2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Just going down the list of biggest selling albums ever and weeding out veryone who's played the festival or dead, you're left with....

• Led Zeppelin (Page and Plant?, do they still talk?)
  • ABBA (Forever talking about a reunion)
  • Meatloaf(!!!)
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Pink Floyd
  • Guns N Roses
  • AC/DC
  • Elton John
  • Bon Jovi
  • Eminem
  • Madonna
  • Queen
  • Simon and Garfunkey (have they finally called it a day?) **
  • Britney
  • Spice Girls
  • Oasis
  • Green Day
  • Coldplay

That's pretty much it, except for a few that have mostly sod albums in America. There are definitely a couple there though.

** I've seen this typo, yes, but I'm leaving it in for obvious reasons.

Probably about time Coldplay had a shot at it.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

The Approved eFests Pyramid Headliner Litmus Tests:

• Does you mum know who they are?
  • Do your kids know who they are?
  • Do your Glastonbury-attending non-eFester friends know who they are?
  • Can any of the above name or recognise more than one of their songs? (TV adverts / theme songs excluded)

The biggest one is “do coworkers with no interest in music who know you go to Glastonbury know them, or are you going to have to repeat the name twice and vaguely explain what they are?”. People get really scared about that one. Let’s hope it’s Kings of Leon for their sake.

Edited by dentalplan
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

As people have said, he sold out All Points East (lots of recent Other headliners have headlined that) and sold most of a pretty heavy UK arena tour on the day. I know there is a lot of love for him on here but it’s certainly not delusional - a ‘new’ band doing that would be championed as future headliners.

Yeah I think it's quite funny how people act like it's way beyond the realms of possibility. He literally always plays in the second biggest slot.

Here's my colour-coded thoughts:

• Led Zeppelin - Won't happen. ££££
  • ABBA - Won't happen. ££££
  • Meatloaf(!!!) - Won't happen. Is he ever playing again anyway? 
  • Fleetwood Mac - We know they want them, but money wanted is an issue.
  • Pink Floyd - Won't happen. Widely circulated that they're done now.
  • Guns N Roses - Won't happen. ££££
  • AC/DC - Won't happen. ££££
  • Elton John - Possible. Gap in his "final" tour currently. 
  • Bon Jovi - Won't happen. ££££
  • Eminem - Won't happen. ££££
  • Madonna - Emily wants her; Madonna craves attention. But would she do it for the infamously low fee?
  • Queen - Won't happen. ££££
  • Simon and Garfunkey  - Won't happen, I think they have called it a day.
  • Britney - Won't happen.  ££££
  • Spice Girls - Could happen, but I think as Legends rather than headliners. 
  • Oasis - Unlikely, for obvious reasons. 
  • Green Day - Has become a possibility with recent events, but still probably unlikely. 
  • Coldplay - Let's be honest, it's quite likely. 

20 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The biggest one is “do coworkers with no interest in music who know you go to Glastonbury know them, or are you going to have to repeat the name twice and vaguely explain what they are?”. People get really scared about that one. Let’s hope it’s Kings of Leon.

Cue co-workers across the country all singing the chorus from Sex on Fire to show they know who they are.  A great disturbance, as if millions of voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something terrible has happened.

Edited by Quark
  • Upvote 1

All the talk on here is about the big big acts who haven't played yet, let's call them the Saturday headliner, but what about the other nights and (younger?) acts who might play the other night? Here's a list of acts taken from a list of top selling albums in the 2010s. Some of them would need a bit of a shot in the arm or a big new album to graduate but any of them could potentially be in with a shot?

• Tame Impala
  • Lady Gaga
  • The 1975
  • George Ezra
  • Calvin Harris
  • Taylor Swift
  • Rihanna
  • Bruno Mars
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Daft Punk (!)
  • Sam Smith
  • Drake
  • Arctic Monkeys
  • Noel Gallagher
  • Mark Ronson
  • Blur
  • Arcade Fire
  • Disclosure
  • The XX (personal favourite but probably not going to get better than the sunset set)

5 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

All the talk on here is about the big big acts who haven't played yet, let's call them the Saturday headliner, but what about the other nights and (younger?) acts who might play the other night? Here's a list of acts taken from a list of top selling albums in the 2010s. Some of them would need a bit of a shot in the arm or a big new album to graduate but any of them could potentially be in with a shot?

• Tame Impala
  • Lady Gaga
  • The 1975
  • George Ezra
  • Calvin Harris
  • Taylor Swift
  • Rihanna
  • Bruno Mars
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Daft Punk (!)
  • Sam Smith
  • Drake
  • Arctic Monkeys
  • Noel Gallagher
  • Mark Ronson
  • Blur
  • Arcade Fire
  • Disclosure
  • The XX (personal favourite but probably not going to get better than the sunset set)

Bruno Mars from that list would absolutely kill it. Loads of tunes, great musicianship from him and the Hooligans, a showman. Can't see it happening though as no connection with the festival and therefore unlikely to do it for the fee. 

Blur could and should headline in 2020. 

Daft Punk, would be amazing. 

Those three might be my dream, currently touring headliners. 

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

As people have said, he sold out All Points East (lots of recent Other headliners have headlined that) and sold most of a pretty heavy UK arena tour on the day. I know there is a lot of love for him on here but it’s certainly not delusional - a ‘new’ band doing that would be championed as future headliners.

That's because a 'new' band headlining on APE would be on a very clear upward trajectory that would be heading towards headliners (I mean Pyramid).

I think Nick is great but although is popularity is strong right now, he is probably at the peak popularity he is going to be at.

He's not a small Other Stage headliner in my opinion (he's subbed afterall) but I don't see him as an Glastonbury festival headliner right now. 

No-one really knows.  There was a load of hype on here for 2017 as a possibility; 10 years after the 2007 Alive shows, and I seem to remember some slightly cryptic stuff on the socials that hinted at happenings.

I would love love love them to play, but it doesn't seem likely

21 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Bruno Mars from that list would absolutely kill it. Loads of tunes, great musicianship from him and the Hooligans, a showman. Can't see it happening though as no connection with the festival and therefore unlikely to do it for the fee. 

Blur could and should headline in 2020. 

Daft Punk, would be amazing. 

Those three might be my dream, currently touring headliners. 

Daft punk woudl be the main reason i got a ticket

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

The biggest one is “do coworkers with no interest in music who know you go to Glastonbury know them, or are you going to have to repeat the name twice and vaguely explain what they are?”. People get really scared about that one. Let’s hope it’s Kings of Leon for their sake.

Sorry, who?

40 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Are Daft Punk done? They haven't toured since 2007 and have only played a handful of shows since then, with most being the Grammys. I don't see it ever happening to be honest. 

The million dollar question. I'd like to hope not, never got to see them but nobody seems to know anything 

40 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Are Daft Punk done? They haven't toured since 2007 and have only played a handful of shows since then, with most being the Grammys. I don't see it ever happening to be honest. 

The million dollar question. I'd like to hope not, never got to see them but nobody seems to know anything 

2 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Just going down the list of biggest selling albums ever and weeding out veryone who's played the festival or dead, you're left with....

• Led Zeppelin (Page and Plant?, do they still talk?)
  • ABBA (Forever talking about a reunion)
  • Meatloaf(!!!)
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Pink Floyd
  • Guns N Roses
  • AC/DC
  • Elton John
  • Bon Jovi
  • Eminem
  • Madonna
  • Queen
  • Simon and Garfunkey (have they finally called it a day?) **
  • Britney
  • Spice Girls
  • Oasis
  • Green Day
  • Coldplay

That's pretty much it, except for a few that have mostly sod albums in America. There are definitely a couple there though.

** I've seen this typo, yes, but I'm leaving it in for obvious reasons.

I feel like Stone Roses are missing from this list.  Were booked to do it but had to pull out and Pulp replaced them, then looked like they were in the frame for 2017 but I guess ££ put a stop to that.  I would love to see them do it, but I think that ship has sailed now!

1 hour ago, bombfrog said:

• Tame Impala
  • Lady Gaga
  • The 1975
  • George Ezra
  • Calvin Harris
  • Taylor Swift
  • Rihanna
  • Bruno Mars
  • Kendrick Lamar
  • Daft Punk (!)
  • Sam Smith
  • Drake
  • Arctic Monkeys
  • Noel Gallagher
  • Mark Ronson
  • Blur
  • Arcade Fire
  • Disclosure

I really like Tame Impala but I don't see them headlining. This years set was enjoyable enough but it felt to me like it was plodding along at times. I preferred the last one they did when it was on Pyramid, 2016 was it?

10 minutes ago, Airlie said:

I feel like Stone Roses are missing from this list.  Were booked to do it but had to pull out and Pulp replaced them, then looked like they were in the frame for 2017 but I guess ££ put a stop to that.  I would love to see them do it, but I think that ship has sailed now!

Big time, they're done. I'd say there's a decent chance of Brownie popping up next year, sure I heard he's gonna be back touring in December

The Stone Roses are finished. Had their chance in 2017 but turned their noses up at the fee,