2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wait, what’s this about an announcement?

An REM reformation would have BST written all over it IMO.

R.E.M. tweeted to stay tuned for a special announcement yesterday for today with the #Monster50 which seemed like a remastered version of Monster which they have done, it is available to download now but that does mean it may not be the actual announcement and they could be doing some gigs.

@Quark beat me to that. Suppose we wait and see. 

17 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

R.E.M. tweeted to stay tuned for a special announcement yesterday for today with the #Monster50 which seemed like a remastered version of Monster which they have done, it is available to download now but that does mean it may not be the actual announcement and they could be doing some gigs.

@Quark beat me to that. Suppose we wait and see. 

Doesn’t look like a reformation to me. Probably some super mega deluxe vinyl reissue or some such.

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Doesn’t look like a reformation to me. Probably some super mega deluxe vinyl reissue or some such.

That's also my thinking.  I've given up all hope of them ever reforming beyond maybe some kind of one off surprise thing in a tiny bar in Athens or summat.  And if they were going to reform and perform an anniversary tour or similar I wouldn't expect it for Monster.  30th anniversary of Out of Time or something like that.

But then being the wonderfully contrary bastards they are I could see them doing an anniversary tour for something Like New Adventures or Fables :D

1 minute ago, Quark said:

That's also my thinking.  I've given up all hope of them ever reforming beyond maybe some kind of one off surprise thing in a tiny bar in Athens or summat.  And if they were going to reform and perform an anniversary tour or similar I wouldn't expect it for Monster.  30th anniversary of Out of Time or something like that.

But then being the wonderfully contrary bastards they are I could see them doing an anniversary tour for something Like New Adventures or Fables :D

Ten years of Collapse Into Now...

(Which I maintain was good!)

32 minutes ago, Quark said:

Possibility of them playing Glastonbury notwithstanding, this is one of the only big act tours I would be prepared to throw money at to attend.

Me too, I had tickets to see them in Hyde Park in 2005 when a few days before the 7/7 bombings happened and the gig was postponed by a week and flights etc already booked and couldn;t make the following week so didn;t go :-( . Never had the chance to see them again - so they are a definate undone for me

Just now, Funkyfairy! said:

Me too, I had tickets to see them in Hyde Park in 2005 when a few days before the 7/7 bombings happened and the gig was postponed by a week and flights etc already booked and couldn;t make the following week so didn;t go ? . Never had the chance to see them again - so they are a definate undone for me

That's the only time I did get to see them, although I must confess I don't remember it being rearranged.

1 minute ago, Matt87 said:

I really like Monster as an LP, but I'm pretty sure it's one of the most disliked by REM fans? 

I've got a massive soft spot for it as I had it on cassette and listened to it a lot, but equally I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

Bit of an odd cookie that one

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

I've got a massive soft spot for it as I had it on cassette and listened to it a lot, but equally I can't remember the last time I listened to it.

Bit of an odd cookie that one

I only got it in the 00s, but I can imagine it didn't necessarily sit well with those who'd loved Automatic for the People and Out of Time. Quite a bit more distortion on Pete's guitar for starters.