2020 headliners

jj200

5 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Are you really saying that Drake, the man with the most weeks at number one since 2000, does not have enough hits to do the pymild?

No, and I didn’t say that

Guarantee you 95% of people over about 35 couldn’t name you a single one of his songs, except maybe Hotline Bling because it was a meme

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

44 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Guarantee you 95% of people over about 35 couldn’t name you a single one of his songs, except maybe Hotline Bling because it was a meme

I’m 37 and know most of his songs, so do my friends. He’s 32 himself. Why would that be an issue anyway? Do the festival specifically want to cater for over 35s? Do many over 35s know most of Stormzys songs?

Drake obviously has the hits to headline - to say otherwise is ridiculous - but he’s gone from being a pretty great hip-hop artist to a businessman releasing generic shite willing to do anything to stay at top and make every bit of $$$ he can. Guys essentially turned himself in to a walking meme at the expense of quality output. Never gonna headline Glastonbury as he has zero need to. And tbh I doubt he’s somebody the bookers are particularly arsed about.

Edited by FloorFiller

25 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I’m 37 and know most of his songs, so do my friends. He’s 32 himself. Why would that be an issue anyway? Do the festival specifically want to cater for over 35s? Do many over 35s know most of Stormzys songs?

His most recent setlist > https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/drake/2019/ziggo-dome-amsterdam-netherlands-73931e2d.html

Soz but that would absolutely bomb

If he is happy to do it for the standard fee then fine, good luck to him, but going by his gig prices I suspect he’d charge an amount you could get a genuine GOAT for instead, so what’d be the point ...

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

6 hours ago, Mattymooz said:

Are you really saying that Drake, the man with the most weeks at number one since 2000, does not have enough hits to do the pymild? I mean, I don't think he'd do it for other reasons ($$$) but that is quite baffling (I ain't a fan by any means, but I'd argue he would be one of if not the defining artist of the 2010's). His chart stats for the record:

image.png.32645b8349cab8a5ad1ea0bcc865dadf.png

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

As said, I could name you anything from him off my head I don't think, but then I couldn't from Stormzy....neither are my cup of tea but if Stormzy can be chosen then Drake is unquestionable if he was a wanted option.

Record sales (or streaming) is not the sole indicator of suitability to headline. If you go down that route then you end up with V festival.  There has to be a degree of general awareness (or buzz) and some degree of cross-over appeal. Stormzy may not have a massive fan-base amongst the over 35s, but we know who is is. He’s been on news-panels and mentioned in articles etc. This year felt like grabbing the zeitgeist a little (even if it did come a few years too late). I’m not sure that the Drake’s etc have the same kind of cachet or broad appeal that a Stormzy or Jay Z does.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Quite like the fact the kinks could headline the 50th, something very Glastonbury about getting a band 50 years later to do what should have happened in 1970

This would make my year, but would be very happy with a Sunday afternoon set instead. It would be interesting to see what kind of crowd they get. I suspect that it would be much larger than many would expect. 

35 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Quite like the fact the kinks could headline the 50th, something very Glastonbury about getting a band 50 years later to do what should have happened in 1970

Stone Roses for 2045 - you heard it here first :lol:

1 hour ago, sadimmock said:

This would make my year, but would be very happy with a Sunday afternoon set instead. It would be interesting to see what kind of crowd they get. I suspect that it would be much larger than many would expect. 

There's too much buzz around The Kinks for it not to be happening. I think it's just a question of whether they're headliners or legends. I have a feeling they'd  be offered the headline slot, but as others have said the legends slot is now effectively a fourth headliner, and the crowd for that slot isn't as split as it would be a few hours later. 

Kinks looking likely to play at least. I wouldn't be upset if they headlined or if they got the legend spot. Makes a lot of sense with their history with the festival and Michael always speaks highly of them. Plus any set from them with Lola, you really got me and I'm not like everybody else would be amazing. 

39 minutes ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

I know 2 Drake tunes, but he is obviously absolutely massive. He is probably the biggest north american act of the decade.

He failed to sell 2 nights at Manc arena. Someone at work went 1 night & said it was about 2/3 full... but it wad due to the prices being far too high. 

Curious as to how expensive those tickets were.

There's no doubt concert tickets are increasing in price much faster than inflation, but it becomes a challenge for acts who market themselves at teens and twenty-somethings and then price them out of the market for concert tickets. I saw U2 at Twickenham where seating  in the stands was about £135 I think - inevitably, barely anyone under 40 was there... which is odd as they still seem so concerned with being 'relevant' and yet are definitely charging 'heritage' prices for tickets.

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

True, but hopefully the Kinks won't serve up an hour of dross beforehand.

I think that's a little unfair to Jeff, the songs are solid even though the performance was a little, er relaxed? But I can't see the Kinks offering a show that would have much higher energy levels.

I think Rage really would headline, especially if they came back after hiatus and Glastonbury was the first festival to get them. They're no heavier than Metallica. And they've got at least one song that EVERYONE knows the words to (and a Christmas no 1 to boot).

But, are there any plans for them getting back together. Prophets seem a going concern for the near future, so I doubt it.