2020 headliners

jj200

10 hours ago, maelzoid said:

I haven't seen the Mac before so would want to, but there is the question of them being any good still

Not according to nearly all reviews of their most recent tour, there isn’t. FM would absolutely storm it and it would be brilliant. 

I’d pick Elton over them if I absolutely had to, but if they’re both on the bill, plus Taylor, I could forgive The 1975 polluting the lineup. 

10 hours ago, ghostdancer1 said:

apropos of nothing, remember how good The Killers were?

For me that Charming Man cover was a silly decision, just include in his own set like he had been already rather than let Brandon sing it instead of one his their own songs. I didn't see the point at all with that as it made Johnnys set bar Bigmouth Strikes Again virtually the same as a few years ago.

8 hours ago, kalifire said:

Not according to nearly all reviews of their most recent tour, there isn’t. FM would absolutely storm it and it would be brilliant. 

I’d pick Elton over them if I absolutely had to, but if they’re both on the bill, plus Taylor, I could forgive The 1975 polluting the lineup. 

I don't think there would be much if they both played to keep me away, The Prodigy as the full group on Other would entice but still don't think it would win.

On 9/1/2019 at 6:20 PM, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Love to see white middle aged dads logging on to point out that Taylor Swift has no big songs or iconic looks.

As a white middle aged man, I'd like to point out that is a stereotype I find entirely accurate.

I didn't know any of those songs from a few days ago apart from We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together Shake it Off.  The others weren't for me. Apparently she is very popular, I really wouldn't know. What with Spotify and other recommendation algorithms, it really is quite easy to let the mainstream pass me by. I don't even have to watch broadcast telly much these days.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, priest17 said:

Bin some top banter on here last last few pages. Did someone call Green Day post-punk?

They formed after 1977

Ce_N5ly6a0ec5iOaEIzv7w_store_banner_imag

29 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

As a white middle aged man, I'd like to point out that is a stereotype I find entirely accurate.

I didn't know any of those songs from a few days ago apart from We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together Shake it Off.  The others weren't for me. Apparently she is very popular, I really wouldn't know. What with Spotify and other recommendation algorithms, it really is quite easy to let the mainstream pass me by. I don't even have to watch broadcast telly much these days.

Difference between "she has no songs" and "I haven't heard them" tho, not everyone in your demographic seems to have sufficient hats to see that.

33 minutes ago, Cream Soda said:

What about the iconic looks though, are you familiar with those?  Must admit, she's not an act that screams "fancy dress" to me as has been suggested

I've no idea. I know what she looks like, I suppose? I might rexoo one of her looks if someone dressed up as her, but doubtful. I'm 41 though, at this point my familiarity with potential headliners is very much moot, even if the Glastonbury audience is aging.

Arguing about the legend slot is more my bag these days ;)

1 hour ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

They formed after 1977

Ce_N5ly6a0ec5iOaEIzv7w_store_banner_imag

Difference between "she has no songs" and "I haven't heard them" tho, not everyone in your demographic seems to have sufficient hats to see that.

Indeed. I can say that I really don't like most of the songs I have heard by her,  I suppose a slighty more relevant point than simple familiarity; but y'know, my favourite pop music is ABBA, which was *checks notes* all made before I started school, much of it before I was born. So... contemporary tastes over here.

23 hours ago, dentalplan said:

I think Taylor said she was doing something different and more intimate with the next tour because the Reputation stadium tour flopped

Nope www.billboard.com/amp/articles/columns/chart-beat/8487606/taylor-swift-reputation-stadium-tour-breaks-record-highest-grossing-us-tour

And no again www.rollingstone.com/music/music-live-reviews/why-taylor-swifts-reputation-tour-is-her-finest-yet-628294/

Edited by jyoung

9 minutes ago, jyoung said:

There's no way they'd book Taylor Swift if Jason Derulo is available. Whether he finally releases his next album or not is a different question.

11 minutes ago, jyoung said:

I'm sure you can find the articles that I'd seen about slow sales too if you scroll a bit further on Google. If she turned it around in the end then bully for her, but - with a career of shrewd financial moves behind her - I don't think she voluntarily steps down to arenas because she decides they're more suitable for this album.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

I'm sure you can find the articles that I'd seen about slow sales too if you scroll a bit further on Google. If she turned it around in the end then bully for her, but - with a career of shrewd financial moves behind her - I don't think she voluntarily steps down to arenas because she decides they're more suitable for this album.

Over 2,888,892 fans went to see her. Is that a flop?

Edited by jyoung

2 minutes ago, jyoung said:

Over 2,888,892 fans went to see her. Is that a flop?

She averaged 54.5k fans per show on that tour as well. In terms of money made per show it’s one of the highest grossing of all time.

IF Taylor is moving to arenas, which is by no means confirmed and just taken from a vague remark in an interview, it’s not because she can’t fill stadiums. More “Intimate” shows may end up referring to the stage design and having less over the top production for all we know.