2020 headliners

jj200

54 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Nah, I'd be ecstatic with Wolf Alice, First Aid Kit, Rihanna, Pale Waves and many more. I just think Taylor is toss. Happy for those who like her bobbins recent output but I'll be elsewhere. Over three quarters of the acts I saw this year were female fronted/solo, so it's not just sexism. A lot of people think Taylor is shite including my missus and closest female buddy.

I'd have been okay with Rihanna 10 years, she's not a patch on her former self now.

18 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If you can be bothered reading it!

Im coming at this as someone who had only heard 1 song on this album before. I know the square root of nowt about Taylor Swift.... but Im open to giving anyone a listen.

Overall - Better than I expected. Some high points, a few low points. A few dull points.

State of Grace - Not what I expected. Sounds a bit like old U2 to me. I mean that in a good way. I like this.

Red - A bit of a country vibe on this. It isnt something I'd rush to listen to, but I quite like it.

Treacherous - nothing particularly memorable, but its alright.

Knew you'd be trouble - I have heard this. I like the chorus. Packs a punch. Catchy. Decent pop song.... Bordering on a banger.

All too well - The high point on the album. I really like this. So far, so good. In fact, I am enjoying it a lot more than expected....

22 - A massive shame. Naff. Annoying & even more so after the previous 2 tunes, which I like.

I almost do - Filler. Country pop ballad. Not my cup of tea.

Not getting back together - Catchy, but a bit more on the annoying side of catchy compared to "Knew you'd be trouble". I dont hate it though. I'd enjoy it seeing this live.

Stay Stay Stay - She has a trait of repeating words on this album... I cant say I like it. Its a bit too twee for me.

The Last Time - Not into this at all. I had got into the album & Im starting to lose it a bit, which is a shame.

Holy Ground - A bit better. A bit too twee again, but I see the appeal. I suspect this is fun live.

Sad Beautiful Tragic - Melancholic. It's different to the rest & I like the fact its there, even though it isnt my cup of tea.

The Lucky One - I like this. The best tune for a while, by a stretch. Im into this one. Much better.

Everything has changed - Sheeran can fuck off. I have a complete aversion to him. Nil points.

Starlight - Decent enough pop song. I dont mind it. Can't say I'd be rushing to hear it again, but I wouldn't turn it off.

Begin Again - Country vibe again. It's alright. Not very memorable, but decent enough.

Overall it was better than I expected initially, but after the strong start, I expected to enjoy it even more 5 songs in.
Has this made me think "I have to see her"? No. But it's made me want to check out a few live videos to see how it translates live.

I hate the track order on red. All Too Well is one of her best ballady songs and its stuck in between 2 of the most radio ready pop songs on the album.

Just now, Mattymooz said:

I hate the track order on red. All Too Well is one of her best ballady songs and its stuck in between 2 of the most radio ready pop songs on the album.

On that listen, to me it was too long. 16 tunes. Would have been better as 11 tunes & bin off 5 of them..... but Im not the target audience.

It was better than I expected. There were a few tunes on it I really liked. Definitely glad I listened to it.

55 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

If you can be bothered reading it!

Im coming at this as someone who had only heard 1 song on this album before. I know the square root of nowt about Taylor Swift.... but Im open to giving anyone a listen.

Overall - Better than I expected. Some high points, a few low points. A few dull points.

State of Grace - Not what I expected. Sounds a bit like old U2 to me. I mean that in a good way. I like this.

Red - A bit of a country vibe on this. It isnt something I'd rush to listen to, but I quite like it.

Treacherous - nothing particularly memorable, but its alright.

Knew you'd be trouble - I have heard this. I like the chorus. Packs a punch. Catchy. Decent pop song.... Bordering on a banger.

All too well - The high point on the album. I really like this. So far, so good. In fact, I am enjoying it a lot more than expected....

22 - A massive shame. Naff. Annoying & even more so after the previous 2 tunes, which I like.

I almost do - Filler. Country pop ballad. Not my cup of tea.

Not getting back together - Catchy, but a bit more on the annoying side of catchy compared to "Knew you'd be trouble". I dont hate it though. I'd enjoy it seeing this live.

Stay Stay Stay - She has a trait of repeating words on this album... I cant say I like it. Its a bit too twee for me.

The Last Time - Not into this at all. I had got into the album & Im starting to lose it a bit, which is a shame.

Holy Ground - A bit better. A bit too twee again, but I see the appeal. I suspect this is fun live.

Sad Beautiful Tragic - Melancholic. It's different to the rest & I like the fact its there, even though it isnt my cup of tea.

The Lucky One - I like this. The best tune for a while, by a stretch. Im into this one. Much better.

Everything has changed - Sheeran can fuck off. I have a complete aversion to him. Nil points.

Starlight - Decent enough pop song. I dont mind it. Can't say I'd be rushing to hear it again, but I wouldn't turn it off.

Begin Again - Country vibe again. It's alright. Not very memorable, but decent enough.

Overall it was better than I expected initially, but after the strong start, I expected to enjoy it even more 5 songs in.
Has this made me think "I have to see her"? No. But it's made me want to check out a few live videos to see how it translates live.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, Superscally said:

The perfect end to my first Glasto. Seeing Skin jump from the top of a 15 foot high speaker stack...like fucking the hardest nutcase in Wonder Woman's school. Ace. Who was of course also there.

Ah very jealous! Was a huge fan back in the day. Finally saw them a few years back in Brixton academy and they did not disappoint. Get em booked.

I think we missed this but Elton just announced a few dates for the American leg of his 2020 tour which is happening in April. 

https://q1043.iheart.com/content/2019-09-17-elton-john-adds-seven-nyc-area-concerts-in-2020/

As it stands there is a big gap between April 18th and October 10th.

Nothing to rule him out of the G yet.

1 hour ago, duke88 said:

Not sure how anyone can question Taylor’s suitably. She’s one of the biggest stars in the world, a fantastic songwriter, and she’s achieved it all herself through hard work. She’s a world away from the Spice Girls or One Direction.

Listen to Red if you’re not sure - an absolutely brilliant pop album.

I personally think Taylor is like a contemporary Bowie figure. She listens to a fair range of artists and soaks up all kinds of influences but her basic music and art is quite simple. Her palette of chords is not particularly huge and you'll find the same ones popping up again and again. What makes her special is the use of language. She can turn on an emotional wave with one simple line. Take "Soon you'll get better" from Lover. That one line " Oooh, soon you'll get better - get better soon. Cos you have to" It's about her Mum's cancer returning but anyone who's ever worried about someone they care for a lot being ill can immediately relate. I can't listen to it without getting emotional. T o me, its songwriting on a par with the very best - Dylan, Springsteen, McCartney, Joni, Van the Man. The best music works by touching you on a deep level and Taylor's best songs do this. Yes, some are quite shallow - Gorgeous being a good example. Wanting to tell the world about your new man's beautiful face - its hardly Forever Young  - but it works nicely as pure pop. My favourites are the seriously romantic ones (Enchanted) and the ones that explore unrequited love - You Belong To Me.  I had to live with that shit for years until I met my wife and yet Taylor captures all those emotions and torments I felt better than any other writer out there. She writes from the heart and lays it ALL out for the listener. Back to the Bowie thing - all those videos, all those elaborate tour sets, lighting rigs, stage props  - they are ALL built on Taylor's visions. If she's headlining everything that you see will be designed and approved by her. She's a true artist.

1 hour ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

On that listen, to me it was too long. 16 tunes. Would have been better as 11 tunes & bin off 5 of them..... but Im not the target audience.

It was better than I expected. There were a few tunes on it I really liked. Definitely glad I listened to it.

Agreed, but I prefer shorter albums on the whole anyway. If you're going over 12 songs you need to have a good reason imo

5 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Right I think there is something to it. Not all pop can be lumped into one category. There are some pop acts which (whilst being outright pop acts) try to bring a credible edge to pop and market themselves to those who may not even be interested in their music.

One Direction and Bieber (probably their management) give no fucks about credibility and are out there to get money. They don’t care about reinvention or artistic direction, they solely want to get money.

Whilst Taylor makes pop, you dig into her albums and there is an effort to make something that matters. There is a narrative and growth between Taylor’s albums, in the same way that some would like a Gaga or Madonna record.

Bieber’s team (and 1D’s) are purely out for chart success. They won’t ever call up Glastonbury because they ain’t bothered. They don’t need to take a pay cut to perform and win over a crowd they don’t care to win over. Bieber hardly cares about performing to his own fans let alone strangers to his music. 

It’s a really hard distinction to identify but it’s the best way I can put it. There are popstars that want to go that bit further, and those that just simply don’t care and want a payslip.

Also re JT - it could have been, but I agree the ship has sailed.  

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

Jesus.

• Downvote 1

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think we missed this but Elton just announced a few dates for the American leg of his 2020 tour which is happening in April. 

https://q1043.iheart.com/content/2019-09-17-elton-john-adds-seven-nyc-area-concerts-in-2020/

As it stands there is a big gap between April 18th and October 10th.

Nothing to rule him out of the G yet.

Elton will be doing some summer shows, he loves a stadium tour.

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thanks. Thats the best tune by a mile on that album. Just looked up her discography and I am shocked it wasnt a single... I presumed it was massive.

Yeah, that's a bit of a theme with Taylor. She has a tendency of putting her worst foot forward with the singles. Some people were pretty down on the prospect of Lover after the four singles, with most thinking Archer was the only good tune, then the album drops and it's absolutely full of belters.

8 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Thanks. Thats the best tune by a mile on that album. Just looked up her discography and I am shocked it wasnt a single... I presumed it was massive.

It's sort of a cult classic now. It gets one of the biggest and best reactions at every live show. When I saw her play it on the Red tour it was sublime. When she played in on the Reputation tour, she talked about how happy she is that the fans love it so much and sing it so loudly every time. She loves playing it.

Edited by jyoung