2020 headliners

jj200

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think at the most they might phone up someone who might not otherwise be touring but that will be it.

Glastonbury don't even reach out to the properly big artists, do they? It's like, if they're interested then they contact the festival - I'm sure it's not always the case but I think that's what Neil has said in the past.

I am a little worried about these rocketing expectations for next year though. Maybe not so much on here but Glastonbury could serve up a perfectly reasonable set of headliners and it'll get absolutely savaged on social media because of how entitled some will feel about the anniversary and what to expect. It seems like one of the bits of that Emily dreads facing year-on-year, and she hasn't really hyped 2020 up except saying that they are booking acts for it already, and we are building it up in our own minds because of that. Some people might need to take a step back and be a bit more fair-minded about the whole thing.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Glastonbury don't even reach out to the properly big artists, do they? It's like, if they're interested then they contact the festival - I'm sure it's not always the case but I think that's what Neil has said in the past.

I am a little worried about these rocketing expectations for next year though. Maybe not so much on here but Glastonbury could serve up a perfectly reasonable set of headliners and it'll get absolutely savaged on social media because of how entitled some will feel about the anniversary and what to expect. It seems like one of the bits of that Emily dreads facing year-on-year, and she hasn't really hyped 2020 up except saying that they are booking acts for it already, and we are building it up in our own minds because of that. Some people might need to take a step back and be a bit more fair-minded about the whole thing.

I think the acts suggested in this thread have been pretty reasonable by and large. You are right though, they’ll be some out there expecting a trio of Oasis, Zeppelin and the ghost of Hendrix.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I didn’t actually have a big artist in mind when I thought that. I was thinking someone old timer (not necessarily a headliner) being phoned up for an odd set.

Not Morissey but acts like that.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

So next year is gonna be the biggest set of Glastonbury headliners of all time? Just because of the anniversary? Just because it’ll be 2020 and the festival started in 1970, all of the appropriate acts who can make this the biggest set of headliners in the festival’s history will be willing to play - this is what you’re saying?

The headliners for the 50th anniversary will be stronger than any year since the 40th if not stronger than what would have been had U2 been there.

Not an odd assumption to make surely?

It's a milestone. Kasabian don't fit the bill. 

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The headliners for the 50th anniversary will be stronger than any year since the 40th if not stronger than what would have been had U2 been there.

I think dental’s point mate is they can only book who they can. If Fleetwood, Elton whatever tell them no, there’s not much glasto can do about it.

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think dental’s point mate is they can only book who they can. If Fleetwood, Elton whatever tell them no, there’s not much glasto can do about it.

I agree however what I'm trying to say is if ever there was a year to get some acts who are that bit more special than the normal crop then next year is the one.

55 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They'll go for the best they can get every year.

Exactly, 2020 will be like any other year. Some years are stronger than others but that’s not because of who glasto has tried to book, some years like 2017 or 2016 there are a lot of major bands/acts touring.

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Can never tell if you've got tongue in cheek or not, but....

There are some exceptions to this, right?  Springsteen got the personalised type approach to convince him to do it, no?

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

This is exactly why we can't have nice things. Pretty sure it's not what Berners Lee had in mind.

15 hours ago, JoeyT said:

the headliners will be whoever is available to book, same as always.

There may or may not be headliners who want to do it specifically because it's the 50th. 

Wasn’t it suggested Arctics disappeared fairly quickly after the album to record another after the divisive reaction to TBHC? It was unusual there was no large outdoor gig in the U.K. after all the rumours.

For what it’s worth the Tranquility tour was the best I’ve seen them by a long way.

Edited by Mouseboy11

3 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Wasn’t it suggested Arctics disappeared fairly quickly after the album to record another after the divisive reaction to TBHC? It was unusual there was no large outdoor gig in the U.K. after all the rumours.

For what it’s worth the Tranquility tour was the best I’ve seen them by a long way.

Yeah massive shame they bottled it. Caught them in Werchter and they were superb, however friends who caught them at the autumn arena  tour said they backtracked massively on the newer material and style and rattled through the tracks so they could play their bangez for the lads.

8 minutes ago, Mouseboy11 said:

Whether this is factually correct or not, I think this is true. The album cycle is without a doubt over and hasn’t lasted anywhere near as long as their previous records.

It seems like they released this record, did a few shows and went back into hiding.

6 minutes ago, zero000 said:

Yeah massive shame they bottled it. Caught them in Werchter and they were superb, however friends who caught them at the autumn arena  tour said they backtracked massively on the newer material and style and rattled through the tracks so they could play their bangez for the lads.

When you say backtracked, do you mean played fewer songs? If so, that's factually not true. They played 5 or 6 tracks from TBHC throughout the tour. Or if 'by rattled through the tracks' you meant they played them quicker, I'm pretty sure that's not true either. And the style? I don't seem to recall them turning Star Treatment into a rock banger.

11 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Whether this is factually correct or not, I think this is true. The album cycle is without a doubt over and hasn’t lasted anywhere near as long as their previous records.

It seems like they released this record, did a few shows and went back into hiding.

Yeah it was shorter and I also thought there might be summer outdoor shows. But it wasn't exactly a few shows, it was nearly a year, about 100 shows, and was pretty extensive globally (though not as big as the AM tour, granted). The few soundbites suggest they were keen to get back to writing/studio after years of not making music, perhaps they missed that more than the live shows, not sure.

3 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

When you say backtracked, do you mean played fewer songs? If so, that's factually not true. They played 5 or 6 tracks from TBHC throughout the tour. Or if 'by rattled through the tracks' you meant they played them quicker, I'm pretty sure that's not true either. And the style? I don't seem to recall them turning Star Treatment into a rock banger.

I've no idea if that was the case or not as I said it's second hand information so I don't know the veracity of it. The sense was it was rather lacklustre anyway and that was from someone who loved TBHC.

17 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Yeah it was shorter and I also thought there might be summer outdoor shows. But it wasn't exactly a few shows, it was nearly a year, about 100 shows, and was pretty extensive globally (though not as big as the AM tour, granted). The few soundbites suggest they were keen to get back to writing/studio after years of not making music, perhaps they missed that more than the live shows, not sure.

Yeah I agree actually. I think it’s best to say there were no major shows to make the tour memorable. No outdoor gig etc.