographically and on the calendar.

You’re right that quite often Live Nation books acts across a number of Lollapalooza festivals a lot of the time but it’s not a ‘Lollapalooza roster’ with a ‘specific number of acts’ at all, and if only Stockholm was suitable for Swift but Berlin, Paris, Chile etc. wasn’t then why wouldn’t they try and book her regardless?

I am sure she’ll play Glastonbury instead but you seem so threatened by the prospect of Taylor being somewhere else that weekend that you’re being overly dismissive of it.