2020 headliners

jj200

31 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Beilish on before Swizzle on the Sunday, with Pet Shop Boys etc on beforehand

Babe don't threaten me with a good time

I can't think of anything worse lol, I'm up for Taylor but not with them two before hand. I can't of got into Bad Guy from her then The Interrupters did it and although it's more my scene but their cover made Billie's a bit lacklustre.

PSB or for me at all but then nor is Nick Cave. As long as they don't put Elbow on before her, that would just be a missed opportunity.

Just now, The Martini Police said:

That's fair enough. But the general point was that a big male pop artist would generate a similar reaction to Taylor Swift (he's just the best example I could thing of) and that a negative reaction to her possibly headlining is down to dislike or a genre or snobbery, not sexism. 

Gotcha, sorry If I missed the point, I just wanted to give me 2 sense on Justin, personally I think he would get the same or probably worse reaction if he was booked. I firmly believe act's should be booked based off individual talent not to tick a box saying we have a 50/50 female/male split. happy to hear differing opinions on this though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I deliberately didn’t. But I will now because you have.

If a male fronted band on their debut got this reaction at Reading they’d instantly be headliners or nothing. But with Billie you hear...

”her fanbase will forget about her”, ”she could still sub” or “I just don’t think she’s popular enough”.

B2F5B27A-F3AE-4702-8ED4-790E7A3B1797.jpeg

is that a trump inauguration photo ? :) 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I mean in the current state of politics gammons feel compelled and supported in their views and no longer afraid to express them.

I am quite concerned that Taylor might receive a real negative reaction. On the night she will smash it but I’d rather just not see it. (Edit - id rather not see the negative press at all I mean)

After Jay Z, Beyoncé, Metallica, Kanye West, Adele, Ed Sheeran, Stormzy - the yearly slamming of headliner choices through social media and the press has become exhausting. I do worry sometimes that it gives off a wrong impression of what the Glastonbury audience is really like. Hell... if we are really gonna go there, it’s meant to be a key reason why Prince never played!

The true Glastonbury audience is here for exciting and different bookings. However, the moaners always come across the loudest.

In the 20s can we all make a pledge to stop shouting down viable headline choices? Especially female headliners.

The last 2 headliner rumours I've posted on The Thingy Twitter a count were Swift and Macca, the latter got a much more negative response.

1 hour ago, Harry_W01 said:

What is it about Taylor Swift that people don't like? I want to ask a genuine question here, because personally to me her music is very upbeat which I like. would like to hear other people's thoughts. 

People like different types of music, if it does nothing for you, what are you to do? Upbeat doesn't make it good.

1 hour ago, clarkete said:

Taking a leaf out of that popular poster jntsrb's book, nobody can deny TS is big enough...

https://www.billboard.com/charts/artist-100

https://www.forbes.com/profile/taylor-swift/

I miss jntsrb. Did they ever comment on the actual performance after it happened?

5 minutes ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

I'm a bit underwhelmed by Tay Sway tbh. I've tried to get into her, I like other pop singers in a similar mould - I saw Katy Perry and I would have seen Beyonce if she hadn't been up against Kool and the Gang - but I really struggle, I'm not sure what it is, I find her songs a bit "meh". If this was Lady Gaga or Rhianna, I'd be all over it like white on bread, what am I missing?! 

What are her "fun" songs? I love screaming out Fireworks on a morning cycle commute - and I'm a 34 year (white - as skin colour seems to matter to some people) old man - help me someone, please for the love of God, let me be overjoyed by his opporunity!

Think of her less like Katy Perry or Beyonce and more like Springsteen when he's doing pop songs like Hungry Heart or Dancing In The Dark.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I regret bringing this up but the speed some users took to belittle the issue speaks volumes.

Booking diversity comes from the bottom up. If we don’t call out those who shit on bookings for improper reasons then nothing changes. Every year people complain about lack of diversity in lineups yet fail to see the trickle down effect. We all have a part to play in making it better.

You remind me of a mumsnet poster.

The diversity at glasto is pretty good in general. That argument can only really be used regarding the pyramid headline spots and it’s v multifactorial. It’s an industry problem more than a glasto one but the music industry has more problems than that.

If you argue that Glastonbury should lead the way and promote women to change the industry, I say it should first lead the way and promote different genres than whatever the top40 says. Marika Hackman is 10x the artist that Taylor Swift is, is a british lesbian female, and sadly will probably never get close to headlining because the music industry promotes uninteresting shite filled with repetitive hooks that will get the kids to stream ‘shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake.... shake shake shake’.

I don’t feel bad for my sake, I often get to see my favourite acts in more intimate settings and for less money, but it’s a shame that they have to work so hard for some crumbs off the table of lesser artists.

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, henry bear said:

You don’t want to see her headlining because ‘she is a girl’?

That and the fact that she is completely and utterly shite. 

I was being silly. I can't imagine gender ever entering my head when assessing the merits of a headliner at a music festival. 

Edited by gherkin8r

7 hours ago, maelzoid said:

How many times do we have to go through this? Elton is a headliner through and through.

It's weird that nobody ever mentions the Mac as legends, but in a way their cache is not too dissimilar to ELO's. Band with a lot of history who've not made any new music of note since the 80s, now on the stadium circuit. In terms of public appeal they've got nothing on Elton at the moment.

Yet the Spice Girls have been selling out Wembley and they’d be..... oh right not headlining.  Take into account Elton was playing such places as Maidstone recently.  

Opinions hey

24 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I say it should first lead the way and promote different genres than whatever the top40 says

It literally does

24 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Marika Hackman is 10x the artist that Taylor Swift is, is a british lesbian female, and sadly will probably never get close to headlining because the music industry promotes uninteresting shite filled with repetitive hooks that will get the kids to stream ‘shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake.... shake shake shake’.

The reason Marika Hackman isn't going to headline isn't because "the kids listen to Taylor Swift"

Edited by jyoung

31 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

You remind me of a mumsnet poster.

The diversity at glasto is pretty good in general. That argument can only really be used regarding the pyramid headline spots and it’s v multifactorial. It’s an industry problem more than a glasto one but the music industry has more problems than that.

If you argue that Glastonbury should lead the way and promote women to change the industry, I say it should first lead the way and promote different genres than whatever the top40 says. Marika Hackman is 10x the artist that Taylor Swift is, is a british lesbian female, and sadly will probably never get close to headlining because the music industry promotes uninteresting shite filled with repetitive hooks that will get the kids to stream ‘shake shake shake shake shake shake shake shake.... shake shake shake’.

I don’t feel bad for my sake, I often get to see my favourite acts in more intimate settings and for less money, but it’s a shame that they have to work so hard for some crumbs off the table of lesser artists.

Marika Hackman is fantastic but pitting her against Taylor is a bad example. Whether you like pop music or not is irrelevant, Taylor is one of the greatest and most successful pop song writers of the decade. She’s cranked out a ridiculous number of hits and she is only 29 for Christ sake. The fact you’re, I guess, referencing Shake it Off suggests to me you haven’t listened much to Taylor Swift outside of the biggest one or two hits. Give Red a listen from start to finish and come back.

Edited by jparx

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

Marika Hackman is fantastic but pitting her against Taylor is a bad example. Whether you like pop music or not is irrelevant, Taylor is one of the greatest and most successful pop song writers of the decade. She’s cranked out a ridiculous number of hits and she is only 29 for Christ sake. The fact you’re, I guess, referencing Shake it Off suggests to me you haven’t listened much to Taylor Swift outside of the biggest one or two hits. Give Red a listen from start to finish and come back.

Lol brilliant trolling on show here 

19 minutes ago, jparx said:

I only knowingly know 2 Swift tunes. 1 is shake it off. Im going to listen to Red. See what the fuss is about.