2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, mufcok said:

Big time, they're done. I'd say there's a decent chance of Brownie popping up next year, sure I heard he's gonna be back touring in December

The Stone Roses are finished. Had their chance in 2017 but turned their noses up at the fee,

Is Brown waiting until everyone forgets that stinker of an album he put out recently?

4 hours ago, Matt87 said:

Here's my colour-coded thoughts:

• Led Zeppelin - Won't happen. ££££
  • ABBA - Won't happen. ££££
  • Meatloaf(!!!) - Won't happen. Is he ever playing again anyway? 
  • Fleetwood Mac - We know they want them, but money wanted is an issue.
  • Pink Floyd - Won't happen. Widely circulated that they're done now.
  • Guns N Roses - Won't happen. ££££
  • AC/DC - Won't happen. ££££
  • Elton John - Possible. Gap in his "final" tour currently. 
  • Bon Jovi - Won't happen. ££££
  • Eminem - Won't happen. ££££
  • Madonna - Emily wants her; Madonna craves attention. But would she do it for the infamously low fee?
  • Queen - Won't happen. ££££
  • Simon and Garfunkey  - Won't happen, I think they have called it a day.
  • Britney - Won't happen.  ££££
  • Spice Girls - Could happen, but I think as Legends rather than headliners. 
  • Oasis - Unlikely, for obvious reasons. 
  • Green Day - Has become a possibility with recent events, but still probably unlikely. 
  • Coldplay - Let's be honest, it's quite likely. 

Very convincing summary.

1 minute ago, Avalon_Fields said:

One of the bands who won the festival emerging talent are stating they’ve been told The Kinks are on for 2020.

(Probably more plausible than many on the list I’d suggest).

As headliners or was that bit not said?

6 hours ago, Matt87 said:

• Britney - Won't happen.  ££££

The good lady Brit played Brighton Pride last year so I dunno how arsed she is about the ol’ dollar. I know she’s taken a step back from performing for the moment but her legends slot setlist will be absolutely stacked with bangers one day.

• Tame Impala - no crossover appeal
  • Lady Gaga - one day, has to happen
  • The 1975 - has to be next year, realistically, if it’s gonna happen, don’t know how long it’ll be before they start falling away
  • George Ezra - inevitable 
  • Calvin Harris - no chance, for every possible reason
  • Taylor Swift - £££ and the Pyramid’s limited scope for big productions make it unlikely. But would be brilliant
  • Rihanna - bad live rep, arguably too far over the hill as well 
  • Bruno Mars - incredible live but loves the £££ 
  • Kendrick Lamar - ditto
  • Daft Punk (!) - don’t exist 
  • Sam Smith - last album bombed compared to his first. Still sold a fuckload but the momentum is gone 
  • Drake - not enough hits with crossover appeal
  • Arctic Monkeys - inevitable they’ll do it again one day but hopefully not yet 
  • Noel Gallagher - less likely than Lewis Capaldi
  • Mark Ronson - definitely not
  • Blur - if they ever perform again, Emily will surely be at the front of the queue, but that’s an if
  • Arcade Fire - once and done 
  • Disclosure - absolutely not 
  • The XX - unlikely unless they go in a mainstream direction on the next album 

Lewis Capaldi is gonna do it within five years at the rate he’s going, Billie Eilish too. Ed Sheeran will be back at some point as well 

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

43 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:
  • Tame Impala - no crossover appeal

Borderline is being hammered on Radio 1 right now. Their other stage set went down incredibly well.

The good lady Brit played Brighton Pride last year so I dunno how arsed she is about the ol’ dollar. I know she’s taken a step back from performing for the moment but her legends slot setlist will be absolutely stacked with bangers one day.

• Calvin Harris - no chance, for every possible reason

Well, I mean ecept for the fact that he's had (or collaborated on) 34 top 40 singles including 10 number 1s and has a list of collaborators  that includes Florence Welch, Rag 'n' Bone man, Kelis, Example, Ne-Yo, Tinie Tempah, Ellie Goulding, John Newman, Haim, Rihanna, Dizzee Rascal, Pharrell Williams, Arianna Grande, Khalid, Katy Perry, SZA, Dua Lipa and Sam Smith etc. The fact he holds the record for the most top 10 singles from one album (9) and the fact that he's probably the most successful British artist of this generation.

Yeah, apart from all those things (and the fact that he passes all of Quark's tests for a Glastonbury headliner, there's no chance ?

• Mark Ronson - definitely not

He was very well received when he played the Other stage a few years ago and his new album is the best album I've heard for a couple of years. He may not be the perfect fit but I think he'd do an incredible job, he always does.

Lewis Capaldi is gonna do it within five years at the rate he’s going, Billie Eilish too. Ed Sheeran will be back at some point as well 

Lewis - certainly could. Ed Sheeran - definitely. Billie Eilish - erm, I'd be surprised if anybody remembered her a year form now.

Aside from those, I agree with everything else you wrote.

Edited by bombfrog

36 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Borderline is being hammered on Radio 1 right now. 

It’s a banger tbf but that and Let It Happen alone surely aren’t enough

Definitely not the least likely on that list though, I grant you

36 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Billie Eilish - erm, I'd be surprised if anybody remembered her a year form now.

I mean, it’s obvs possible because pop music is so fickle. But the way things are going for her right now that’d be a big ol’ fall from grace

24 minutes ago, TKOCF said:

I think Calvin could do it IF it was more of a live show and he brought out a shitload of special guests. He was crap at V Fest 2015 though. 

Big if, as you say. Hits or no hits, he’s crap live. He did nothing special when he headlined T, unless you count Will Smith rambling for five minutes beforehand.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Just to address the issue of people not wanting to do it because of the ££££s. Isn't the whole point that artists headline Glastonbury becuase they sell a truck load of albums and tickets to their next tour because so many people see it at home? Does anybody lose money headlining the big G?

16 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

Since we're discussing so many different acts: if they reunited, where would Rage Against the Machine play? Where would Kraftwerk play?

Two very good calls. Kraftwerk are headlining Bluedot on Saturday night, so lets see what people say.

Rage... well, they'd have the profile for headlining the Pyramid but I think they'd end up on Other becuase they're a bit too much for the Pyramid crowd.

33 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Just to address the issue of people not wanting to do it because of the ££££s. Isn't the whole point that artists headline Glastonbury becuase they sell a truck load of albums and tickets to their next tour because so many people see it at home? Does anybody lose money headlining the big G?

Yes. Acts who don't need the career boost.

8 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Just going down the list of biggest selling albums ever and weeding out veryone who's played the festival or dead, you're left with....

• Led Zeppelin (Page and Plant?, do they still talk?)
  • ABBA (Forever talking about a reunion)
  • Meatloaf(!!!)
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Pink Floyd
  • Guns N Roses
  • AC/DC
  • Elton John
  • Bon Jovi
  • Eminem
  • Madonna
  • Queen
  • Simon and Garfunkey (have they finally called it a day?) **
  • Britney
  • Spice Girls
  • Oasis
  • Green Day
  • Coldplay

That's pretty much it, except for a few that have mostly sod albums in America. There are definitely a couple there though.

** I've seen this typo, yes, but I'm leaving it in for obvious reasons.

Where's Shania Twain? Come On Over one of the biggest is it not?

30 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Two very good calls. Kraftwerk are headlining Bluedot on Saturday night, so lets see what people say.

Rage... well, they'd have the profile for headlining the Pyramid but I think they'd end up on Other becuase they're a bit too much for the Pyramid crowd.

Kraftwerk are a tough one to place. Could feasibly headline any of Other, JP or West Holts.

4 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:
  • Drake - not enough hits with crossover appeal

Are you really saying that Drake, the man with the most weeks at number one since 2000, does not have enough hits to do the pymild? I mean, I don't think he'd do it for other reasons ($$$) but that is quite baffling (I ain't a fan by any means, but I'd argue he would be one of if not the defining artist of the 2010's). His chart stats for the record:

image.png.32645b8349cab8a5ad1ea0bcc865dadf.png

Well, he’s got the one where he drones on about mobile phones, is it?  and . . . . that’s it. Couldn’t name another song. He’s got an extremely strange voice. Like a little frog man. Don’t get me wrong, I like frogs! ? lovely little faces! But not pyramid headliners. 

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Well, he’s got the one where he drones on about mobile phones, is it?  and . . . . that’s it. Couldn’t name another song. He’s got an extremely strange voice. Like a little frog man. Don’t get me wrong, I like frogs! ? lovely little faces! But not pyramid headliners. 

Are you talking about Drake as well? I’m sorry but that’s crazy talk. I’m not really a fan but he’s got an absolute ton of hits. If he isn’t headliner worthy based on the last 5-10 years then god knows who is. To further add to the post above yours look at the amount of Spotify plays his top 5 tracks have got... but no crossover appeal?

04D7F9BC-2CB4-4A8B-B66A-6E3A3B7A7C8D.thumb.png.b424d420e82fa843b0b0ab51eacae237.png 

No crossover appeal? Gods plan has got 1.3 BILLION plays for crying out loud.

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton