2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, Mouseboy11 said:

The thing about Eavis’ favourite band being Radiohead doesn’t seem right to me anyway. I’m sure it was mentioned on here (possibly by Neil) when they were booked that’s The Moody Blues are his favourite band?

I think it's one of those things which is a bit fluid, and his favourite band is whoever comes to mind

The Moody's must be up there tho. Michael was dead keen to get on stage with them to sing.

1 hour ago, Quark said:

Listening through it tens out I know more than I thought, just not by name. Looking at track listing I thought not, but then I hear stuff like Dead End Street, Stop Your Sobbing, Tired of Waiting For You and realise they're Kinks songs!

Glorious stuff.

I was the same. Great lyricist. 

13 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The 1975/Foals

Fleetwood Mac

Elton

with Celine Dion as the legend and Coldplay on standby if one of FM or Reg falls through

I don't think that'll be far off. 

*Looks back in 11 months time at none of the above and wonders why we ever think it'll go the way we think*

9 hours ago, Superscally said:

I don't think that'll be far off. 

*Looks back in 11 months time at none of the above and wonders why we ever think it'll go the way we think*

Still don’t think they’ll land both FM and Reg next year.

Headliners: 1975, T-Swizz, Reg

Legend: The Kinks

Big slots for: Pet Shop Boys, Black Keys, Foals, Wolf Alice, Bon Jovi (got a feeling about him for the rock slot), Dua Lipa, 

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Still don’t think they’ll land both FM and Reg next year.

Headliners: 1975, T-Swizz, Reg

Legend: The Kinks

Big slots for: Pet Shop Boys, Black Keys, Foals, Wolf Alice, Bon Jovi (got a feeling about him for the rock slot), Dua Lipa, 

I'm not complaining about that either. I won't Swizz, but most of my camp will lose their mind if she plays.

14 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Black Keys

Have we got a thread for The Black Keys? I really want to discuss the new album and potential positioning next year but also don't want to do a "<band name> 2020" for everyone who could be playing at this point.

20 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

Have we got a thread for The Black Keys? I really want to discuss the new album and potential positioning next year but also don't want to do a "<band name> 2020" for everyone who could be playing at this point.

I really liked early Black Keys. Thickfreakness, Rubber Factory and Magic Potion. When Danger Mouse got involved I felt that they lost their frantic energy, but I suppose they broke through and their music was on every other advert, film trailer and radio station. I saw them at Ally Pally in 2012, or around then, and it was maybe the worst gig I've been to. It was so flat. I've heard that their new album is back to basics rock, so maybe I'll check it out.

I seriously doubt they'd headline. Sub-headliner on the Pyramid or Other headliner seems more likely.  

8 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I really liked early Black Keys. Thickfreakness, Rubber Factory and Magic Potion. When Danger Mouse got involved I felt that they lost their frantic energy, but I suppose they broke through and their music was on every other advert, film trailer and radio station. I saw them at Ally Pally in 2012, or around then, and it was maybe the worst gig I've been to. It was so flat. I've heard that their new album is back to basics rock, so maybe I'll check it out.

I seriously doubt they'd headline. Sub-headliner on the Pyramid or Other headliner seems more likely.  

Aw that's a shame. I've only seen at festivals (headlining Latitude and subbing Glastonbury I think). I agree, I don't think they've stepped up to headlining so depends if they'd want to sub again. The only thing that could change matters is if Reading decided it was time and moneybagged them. 

28 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

I doubt anyone thinks they'll headline the Pyramid. Other looks a strong possibility if they are booked though.

I could see The Black Keys subbing the pyramid in the same way that Vampire Weekend did. 

They will probably occupy the “good time to get a wee and some food before the headliner comes on” slot in 2020.

EDIT: Although they’ve slipped off headline slots in America (which is their own market) so maybe they don’t give a fuck anymore. I’d say they could comfortably play third down pyramid nowadays. Rock slot?

Edited by Matt42

A thought on Blur.  Given that they've only released one album since Think Tank, and that their 2009 performance was arguably one of the defining Pyramid sets (at very least of the modern era), would a follow up end up being a bit of a, well, disappointment?

I mean, the Cure came back with maybe a view on laying their previous performance to rest, so the material wasn't really a question.  Everyone just wanted to hear it done properly. 

I don't think it'll stop them from headlining, but for anyone who was there previously, and definitely for me, could a return actually be any better, or even nearly as good? I don't think it could.

Edited by Quark

12 minutes ago, Quark said:

A thought on Blur.  Given that they've only released one album since Think Tank, and that their 2009 performance was arguably one of the defining Pyramid sets (at very least of the modern era), would a follow up end up being a bit of a, well, disappointment?

I mean, the Cure came back with maybe a view on laying their previous performance to rest, so the material wasn't really a question.  Everyone just wanted to hear it done properly. 

I don't think it'll stop them from headlining, but for anyone who was there previously, and definitely for me, could a return actually be any better, or even nearly as good? I don't think it could.

I don't think they much care. 

I think Damon sees occasional reunions as a way to keep his name out there to benefit the other projects he does, while the others see it as a bit of fun and excitement to do again now and then, away from their now-pretty-normal lives (I'd guess Damon finds it fun too).

For all of the while they can milk it and play the big rock stars again for a few days/weeks/months, why not?  

8 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

I think Damon sees occasional reunions as a way to keep his name out there to benefit the other projects he does, while the others see it as a bit of fun and excitement to do again now and then, away from their now-pretty-normal lives (I'd guess Damon finds it fun too).

For all of the while they can milk it and play the big rock stars again for a few days/weeks/months, why not?  

Oh aye, wasn't a question of whether they'd do it, or whether Eavis would book them.  I guess more about whether as a set it could be anything other than "not quite as good as 2009" at best!

4 hours ago, Quark said:

I, and I imagine a lot of others, would be well up for this having missed 2009. Man I wish I could have experienced that! 

Even if they can't match that performance, I'm sure they'd still deliver a great set and nobody would leave disappointed, enough for even those that witnessed 2009. 

So get 'em booked. Win all round! 

7 hours ago, eFestivals said:

From what we’ve heard, they do. :D

I remember them saying in 2015 when they had that new album that they should only play once every ten years and, while that has expired now, it seems like they’re not in a rush after the last one. And I think they are right to. Give it some time so people aren’t still talking about 2009 and so they have something to prove to a different generation of fans and I think that’s the best plan.

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

From what we’ve heard, they do. :D

I remember them saying in 2015 when they had that new album that they should only play once every ten years and, while that has expired now, it seems like they’re not in a rush after the last one. And I think they are right to. Give it some time so people aren’t still talking about 2009 and so they have something to prove to a different generation of fans and I think that’s the best plan.

I think that's my point. They could do it now, no doubt it would be amazing, the people who never saw them in '09 would have a blast, and tbh those who did see them would have a blast too

But...

Of the sets I've seen since I've been going, and '09 was my first so I'm not the most seasoned campaigner, that's probably the one I would point to as something that felt like something truly special. No other set I've seen has felt like I was a part of an event, a moment in time. From the whole triumphant return piece, to the slight tweak to End Of a Century to acknowledge that passing of time, to the crowd walking away still singing Tender, it was just...perfect.

And that's what would be in my mind. I don't think, for me, they could ever top that.

• Upvote 1