2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, wro_lap said:

McCartney is more or less the biggest musical name in the planet's history. I know that's the definition of "legend", but there's no chance you could have him not headlining.

They could probably get away with having Ringo play the legends slot, but I sadly don't think that'll happen

I see your point I truly do! Although he’s a very humble guy, the legends slot gets the most PR and biggest crowd of the entire weekend, I wouldn’t put it past him to accept the slot, maybe bring Ringo on as a guest (maybe that’s a dream to far) but I’d still happily see him headline regardless?

FM are a done deal! They all but said they were playing next year in London! I would be genuinely shocked not to see them announced as headliner! And as for Reg it’s now ( meaning next June) or never! I know a lot of people like 1975, but I don’t see why they’d risk them headlining the 50th but maybe I’m missing something about them, but I don’t get it

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I'm sticking with my belief that they won't book FM and Reg in the same year.

1975 - T.Swizz - Reg

This is pretty spot in my opinion, 1975 & Reg are pretty much nailed on for me (would prefer Foals) and I cannot see them having no female headliner 3 years on the spin.

11 hours ago, ThomJG said:

Fri- Foals

Sat- Fleetwood Mac

Sunday- Elton John

Legend- Paul McCartney

Fleetwood Mac had two shows in London in June and said this time next year we’ll be playing in a muddy field in England! My brother attended this years festival with a friend who’s family know the Eavis’s, had dinner with 4th in charge of whole festival! Said out right they’ve booked FM! Michael Eavis said hopefully McCartney for next year live on camera! Glasto 2020 would coincide with the end of Elton’s Yellow brick road tour (perfect end to a perfect career!) And with Everything Not Saved Will Be Lost Part 2 coming out in October for Foals which is when they tend to book headliners! They’ve got to be the more contemporary headliner after their INSANE secret set on the park this year!! 

And I don’t like complaining about headliners because at Glastonbury it’s not to bigger deal but I think I might weep if it’s the 1975 on any of the three days!

that is not what they said.

29 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

FM are a done deal! They all but said they were playing next year in London!

That very much depends on how you interpret what was said.

Some people took it as a forward looking statement, some as a retrospective one. Even if you take it as a hint for the future, it was just a passing reference to "muddy fields", which covers more ground than just specifically Glastonbury 2020.

9 minutes ago, incident said:

That very much depends on how you interpret what was said.

Some people took it as a forward looking statement, some as a retrospective one. Even if you take it as a hint for the future, it was just a passing reference to "muddy fields", which covers more ground than just specifically Glastonbury 2020.

Yup.

From what Nick Dewey said at the end of April, I'm pretty sure there's been a recent-ish convo with FM where they both agreed that FM will play ("within 5 years" is what Nick said). But from the way he said it I reckon they probably hadn't fixed a particular year.

And i doubt Nick would have volunteered that info if they'd already agreed to play next year, cos i reckon he's unlikely to be giving up info about a headliner already in place.

Added to that, FM's tourdates still only go to the end of this year, and they've been like that for about 6 months now, so it doesn't look too likely that the tour is going to be extended - which means they're unlikely to be touring next June, which makes them less likely at the farm.

In conclusion I reckon the agreement is that they'll play next time they're touring, and that their next tour will be "within 5 years" but dates for that tour haven't been fixed yet.

I take that into account! But they don’t have to be touring to play, and they booked two headliners two years ago now! I’m genuinely 99% sure FM, are at Glasto 50! You can interpret what they said in London in a few different ways, and they definitely did say it, but all I know is a very high up organiser told my family member they were booked for 2020 to only about 10 others! Thought you’d all like to know the news!!? and to the whole world of course they’re not going to officially confirm anything  yet which is why Nick said what he did! But 2020 is the big one and I’m telling you it’s FM

20 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

they don’t have to be touring to play

correct in theory - but juggernaut bands like FM are rarely the types to do one-off shows outside of an agreed touring schedule (particularly for a low fee).

and they booked two headliners two years ago now!

stuff said by Emily since has proven that untrue - and what she said was 'lined-up' (or similar) rather than 'booked'.

Around the time of this year's fest she was talking about only having one lined up for next year, so whatever was in place 2 years ago hasn't come thru.

of course they’re not going to officially confirm anything  yet which is why Nick said what he did!

I don't have a history with Nick but I do have 20 years experience of Michael, Emily, and some others telling me stuff and they just don't give away the on-paper or in-place headliners to the likes of me - but they do tell me stuff that isn't happening to help kill it off. I'll be very surprised is Nick is working things in a different way.

To me, the fact he gave a name and a timescale says they're not booked - yet.

Edited by eFestivals

I respect that!? but when someone I live with told me that #4 in charge said to a bunch of people at Glasto 2019 who know the eavis’s and who used to help organise the festival and my brother ( who was way out of his depth and just there as a friend of a friend definitely not a festival organiser?) that FM were a done deal I’d thought I’d share! But it’s possible I have the wrong end if the stick with this one! It’s all speculation until we know for sure anyway 

10 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

someone I live with told me that #4 in charge said to a bunch of people at Glasto 2019 who know the eavis’s and who used to help organise the festival

Struggling to accept there is such a rigid organisational hierarchy within GFL that there even is a #4 in charge.....and anyone who labels themselves as such, and then blabs about what they *think* they know sounds like a bit of a dick to me...just sayin like.

8 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Struggling to accept there is such a rigid organisational hierarchy within GFL that there even is a #4 in charge.....and anyone who labels themselves as such, and then blabs about what they *think* they know sounds like a bit of a dick to me...just sayin like.

yeah, I was thinking much the same. And i'm struggling to think who he reckons is #4, cos what else he says doesn't really fit for any of the peeps i'd put at 4.

24 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

FM were a done deal

was that "a done deal for next year" or just "a done deal"?

Cos what Nick said would class a done a done deal, but not necessarily for next year.

17 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Welcome to the club, Number 908.

• Upvote 1

I don't think there's any doubt that talks between the festival and FM have taken place and that those talks were positive. However as Neil and others have said above, there's nothing to specifically place them next year, there are no 2020 dates booked that we know of and they are not the kind of band who will get together as a one off.

Definitely feels like a "next time we tour we'll swing by the farm" kind of arrangement to me.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

yeah, I was thinking much the same. And i'm struggling to think who he reckons is #4, cos what else he says doesn't really fit for any of the peeps i'd put at 4.

was that "a done deal for next year" or just "a done deal"?

Cos what Nick said would class a done a done deal, but not necessarily for next year.

I don’t think there’s an official #1, 2, 3, 4! But the gist was he was right up there after Micheal Emily and then Nick! I never met him personally. But the gist I got was it was a done deal for the 50th, and that they may have had Elton John secured but he might not because of money issues, that’s all the information correct or not that was relayed to me! I didn’t expect people to take my feelings so to heart! To be honest I don’t care who plays as long as I’m there at the greatest party on earth, and it’s not the 1975. I don’t hate their music but Matty Healy’s ego needs to be taken down a peg!

13 minutes ago, chatty said:

If we take Neil Finn outbof the equation Fleetwood Mac age from 69-76, doesnt seem like a grand plan to make arrangements for five years down the line, they might not even grace the Earth then. 

but also because they're that age (as well as other reasons) they're not going to tour every year, either.

Saying something like "we'll do it on our next tour which will be within the next five years" seems quite reasonable if they haven't settled on a year yet for when the next tour is.

However much I'd love it to be FM for the 50th, I think Neil's interpretation is far more likely. It takes a LOT of work, effort and money to put on a one off show compared to going on tour. It really doesn't make much sense for FM to only play Glastonbury in 2020 - but, if they announce other shows in 2020, then it suddenly becomes much more likely.