2020 headliners

jj200

25 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Why is them headlining definitely not happening?

Wouldn't say definitely not, but if you arranged all the potentials for next year by order of likelihood they'd be fairly low down the list.

They've haven't pushed on since their last set, a couple of albums which have hardly set the world alight and there doesn't seem to be a huge clamour to have them back what would be pretty soon.

My suspicion is there a few bands the Eavii would turn to before returning the Serge and the lads.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

What are all the obvious reasons?

You're gonna make me do this? Haha. Okay then...

• There are plenty of options I think the festival would prefer and go to first, especially if there is any emphasis on the 50th anniversary
  • Kasabian's stock has only fallen since they last headlined, they're no longer even one of the UK's top bands and have been overtaken (by most metrics and I'm sure popular opinion) by other contenders (the 1975, for example)
  • They've already done it and not too long ago - they don't even have the new headliner thing going for them
  • They won't offer diversity that I think Glastonbury will look for (yeah, I know plenty of other candidates don't either, but it does bring down the probability a bit in much the same way not being a new headliner does)

Yes, it is possible. Just very very very unlikely imo.

6 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Wouldn't say definitely not, but if you arranged all the potentials for next year by order of likelihood they'd be fairly low down the list.

They've haven't pushed on since their last set, a couple of albums which have hardly set the world alight and there doesn't seem to be a huge clamour to have them back what would be pretty soon.

My suspicion is there a few bands the Eavii would turn to before returning the Serge and the lads.

Meh it seems like all the same rubbish that people said about The Killers. Why do we consistently try to fool ourselves into thinking that Glastonbury doesn’t like to book big popular bands for the masses?

And for what it’s worth, Kasabian are past the point of hanging on the reception of each album. Not that the last album did poorly, for a rock album it sold very well despite nobody being interested in it, because they are that big.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Meh it seems like all the same rubbish that people said about The Killers. Why do we consistently try to fool ourselves into thinking that Glastonbury doesn’t like to book big popular bands for the masses?

And for what it’s worth, Kasabian are past the point of hanging on the reception of each album. Not that the last album did poorly, for a rock album it sold very well despite nobody being interested in it, because they are that big.

Yep, pretty much sold out their arena tour of that album too. 

15 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

We need a list of all the potentials with the reason for and against...

On 7/14/2019 at 8:54 PM, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Now that the sports are over...

Thought I'd try to list all of the potential headliners for next year, including any rumours/info we've got as well as anything that could be used as a case against each act. Tried to order them somewhat from most to least likely. Apologies if I've missed any major act/got any info wrong/missed any info.

Fleetwood Mac - comments made at Wembley, someone on the farm who's ITK supposedly said they've been booked for next year. However, they've famously been out of Glastonbury's price range, what's to say that'll change for next year.

Foals - supposedly 'in the frame' to headline next year, could follow in The Killers footsteps by headlining after doing a big secret set. However, they're not really any bigger than they were in 2016 when they subbed - who's to say they won't be given that slot again rather than the headline gig.

Elton John - he's currently on his final mega tour which was clearly planned very far in advance, so could have been booked a while ago which would allude to the rumour that some 2020 headliners were booked a year or so ago. However, he's never played the festival before - maybe he's just not that bothered about playing Glastonbury.

The 1975 - probably the biggest British band to come out of this decade, make the most sense of any 'new' artist to get the gig, Emily seemed interested in Matty's comments about wanting to headline the festival, another album is on its way later this year. However, they're headlining R&L this year and its rare for an act to headline Glastonbury the year after. Not impossible, though.

Neil Young - Michael made comments about Neil Young coming back next year. However, Michael talks a lot of shite.

Coldplay - friends of the festival, obvious, easy deal to make, crowd pleasing, Emily loves them, Chris Martin was popping up all over this year, 2020 will be the 20 year anniversary of their debut. However, they last headlined in 2016 and currently haven't released any new material since then, is it too soon for them to return?

Arctic Monkeys - they're a safe bet, they've released 2 albums since they last headlined (with a third potentially on its way) and it's been 7 years which is long enough by Muse and Coldplay's standards. However, there's no guarantee that they're going to be active next summer.

Kendrick Lamar - Emily was at his gig last year and sang his praises, likely to be active with new material next summer. However, is he too expensive? He was rumoured to be R&L's most expensive booking ever back in 2018, will he take Glastonbury's low pay?

Lady Gaga - her Vegas residency will have ended by then, likely to have new material out in the next year, her stock has risen a fair bit due to ASIB, played back in 2009 so she knows the festival. However, it might be too soon after her Vegas residency to have a new show ready to tour and she might not be active over the summer months.

Blur - they're friends of the festival, would be a popular booking with the masses. However, there's no guarantee they're gonna be active next summer and there was a poster on here suggesting that they're not gonna play Glastonbury again.

Beyoncé - potentially gonna have new material out in the next year, would be a popular booking with the masses, she's a huge superstar and would be a welcome returning headliner. However, would she need/want to do it again? There's also no guarantee she'll be active next summer.

The Kinks - there's decent info to suggest that they're getting back together, they were supposed to headline the first ever festival back in 1970 but didn't, so it would be quite poetic for them to headline the 50th anniversary. However, would they headline, or would they be more likely for a sub/legends slot. Or they might just do their own gigs and not play festivals at all.

Kings of Leon - rumoured to be playing Pilton Party, which usually results in a big booking at the following festival. However, would they really be at the top of the list given all the other options? Perhaps a secret set would be more likely.

Taylor Swift - was potentially spotted at the festival this year by @CaledonianGonzo, new album is on its way and her stock has arguably dropped somewhat which could make her a more feasible headliner than she was a couple of years ago. However, she's never wanted to do festivals in the past and there's nothing as of yet to suggest that this has changed.

Ariana Grande - a very current, big star, likely to be active next year. However, would she want to headline Glastonbury at this point in her career? She certainly doesn't need to.

Florence & the Machine - could have a new album out by next summer and would be 5 years since she last headlined, which is just about long enough, she's a friend of the festival and would be an easy, safe booking. However, might be a tad too soon to return and likely won't be at the top of the list of options.

AC/DC - looking likely that they're getting back together with a new album and tour. However, they're gonna be way out of Glastonbury's price range - it's unlikely they'd take the pay cut, probably will stick to their own shows instead.

Madonna - they're clearly eager to book her, she's likely going to be active over the summer. However, she's always been too expensive and that's unlikely to change next year.

Paul McCartney - could the fuss about him playing this year actually have been miscommunication about him really playing in 2020? However, Neil seems to have it on good authority that he's not booked for next year.

U2 - do they have unfinished business with the festival that they want to try and resolve? However, they may not be active next summer and they may see Glastonbury as a 'been there, done that' gig.

R.E.M - wasn't there some whispers about a potential reunion? However, these are just whispers. Probably nothing.

Radiohead - @parsonjack spoke to someone close to the festival who reckons they're booked for next year. However, this seems far too soon to return since 2017, likely to have no new material out since then and probably not even going to be active next summer.

Kate Bush - one can dream.

Here

Edited by dentalplan

9 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Of course they book popular bands, but with the exception of Coldplay they don’t book repeat bands so soon.

The Killers were, by all accounts, booked because the festival couldn’t land their top targets. I think the same would apply to Kasabian, on a list of potential reserves they know they can book with minimum fuss.

5 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Of course they book popular bands, but with the exception of Coldplay they don’t book repeat bands so soon.

The Killers were, by all accounts, booked because the festival couldn’t land their top targets. I think the same would apply to Kasabian, on a list of potential reserves they know they can book with minimum fuss.

They also booked muse quite a lot.

12 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Kasabian could easily join the likes of Muse and Coldplay in being a regular repeat - they are an easy choice for every other festival they play so why not Glastonbury?

Doing the whole thing about how Glastonbury will get who they want next year, and they’ll book in line with values we would like them to hold (diversity and new headliners) just smacks of incredible naivety. I really wouldn’t want Kasabian to be a headliner either but we can’t collectively will the festival out of booking them - there are many more who would like to see them headline again.

30 minutes ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

That list already feels a bit outdated. Will update it sometime soon.

Couple of things

- Ariana said on insta she isn’t touring in 2020

16 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Kasabian could easily join the likes of Muse and Coldplay in being a regular repeat - they are an easy choice for every other festival they play so why not Glastonbury?

Doing the whole thing about how Glastonbury will get who they want next year, and they’ll book in line with values we would like them to hold (diversity and new headliners) just smacks of incredible naivety. I really wouldn’t want Kasabian to be a headliner either but we can’t collectively will the festival out of booking them - there are many more who would like to see them headline again.

I’m gonna agree with dental here. There really isn’t anything to rule out Kasabian being an option at all other than it would be a pretty unpleasant booking.

I think they are a booking similar to Muse or Kings of Leon though, not really the Killers. Yeah the Killers booking did get a lot of flack at first, but I don’t think I’ve ever gone a week in my life without hearing Mr Brightside somewhere. I don’t think Kasabians output gets played much anymore.

But yeah nothing to rule them out yet. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Of course we can't will them out, and yes there are people who'd be more than happy to see them. But I'm willing to bet that the festival would call The 1975, Elton, Fleetwood Mac, Taylor Swift, Madonna, Kendrick, Blur, Arctic Monkeys, Lady Gaga, Beyoncé, Foals and even Coldplay before they picked up the phone to Serge and the lads.

That's what makes them hugely unlikely IMO, the sheer number of options ahead of them.

Long time lurker, but first post. 

It has been very interesting reading the discussions regarding headliners. Lots of thoughtful posts and different opinions. However, one thing that did stand out seems to be a fairly consistent dislike or apathy towards the idea or the Arctic Monkeys headlining, and I was wondering if someone could take a shot at explaining this position. 

To me, the Monkeys are currently the biggest band still active in the UK and have been pretty consistently reliable since 2007, even though there style has changed regularly. Their headlining slot in 2013 is accepted by most fans as being their one of their best, if not their best, performance, however it seems a lot of reviews on here from people who were there were not impressed. Why is this? 

Since their last headlining slot, they have released 2 albums, one of which was a worldwide success and the most recent being a significant deviation, but shows a more mature side and has some absolutely amazing live songs (four out of five, ultracheese, one point perspective). Plus their usual bangers from earlier years and considering the impact they have had on most British people who would now be in their 20s and 30s, it seems like it would be appropriate to have a proper British band like them to headline on one of the nights of the 50th.

What are the arguments against? Too recent since their last slot? Too mainstream? Not good enough? 

I'll just be happy to have tickets next year, but I would have thought AM would have been preferred to a band such as The 1975, so interested to hear peoples thoughts. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 2020 Vision said:

It has been very interesting reading the discussions regarding headliners. Lots of thoughtful posts and different opinions. However, one thing that did stand out seems to be a fairly consistent dislike or apathy towards the idea or the Arctic Monkeys headlining, and I was wondering if someone could take a shot at explaining this position. 

To me, the Monkeys are currently the biggest band still active in the UK and have been pretty consistently reliable since 2007, even though there style has changed regularly. Their headlining slot in 2013 is accepted by most fans as being their one of their best, if not their best, performance, however it seems a lot of reviews on here from people who were there were not impressed. Why is this? 

Since their last headlining slot, they have released 2 albums, one of which was a worldwide success and the most recent being a significant deviation, but shows a more mature side and has some absolutely amazing live songs (four out of five, ultracheese, one point perspective). Plus their usual bangers from earlier years and considering the impact they have had on most British people who would now be in their 20s and 30s, it seems like it would be appropriate to have a proper British band like them to headline on one of the nights of the 50th.

What are the arguments against? Too recent since their last slot? Too mainstream? Not good enough? 

I'll just be happy to have tickets next year, but I would have thought AM would have been preferred to a band such as The 1975, so interested to hear peoples thoughts. 

I think it's more that they aren't likely to be touring yet. That may change if the new album comes out sooner than expected. Either way it's not too soon since their last slot if Glastonbury's form of repeat headliners is to go by anyway. Just look at Coldplay and Muse. 

7 minutes ago, 2020 Vision said:

Greetings Mr Turner.

AM have done it a few times and their recent output is seen as... divisive? To be kind.

Also the band's attitude to performing seems to have turned into some kind of arch meta-analysis of what a performance is, which while it might be interesting to some, but it doesn't really scream headliner. Band like Muse at least put some effort into putting on a show - I don't like Muse, I'm just trying to place AM against other potentials.

Also if you're going to get AM to play at all, you can bet they're not going to want to be anything other than headliner. Glastonbury in particular are keen to push other bands (e.g. 1975) up to headliner status so why would you then have multiple white-boys-with-guitars bands headlining? Imagine the pushback on that.

Let's not forget that for the 40th anniversary in 2010 the headliners would have been U2, Muse and Stevie Wonder had all gone to plan (don't get me started on Gorillaz)

Which would have been the strongest set of headliners in the festival's history given popularity / status of each of them at that time.

If you're thinking for the 50th anniversary we're going to have Kasabian headline with all due respect you're off your head.

Arctic Monkeys are definitely a headliner at anything in the UK. I think they have held on to success because they know how to disappear and come back big. In their off time they completely fall off the face of the earth, but they come back big and strong each album.

If FM, Elton, The 1975 are not doing it then there is a chance. They’d have to be releasing an album in 2020 though, I doubt they’d tour if they weren’t.

It all depends whether they're active next year or not, at present there's nothing to suggest they will be but if they are then yes they'll certainly be high up the list of possibilities. As dental said about Kasabian, they are a huge act who many will be happy with.

Personally I'm a fan of the Monkeys, and enjoyed TBHC, but there is a long list of acts I'd rather see headline ahead of them. Wouldn't feel like a particularly inspiring booking to me.

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Let's not forget that for the 40th anniversary in 2010 the headliners would have been U2, Muse and Stevie Wonder had all gone to plan (don't get me started on Gorillaz)

Which would have been the strongest set of headliners in the festival's history given popularity / status of each of them at that time.

If you're thinking for the 50th anniversary we're going to have Kasabian headline with all due respect you're off your head.

So next year is gonna be the biggest set of Glastonbury headliners of all time? Just because of the anniversary? Just because it’ll be 2020 and the festival started in 1970, all of the appropriate acts who can make this the biggest set of headliners in the festival’s history will be willing to play - this is what you’re saying?

All reasonable responses. I may have misinterpreted the overall feelings towards AM and was intrigued by the hostility. 

I agree that the bands attitude towards performing live and also their attitude towards playing the crowd pleasers does not necessarily lend itself to being a great headliner, but they do turn it up for the big occasions I think (e.g. TRNSMT 2018). 

So long as we get one of FM, Reg, The Kinks or AM I will be over the moon. 

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Greetings Mr Turner.

Mr Kane, actually. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2020 Vision said:

All reasonable responses. I may have misinterpreted the overall feelings towards AM and was intrigued by the hostility. 

I agree that the bands attitude towards performing live and also their attitude towards playing the crowd pleasers does not necessarily lend itself to being a great headliner, but they do turn it up for the big occasions I think (e.g. TRNSMT 2018). 

Nah man ignore the subjective opinions of the users on this board AM are a massive headliner and a massive ticket seller and they could without a doubt headline again soon, it just depends on if they are touring or not.