2020 headliners

jj200

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-49876872

Queen and Abba sharing Glastonbury's legend slot would be amazing.

"I guess you're right," he concedes. "Going on tour together wouldn't be a good fit. But at a festival? That'd be a great night."

Translation: BBC journo tries to prize good quote out of pop star in order to excite gullible readers unfamiliar with the festival.

Next question; Would you ever consider going on tour with Elvis Presley?

29 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I wouldn’t rule out Blur just yet. Alex was interviewed on the radio earlier this year and the  conversation went onto Blur and he said they all loved doing it, and because they don’t do it often, it remained special. I don’t see why a one-off to celebrate Glasto’s 50th would necessarily impede on Damon’s activities. And of course they briefly played together earlier this year

I can't see them doing a high profile gig like Glastonbury without ample rehearsal time and warm up shows. They played 8 shows in the build up to Glastonbury in 2009. Surely if Damon knew they'd be doing Glastonbury 2020, he'd just delay his new project until after, or finish it in March to give him time to gear up for Glastonbury.

As someone mentioned above, i don't think they were ever a serious rumour anyway, more a hope from most of us.

1 hour ago, mr flow said:

As someone mentioned above, i don't think they were ever a serious rumour anyway, more a hope from most of us.

Ok, so who is a serious rumour for 2020? Nobody is nailed on, there is everything to play for which makes for an enticing and intriguing few months ahead. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I think the reason why a lot of confidence has been lost with FM is because it’s looking increasingly likely that next year is going to be a year off for the band.

Surely some sort of dates would be announced by now? Especially if it’s in the summer?

probably, but most acts playing big shows next summer won't have announced them yet. FM didn't announce several of their summer 2019 shows until late October 2018.

Another thing could be them doing a festival run next summer, few festivals have announced headliners yet.

42 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Ok, so who is a serious rumour for 2020? Nobody is nailed on, there is everything to play for which makes for an enticing and intriguing few months ahead. 

I think Swift is the safest bet at the mo.

1975 looks the next most likely.

The Mac, Reg and Foals somewhere after that.

5 minutes ago, 1986 said:

When was the last headliner that no one had an inkling of? Was it Kanye?

Looks like we could get something similar for 2020.

The Who that year as well (although tricking us with a Paris gig on the same day was pretty deceiving). It's honestly been a bit boring since then, I miss the hysteria. Neil suggesting Emele Sande and the like.

We never really have much at this point though, Macca and Arctic Monkeys were nailed on for most people this time last year.

I remember there were faint whispers about Kanye but we couldn’t figure out where they were coming from. Then Annie Mac randomly announced him on her radio show.

There was absolutely nothing to suggest with certainty that Kanye was in the running until he was announced.

The Killers sort of came out of nowhere for last year as most thought it was Macca, we heard rumblings of The Cure from Neil and the like quite early on. 

I remember Adele being a bit of a rollercoaster as we all thought she would be too scared to do it (her words) 

Muse and Coldplay are always rumoured even when they aren't touring, as mentioned Chris Martin lives under the Pyramid stage

27 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I remember there were faint whispers about Kanye but we couldn’t figure out where they were coming from. Then Annie Mac randomly announced him on her radio show.

There was absolutely nothing to suggest with certainty that Kanye was in the running until he was announced.

2008 was a bit similar in that there were rumours it was a big hip hop act and lots of people expected Kanye. Jay-Z was a total surprise.

16 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

The Killers sort of came out of nowhere for last year as most thought it was Macca, we heard rumblings of The Cure from Neil and the like quite early on. 

that's because The Killers were booked out of nowhere.  Emily said they had a headliner pull out and had to book a replacement.

It wasn't Stormzy cos he was announced already, and it wasn't The Cure because they'd long been rumoured and ended up playing, so it had to be The Killers.

Edited by eFestivals

20 hours ago, kalifire said:

Blur would be a brilliant Friday opener, imo. I could see them doing that much more easily than taking a headline slot.

Sorry to break it to you but Gorillaz are making yet another new album due to release March 2020. More chance of Gorillaz playing than Blur.

I do remember Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure being mooted for a while before it was announced though?

Adele was a rollercoaster because she was heavily rumoured from the start of 25’s album campaign. However, she did publicly deny many times that she was doing it, so the confusion was inevitable. From what Adele has said apparently she was booked during Kanye’s headline slot in 2015.

I think Adele and the Rolling Stones are the only artists which I can remember publicly denying they were headlining before being announced. 

36 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

2008 was a bit similar in that there were rumours it was a big hip hop act and lots of people expected Kanye. Jay-Z was a total surprise.

Yeah I know what you mean. Kanye in 2015 was a real weird one. All of a sudden predictions about him doing it started to pop up (obviously on no basis at all - pretty sure he wasn’t even on an album cycle). I believe most of the rumours came after his Brits performance. Also some radio presenter said they heard he was doing it. Then all of a sudden Annie Mac announced him on Radio One.

Edited by Matt42

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Yeah I know what you mean. Kanye in 2015 was a real weird one. All of a sudden predictions about him doing it started to pop up (obviously on no basis at all - pretty sure he wasn’t even on an album cycle). I believe most of the rumours came after his Brits performance. Also some radio presenter said they heard he was doing it. Then all of a sudden Annie Mac announced him on Radio One.

The basis for those predictions was because Big Sean had announced UK shows either side of Glastonbury that year, and he was Ye’s protégé at the time. Completely ass-backwards of course, because he never showed up with Kanye, but that’s why Kanye was being thrown around rather than any particular information. Also we had nothing to really go on that year so anyone was still fair game at that point.

Edited by dentalplan

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do remember Stormzy, The Killers, The Cure being mooted for a while before it was announced though?

The Killers were one of the more-obvious guesses because of their secret set in 2017 so their name was always floating around.

It's always possible The Cure info I had was duff and they were actually booked 6(ish) months later as a replacement, but as I first got the info before their string of festivals was known about, and knowing what I know about where it came from (and said twice by that source)  I think its exceedingly unlikely the info was duff.