2020 headliners

jj200

Okay, to get this thread back around to acts who might actually headline Glastonbury - what's the word on Blur being around next year? If/when there's a rumbling of a tour/album in the works, they become an absolute lock IMO. The slot is theirs if they're active. Perfect for Friday night I reckon.

Something along the lines of this looks a good balance and within the realms of possibility:

Blur/Arctic Monkeys/Pulp(?)/some lesser white band with guitars (looking at you Kasabian)

Madonna/Swift/Gaga/someone equally enromo

Fleetwood/Elton (one of those two seem very likely I reckon)

Legend: Kinks/Chris Martin doing somat

8 minutes ago, jparx said:

Okay, to get this thread back around to acts who might actually headline Glastonbury - what's the word on Blur being around next year? If/when there's a rumbling of a tour/album in the works, they become an absolute lock IMO. The slot is theirs if they're active. Perfect for Friday night I reckon.

Something along the lines of this looks a good balance and within the realms of possibility:

Blur/Arctic Monkeys/Pulp(?)/some lesser white band with guitars (looking at you Kasabian)

Blue depends on which project Albarn is working on right now. He’s done Gorillaz & GBQ recently, it’s not a stretch to imagine he has BLUR scrawled across his planner for 2020.

What are the thoughts on Radiohead? I think it's too soon for them to headline again, but apparently they're Michael's favourite band, and so I'm sure he'd want them to play the 50th. But would they do another secret set? The festival has sorted out health and safety concerns with  secret sets - closing John Peel for the Killers in '17 - so could it happen? 

I don't know much about The Kinks outside of Wes Anderson films. But if they're about at all next year, on the 50th, when they headlined the 1st. They will surely be there.

Question I don't know the answer to is are they headline material?

4 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

What are the thoughts on Radiohead? I think it's too soon for them to headline again, but apparently they're Michael's favourite band, and so I'm sure he'd want them to play the 50th. But would they do another secret set? The festival has sorted out health and safety concerns with  secret sets - closing John Peel for the Killers in '17 - so could it happen? 

Thom’s a friend of the festival and they’ve done secret sets before... I don’t know if they’ll be active as a full band next year but it’s not impossible to think something like a secret Thom & Johnny set will happen somewhere.

38 minutes ago, jparx said:

The 1975/Foals

Fleetwood Mac

Elton

with Celine Dion as the legend and Coldplay on standby if one of FM or Reg falls through

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

46 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

It doesn't strike me as a particularly "Radiohead" thing to do. I know they've done a secret slot before and Thom has appeared a few times, but they've been used to play different material and by all accounts left casual fans a bit clueless. I think their last set was so perfect they may just want to leave it at that until they're in a position to headline again. 

A 60 minute hit filled set in John Peel with a rammed tent all screaming the lyrics to Just seems too perfect to happen IMO. It would be an all-timer mind you.

Just now, jparx said:

It doesn't strike me as a particularly "Radiohead" thing to do. I know they've done a secret slot before and Thom has appeared a few times, but they've been used to play different material and by all accounts left casual fans a bit clueless. I think their last set was so perfect they may just want to leave it at that until they're in a position to headline again. 

A 60 minute hit filled set in John Peel with a rammed tent all screaming the lyrics to Just seems too perfect to happen IMO. It would be an all-timer mind you.

Christ, in JPT? Given that there's no such thing as a secret set anymore that would be beyond the pale for crowd size. No way I could see them scheduling that.

38 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

The 1975/Foals

Fleetwood Mac

Elton

with Celine Dion as the legend and Coldplay on standby if one of FM or Reg falls through

Ah yeah, should have added 1975 to my Friday potentials. 

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Christ, in JPT? Given that there's no such thing as a secret set anymore that would be beyond the pale for crowd size. No way I could see them scheduling that.

Oh yeah, it'd be a nightmare. Even if they could work it out from the health and safety angle, you'd have to be camped in that tent for ages to guarantee a place. I don't see it happening, nor would I condone it!

I think Killers set the precedent that a headline act can play in there, though. 

3 minutes ago, jparx said:

Oh yeah, it'd be a nightmare. Even if they could work it out from the health and safety angle, you'd have to be camped in that tent for ages to guarantee a place. I don't see it happening, nor would I condone it!

I think Killers set the precedent that a headline act can play in there, though. 

I did wonder about the Killers thing.  I wonder if they learned from that with the secret sets being in slightly less bottlenecked places this year?

But objectively, Radiohead in that tent would be amazing! :lol:

16 minutes ago, Quark said:

I did wonder about the Killers thing.  I wonder if they learned from that with the secret sets being in slightly less bottlenecked places this year?

But objectively, Radiohead in that tent would be amazing! :lol:

At least the Killers set wasn't unsafe. It did get crowded hours before they even took to the stage but the rush to The Park for Radiohead's secret set was dangerous. 

A secret sent in a tent is logically always gonna be safer than a secret set on an open stage because it’s fairly easy to cut off the access points in a tent when it reaches capacity. Not that I think it’ll happen for one moment but I’m sure if you put Radiohead on John Peel up against, say, Elton John on the Pyramid and Bon Iver on the Other, it’d be okay

The secret sets deal really is quite a mess, I know it's kinda fun to wonder who it might be, but they're rarely kept secret and if it's a big band like Killers in JPT or Radiohead in the Park, it's just an absolute clusterfuck, aside from the lucky few who got there early. Just be up front about it and then no one misses a band they would have otherwise seen/not had to fight to see. 

I can't see Radiohead doing it as headliner anytime soon tho tbh. They're friends of the fest, but they're also Radiohead who do whatever the hell they want, I can't see them returning, esp given their last headline slot in 2017 didn't pull in a HUGE crowd. A lot of people left (me and a friend included) and they've not done much to widen their general appeal since then

7 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

A secret sent in a tent is logically always gonna be safer than a secret set on an open stage because it’s fairly easy to cut off the access points in a tent when it reaches capacity. Not that I think it’ll happen for one moment but I’m sure if you put Radiohead on John Peel up against, say, Elton John on the Pyramid and Bon Iver on the Other, it’d be okay

For The Killers they didn't close off John Peel at the tent entrance, there was hundreds of people outside the tent and then they closed off the field.

Personally, I found it surprising that they did the Foals secret set on the park.  If it was a wet and muddy year I think it could have been as dangerous as the Radiohead gig.

Sad as it is, I think big name secret sets should be consigned to history as there's just no such thing anymore with social media networks and alerts.

Realising how little I know of the Kinks' back catalogue.  Giving their best of a play this afternoon, and just don't know that much of it!

All in favour of them appearing based on this! :lol:

EDIT - that's not sarcasm. It's bloody wonderful.

Edited by Quark

37 minutes ago, Quark said:

Realising how little I know of the Kinks' back catalogue.  Giving their best of a play this afternoon, and just don't know that much of it!

All in favour of them appearing based on this! :lol:

EDIT - that's not sarcasm. It's bloody wonderful.

The Kinks are one of the most underrated bands ever. Some of the greatest songwriting ever. I only listened to them more after seeing Ray Davies in 2010. I think their in-fighting etc meant they never reached the heights they deserved to. 

33 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

The Kinks are one of the most underrated bands ever. Some of the greatest songwriting ever. I only listened to them more after seeing Ray Davies in 2010. I think their in-fighting etc meant they never reached the heights they deserved to. 

Listening through it tens out I know more than I thought, just not by name. Looking at track listing I thought not, but then I hear stuff like Dead End Street, Stop Your Sobbing, Tired of Waiting For You and realise they're Kinks songs!

Glorious stuff.