2020 headliners

jj200

Robbie Williams. An unqualified NO from me. He seems to have no real passion for music, he just likes to entertain people and music is the medium he has chosen. He is our generation's Bruce Forsythe.

And the poem about his old teacher... pathetic.

3 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Robbie Williams. An unqualified NO from me. He seems to have no real passion for music, he just likes to entertain people and music is the medium he has chosen. He is our generation's Bruce Forsythe.

And the poem about his old teacher... pathetic.

God forbid they put someone on the Pyramid who wants to entertain people!

The bastards!

4 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Has Williams actually done much in recent years?  You don't seem to hear much of him any more.  Am I out of his loop, so to speak, or is he still out hunting aliens in California, or whatever it was?

He dropped that Party Like a Russian nonsense and has since dropped off the radar.

I for one have no desire to mount a search party. Maybe he'll be leading the charge at Area 51

3 minutes ago, Quark said:

He dropped that Party Like a Russian nonsense and has since dropped off the radar.

I for one have no desire to mount a search party. Maybe he'll be leading the charge at Area 51

Ah yes.  He did the opening ceremony for the world cup last year didn't he.

Regardless, his appeal escapes me, so I'll leave this now to those that care.

Britney's on the same level as Williams and One Direction, for me. I've no problem with some solid pop (Taylor or Gaga would be glorious) but Britney - although she has the tunes - doesn't have the chops. She'd put on a great show but I can easily think of ten headliners who'd do a much better job.

5 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

There are still plenty of acts tailor-made for that slot to keep it kitsch for a few years yet, one lady in particular 

giphy.gif

Work Bitch booming out across the Pyramid field would out-camp even Dolly’s set.

Ms.Spears is one of the people I was thinking of, in that she doesn’t really have anything going for her beyond being a bit kitsch. She only ever had quite a short career and I’m not really sure how much appeal she has beyond her original fans. 

53 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Robbie played in 1998.  We who fail to learn the lessons of the past are doomed to repeat them.

I was wondering how long it was going to take before somebody remembered the last time he proved the Glastonbury crowd wrong ?

I would definitely watch him, but he's legends slot, not headliner. If Kylie can do it I can't see his ego stopping him.

3 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Would he though? Unless the worst people all bought tickets in October on the off chance he played I’m not sure he’d make that much difference.

You do reach a point though where the festival gets a reputation for reliably serving up the blandest of the bland (or most basic of the basic if you prefer). I accept that the core of the festival is no longer counter-cultural, but at what point does what is left of the uniqueness vanish.

Put it another way. The most innovative of restaurants can serve up Big Mac’s a few times and it’s either funny or a knowing comment. Do it too many times and they’ve become McDonalds. 

7 minutes ago, Peanut butter vibes said:

Do we think Florence will appear in some capacity next year, given that she absolutely loves the festival? I’m not sure I could really see her headlining again yet, so maybe a secret set? 

Or the rock slot.

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

Ms.Spears is one of the people I was thinking of, in that she doesn’t really have anything going for her beyond being a bit kitsch. She only ever had quite a short career and I’m not really sure how much appeal she has beyond her original fans. 

I wouldn't say short career. She had big hits for over a decade.

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

I was wondering how long it was going to take before somebody remembered the last time he proved the Glastonbury crowd wrong ?

I would definitely watch him, but he's legends slot, not headliner. If Kylie can do it I can't see his ego stopping him.

I was there, sort of.  We used to always camp in Row Mead back then, so I saw a lot of the late 90s Pyramid acts.

And you're right, he did prove me wrong, although I don't think this reflects particularly badly on me.  It was 1998, his only big tune was Angels.  It could have ended there but look what happened.

Like I said, I was proven wrong!

2 minutes ago, sadimmock said:

You do reach a point though where the festival gets a reputation for reliably serving up the blandest of the bland (or most basic of the basic if you prefer). I accept that the core of the festival is no longer counter-cultural, but at what point does what is left of the uniqueness vanish.

Put it another way. The most innovative of restaurants can serve up Big Mac’s a few times and it’s either funny or a knowing comment. Do it too many times and they’ve become McDonalds. 

He'd be one act out of hundreds (and two other headline slots for stuff that's "non-bland" but really meat & potatoes guitar music), he's hardly going to bring the festival crashing down.

Pretty sure the same was said about Kanye. And Jay-Z. And Adele. And Metallica....

Thing about Robbie is, some of the tunes are alright. I actually really like 'I've Been Expecting You' - some decent pop songs on that one.

But it's just his face, isn't it. It's his fucking face. It's like, you start to enjoy the tune, thinking 'oh yeah, this one's alright', then he comes sauntering out, all swag, with that shit-eating grin like a man perpetually locked into a w*nk in front of a mirror. The second he appears, it's all over. I hate the tune and I'm thinking of ways to wipe that simpering smirk off his stupid head.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 11