2020 headliners

jj200

I’d be interested on peoples thoughts on whether One Direction or Justin Bieber are worthy headliners. Whilst I’d be happy with Swizz or Justin Timberlake headlining, I’d find the other two quite unpalatable. Not sure if this is just prejudice against similar acts who’s music I find mostly shite. Would there be much appetite for 1D and Biebs? Even if you don’t like their music??

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

1975 are worse but still a better booking than Foals.

I've been giving Ratboy and the lads a few spins in recent weeks and they're actually alright.  It's not all good but could see them being an enjoyable spectacle. And they don't sound like a pigeon trapped in a dustbin.

3 minutes ago, Badlands said:

I’d be interested on peoples thoughts on whether One Direction or Justin Bieber are worthy headliners. Whilst I’d be happy with Swizz or Justin Timberlake headlining, I’d find the other two quite unpalatable. Not sure if this is just prejudice against similar acts who’s music I find mostly shite. Would there be much appetite for 1D and Biebs? Even if you don’t like their music??

Not to burst any bubbles but never will 1D or the Biebs pick up their phones and find Glastonbury in the other end! Good or bad booking they’ll never book either to headline

Edited by ThomJG

2 minutes ago, Badlands said:

JT's moment's been and gone. Wheels have fallen off. 

Bieber just doesn't feel like a good fit and I don't think he shifts tickets here to anywhere near the same extent. But with the likes of Despacito and Cold Water up his sleeve he could still potentially storm it.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

I've been giving Ratboy and the lads a few spins in recent weeks and they're actually alright.  It's not all good but could see them being an enjoyable spectacle. And they don't sound like a pigeon trapped in a dustbin.

I gave their last album a listen and quickly decided they weren’t for me.

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

1975 are worse but still a better booking than Foals.

In all seriousness I don’t really get this idea of better bookings. For me the better booking is the one I would prefer to watch. The prestige and image of the festival aren’t my concern; Emily is already on top of that! 

Edited by sadimmock

12 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Right I think there is something to it. Not all pop can be lumped into one category. There are some pop acts which (whilst being outright pop acts) try to bring a credible edge to pop and market themselves to those who may not even be interested in their music.

One Direction and Bieber (probably their management) give no fucks about credibility and are out there to get money. They don’t care about reinvention or artistic direction, they solely want to get money.

Whilst Taylor makes pop, you dig into her albums and there is an effort to make something that matters. There is a narrative and growth between Taylor’s albums, in the same way that some would like a Gaga or Madonna record.

Bieber’s team (and 1D’s) are purely out for chart success. They won’t ever call up Glastonbury because they ain’t bothered. They don’t need to take a pay cut to perform and win over a crowd they don’t care to win over. Bieber hardly cares about performing to his own fans let alone strangers to his music. 

It’s a really hard distinction to identify but it’s the best way I can put it. There are popstars that want to go that bit further, and those that just simply don’t care and want a payslip.

Also re JT - it could have been, but I agree the ship has sailed.  

• Upvote 2

@Matt42 where do you stand on Spice Girls headlining? I've agreed with most your points in this thread, but surely they end up with Bieber and 1D? 

The whole credibility thing is a fucking minefield at this point as theres no way of creating any sort of system of ruling for it. Is there a line?

To me as well there seems to be an almost smugness coming from some pop advocates on here. The likes of Beyonce, Adelle and Ed have been around successes so it's only right it continues. Doesn't mean we have to completely leave behind a bunch of dudes playing guitars. I can see the frustration with some posters here in some respect with that.

Basically what I'm saying is I cant wait for Nick Cave to headline.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Right I think there is something to it. Not all pop can be lumped into one category. There are some pop acts which (whilst being outright pop acts) try to bring a credible edge to pop and market themselves to those who may not even be interested in their music.

One Direction and Bieber (probably their management) give no fucks about credibility and are out there to get money. They don’t care about reinvention or artistic direction, they solely want to get money.

Whilst Taylor makes pop, you dig into her albums and there is an effort to make something that matters. There is a narrative and growth between Taylor’s albums, in the same way that some would like a Gaga or Madonna record.

Bieber’s team (and 1D’s) are purely out for chart success. They won’t ever call up Glastonbury because they ain’t bothered. They don’t need to take a pay cut to perform and win over a crowd they don’t care to win over. Bieber hardly cares about performing to his own fans let alone strangers to his music. 

It’s a really hard distinction to identify but it’s the best way I can put it. There are popstars that want to go that bit further, and those that just simply don’t care and want a payslip.

Also re JT - it could have been, but I agree the ship has sailed.  

Thank you for putting this argument in such an articulate way. I've been ranting about this to people for years when they question my taste in a some pop, but not other pop. I usually settle on, "there is shit pop, then there is good pop".

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

Thank you for putting this argument in such an articulate way. I've been ranting about this to people for years when they question my taste in a some pop, but not other pop. I usually settle on, "there is shit pop, then there is good pop".

Just like any type of music then.

Except for bossa nova. That's all great