2020 headliners

jj200

39 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Yeah massive shame they bottled it. Caught them in Werchter and they were superb, however friends who caught them at the autumn arena  tour said they backtracked massively on the newer material and style and rattled through the tracks so they could play their bangez for the lads.

I'd agree with this, saw them twice last year - at the RAH just as TB was released and again at the O2 later in the year. By the time the O2 gig rolled around there was definitely less prominence given to the new material. They still played it all, but they and the crowd, seemed much more into the older stuff.

50 minutes ago, Luke Routledge said:

Is there a massive difference between Kasabian and Biffy Clyro these days? It would be a push but would make for an extremely strong sub. 

One might argue that Biffy are the bigger band who should have been bumped up to Pyramid headliners around 2013/14 when they were touring Opposites but the time for that has passed which is a shame cos they'd absolutely smash the slot imo

8 minutes ago, rawrsomesauce said:

One might argue that Biffy are the bigger band who should have been bumped up to Pyramid headliners around 2013/14 when they were touring Opposites but the time for that has passed which is a shame cos they'd absolutely smash the slot imo

Nah. I feel Biffy are big in their own circles but struggle when it comes to the GP. Kasabian have had way more crossover success and were given the shot at headlining festivals much earlier in their career. I think the problem with Kasabian is after Glastonbury there was nowhere else for the band to go so an inevitable decline has followed. Ship has sailed for them to do stadiums and they aren’t exactly going to have a second wind resurgence.

Biffy have been clever and realised that fetch just isn’t going to happen. Hence their sub spot in 2017.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Nah. I feel Biffy are big in their own circles but struggle when it comes to the GP. Kasabian have had way more crossover success and were given the shot at headlining festivals much earlier in their career. I think the problem with Kasabian is after Glastonbury there was nowhere else for the band to go so an inevitable decline has followed. Ship has sailed for them to do stadiums and they aren’t exactly going to have a second wind resurgence.

Biffy have been clever and realised that fetch just isn’t going to happen. Hence their sub spot in 2017.

Worth noting as well that they subbed Ed Sheeran who is probably the biggest artist in the world. Not to be sniffed at in terms of prestige even if it wasn't the big one.

I think they could do it one day on a slower year.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Oh yeah, fully aware Biffy aren't gonna do it now! Just would have been a killer set if they were able to do it the year after they headlined Reading for the first time - can imagine Biblical, Machines, The Captain etc would have been killer singalongs in the darkness on the Pyramid. I think with Kasabian, when they headlined in 2014 it was very much their last gasp to do it imo, as in if they didn't headline then they wouldn't have ever done it. 

On the plus side, can see Biffy headlining the Other at some point against a poppy headliner. 

6 hours ago, rawrsomesauce said:

Oh yeah, fully aware Biffy aren't gonna do it now! Just would have been a killer set if they were able to do it the year after they headlined Reading for the first time - can imagine Biblical, Machines, The Captain etc would have been killer singalongs in the darkness on the Pyramid. I think with Kasabian, when they headlined in 2014 it was very much their last gasp to do it imo, as in if they didn't headline then they wouldn't have ever done it. 

On the plus side, can see Biffy headlining the Other at some point against a poppy headliner. 

I think Biffy will return to sub again, if they do Other they kind of accept it...it's a bit like they know their place then and they have the mainstream appeal to stay on the Pyramid. Personally sub wise was better than headliner wise this year for Glasto, interestingly too, sub wise overall was bigger ticket selling wise too.

7 hours ago, Matt42 said:

I think the problem with Kasabian is after Glastonbury there was nowhere else for the band to go so an inevitable decline has followed. Ship has sailed for them to do stadiums and they aren’t exactly going to have a second wind resurgence.

They went on to headline R+L and IOW again and sold out TRNSMT on the one album they've done since. Why does not carrying through to Wembley Stadium headline mean they've bottomed out?

The last Kasabian album - you know, the flop one - had better first week sales than any 1975 album has. And I expect that it has sold better to date than this last 1975 album too. They're that big a band that it really doesn't matter.

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They went on to headline R+L and IOW again and sold out TRNSMT on the one album they've done since. Why does not carrying through to Wembley Stadium headline mean they've bottomed out?

The last Kasabian album - you know, the flop one - had better first week sales than any 1975 album has. And I expect that it has sold better to date than this last 1975 album too. They're that big a band that it really doesn't matter.

So it did. 

I’m not disagreeing with you at all that they could come back and headline again. I do think that they haven’t grown since Glasto, and I still think it’s the peak of their career.

Edited by Matt42

22 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

So it did. 

I’m not disagreeing with you at all that they could come back and headline again. I do think that they haven’t grown since Glasto, and I still think it’s the peak of their career.

Apologies Matt, I think I was reading the conversation wrongly. You're right that they haven't grown and I guess they haven't really stayed the exact same size either so maybe I shouldn't be coming down on anyone who suggests they're 'in decline'... but yeah it remains they are a big, headline-sized band and a damn sight bigger than Biffy bloody Clyro.

Honestly I really haven't gained a newfound love for Tom Meighan's Midlands mob; it's just useful to try and combat any early suggestions of clear headliners subbing or headlining Other Stage. We always have one or two a year but this year's gonna have about two-dozen.

49 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Apologies Matt, I think I was reading the conversation wrongly. You're right that they haven't grown and I guess they haven't really stayed the exact same size either so maybe I shouldn't be coming down on anyone who suggests they're 'in decline'... but yeah it remains they are a big, headline-sized band and a damn sight bigger than Biffy bloody Clyro.

Honestly I really haven't gained a newfound love for Tom Meighan's Midlands mob; it's just useful to try and combat any early suggestions of clear headliners subbing or headlining Other Stage. We always have one or two a year but this year's gonna have about two-dozen.

Don’t worry I agree. You’re right.

I’d rather Kasabian were still considered headliners as it’s more likely they won’t appear again :P plus I need to work some magic and get Tool to headline the other stage

Edited by Matt42

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They're in rapid decline when it comes to quality...

I don't think that's possible, but I'd still say the last album was much improved on the couple before it.

A twitch on a flatline is not a sign of life. ? 

Edit: I'm no Kasabian hater either. First three albums all decent then a steep drop off the plateau i.m.o

Edited by Superscally

I don't think that's possible, but I'd still say the last album was much improved on the couple before it.

That one they headlined GF on - the one about being watched by Google - was astoundingly bad. Quite liked Comeback Kid off the last one but can’t remember anything else from it.

On 6/17/2019 at 3:59 PM, Hugh Jass said:

“Hey Elton, I know it’s the final year of your farewell tour and your stock is the highest it has been in years, but would you mind playing fourth down on the Sunday so that Arctic Monkeys can headline please?”

Elton is famously shy once he gets on stage. He's sure to want to play 3rd down to avoid the crowds.

1 hour ago, danbailey80 said:

Can we all please just agree that there is no chance Macca or Elton are playing the fucking afternoon slot. Seriously get a grip.

Finally, someone with sense! 

It's obvious that one of them is opening the Other Stage on Friday.