2020 headliners

jj200

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Different but still good. They would absolutely slay a headline slot if they ever got one.

I've tried to listen to them with AL and just can't get into it. Just don't like the way he sings the songs. For reference points: Big, big Queen fan, really enjoyed seeing them with Paul Rodgers.

2 hours ago, Hugh Jass said:

Different but still good. They would absolutely slay a headline slot if they ever got one.

I've tried to listen to them with AL and just can't get into it. Just don't like the way he sings the songs. For reference points: Big, big Queen fan, really enjoyed seeing them with Paul Rodgers.

20 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I saw Queen with Freddie 3 times. I saw the Freddie Tribute gig and then 3 times with Paul Rodgers and once with Adam Lambert. The Q&PR gigs were good in as much as it was great to see Brian and Roger on stage playing Queen songs again, but they really didn't feel like Queen gigs. The show I saw with AL felt like a much better facsimile of the old Queen concerts. No, it's not the same without Freddie, but it's the best we can hope for. That said, I appreciate AL's not everyone's cup of tea. 

50 minutes ago, henry bear said:

I saw Queen with Freddie 3 times. I saw the Freddie Tribute gig and then 3 times with Paul Rodgers and once with Adam Lambert. The Q&PR gigs were good in as much as it was great to see Brian and Roger on stage playing Queen songs again, but they really didn't feel like Queen gigs. The show I saw with AL felt like a much better facsimile of the old Queen concerts. No, it's not the same without Freddie, but it's the best we can hope for. That said, I appreciate AL's not everyone's cup of tea. 

I'm too young to have seen Freddie, but the AL show was every bit as camp, over the top and generally ridiculous as you would have expected from the band in their prime (May doing extended solos atop a 30 foot robot hand being a highlight). In fairness to AL I think he does a very good job, he says several times during the shows that he isn't trying to be Freddie, the show's more of a celebration of the music they made than anything.

Bohemian Rhapsody, Crazy Little Thing, We Will Rock You, We Are The Champions, Under Pressure, Don't Stop Me Now, Killer Queen, I Want To Break Free, Bicycle, Fat Bottom Girls, Another One Bites The Dust, Radio Gaga, Kind of Magic, One Vision...

There aren't many acts out there, if any, that can pack so many guaranteed crowd pleasers into one set. Not having Freddie doesn't detract from the power of those songs, it would be party central if they played.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, henry bear said:

Felt like a real Queen gig to me, but I've never seen one in the flesh with Freddie. Saw a few on telly though...

4 minutes ago, tullux said:

What about AC/DC?

Remeber, all members beside Phil Rudd are british, would be very special for them to start the new chapter.

?

They always seem a long shot tbh. It will probably keep coming back to the money issue. They would be incredible and, imo, close to the Stones as a massive, legendary headliner. They benefit from not being too overexposed with UK gigs - it would feel like a really special moment. 

25 minutes ago, tullux said:

What about AC/DC?

Remeber, all members beside Phil Rudd are british, would be very special for them to start the new chapter.

?

As much as it would be amazing, zero chance of it happening. Whether they ever play again as a going concern has been the hot topic in DC fan circles since last summer when they were all seen in the Vancouver studio over a period of a few weeks... Heard nothing since.

23 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I’m one of these that think when a frontman dies the band is over

soz

Good job AC/DC took the advice of Bon Scott's dad " you have to carry on lads " 

14 hours ago, tullux said:

What about AC/DC?

?

As Cliff Williams has retired they would need a new bass player for starters .

Plus DC are not one for festivals , not trusting the sound etc , yes Coachella got em to play but i guess a big fat appearance fee swayed it , which they are unlikely to get from Mr Eavis 

From late 2014:

“Rockers AC/DC have said that they would happily headline Glastonbury, if only founder Michael Eavis would ask.

Quizzed by BBC 6 Music presenters Steve Lamacq and Shaun Keaveny yesterday, the Aussie band seemingly quashed rumours that they were a dead cert for 2015’s festival”

Not that I think it’s likely, but at least they are said to be working again

1 hour ago, ivan said:

As Cliff Williams has retired they would need a new bass player for starters .

Plus DC are not one for festivals , not trusting the sound etc , yes Coachella got em to play but i guess a big fat appearance fee swayed it , which they are unlikely to get from Mr Eavis 

Cliff "retired" yes, but was back with the band in Vancouver.

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Lana’s recent shows have been stellar apparently.

If she’s not a pyramid sub next year I’l be really sad. I reckon NFR really is her best album yet! Can’t seem to switch it off.

Agreed. One of my favourite albums ever! Got tickets for Manchester jn Feb and cant wait. Only downside is current set only had a few from NFR on it even since album release!