2020 headliners

jj200

14 hours ago, lighthouse said:

I think Nick Cave is in this position where he's too big to headline the Other of sub the Pyramid, but may seem to small/unknown to be one of the big 3.

He'd knock it out of the park though. Maybe he will do it in another album's time. Cave's popularity has grown exponentially in the past years. A lot of people seem to realise how good he is.

Nick Cave is most certainly not too big to headline the Other. I mean, New Order couldn't even half-fill that field, and Nick Cave isn't twice as big as them....

not exactly rammo at the PYramid in 2013 either, was it

B7CKE0N.jpg

Edited by ghostdancer1

56 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I came in from JP side and had to be pretty much back at the railway line before there was any space... 

I was there; it was pretty busy. 

That being said, a few days after playing Glasto they played the O2 Academy in Glasgow. The last time they toured the UK they played the Academies, but have also played Wembley Arena. I think at Glasto a lot of people watched them out of curiosity, who wouldn't be likely to buy a ticket for their own show.    

6 hours ago, thewayiam said:

Arcade Fire did Hyde Park twice, are people bloody mad?!, we care talking about the staple London gig....not go between of Brixton and The 02!

34 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

Getting a hard time I don't care about but it's not hard to differentiate between playing and a gig at Wembley Arena which is by the way the middle ground between Brixton and The 02....that's quite simple stuff, and playing a gig at Hyde Park to 60k people which AF did. To even try and suggest the Foals and the likes of those in that level bracket are AF size is crazy.

Ok I'm not disagreeing with you. I just didn't and still don't understand the phrase "we care talking about the staple London gig"

11 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

You seem to confuse 2013 Nick with 2019 Nick in terms of popularity. Cave is much, much bigger than New Order nowadays, in terms of popularity and ticket sales. At least, he is in Belgium. Here he sold out the biggest arena (Sportpaleis) in about 30min. Acts like QOTSA, The Killers couldn't even fill that place, for instance.

Nobody would deny that he has a loyal fanbase - and yes a good sized one, that has definitely increased since last time.

What he doesn't have (that those acts do) is enough mainstream recognition / well known songs that he's going to attract significant numbers to the stage beyond those same people who would buy tickets to his own concert. Like it or not, that has to be a key factor for a Pyramid headliner. The proof of that is easy to see, it happened just over 2 weeks ago when he stepped out on stage to for the most part a collective wave of indifference.

29 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

Cave is much, much bigger than New Order nowadays, in terms of popularity and ticket sales. At least, he is in Belgium.

The standard way of guaguing the popularity of acts and their suitability for a pyramid headline slot is of course how many tickets they sell in Belgium.

In all seriousness, you've massively overestimated his profile. I could see him just about being big enough to headline the other stage as I know he has his fans, but there is no mainstream appeal there. I couldn't name one of his songs and it's not as if I don't listen to a lot of new music.

17 minutes ago, Airlie said:

Without a shadow of a doubt this form believes that Nick cave is more popular to the mainstream audience than he actually is. 

There are a few other acts like that on here, the one that springs immediately to mind is The National. I remember a few years ago everybody going nuts over The Flaming Lips too.

4 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

There are a few other acts like that on here, the one that springs immediately to mind is The National. I remember a few years ago everybody going nuts over The Flaming Lips too.

pretty much none of us National fans believe they're in any way popular to a mainstream audience. Them subbing the Pyramid was a baffling choice for most of us IIRC.

Them headlining the Other would be, at best, half full IMO.

Edited by ghostdancer1

To be honest, I don't really think Nick Cave is that mainstream. My point is more that they should take a punt on more interesting headliners and Cave would be an excellent choice. He would smash it and it would open up the pool of potential headliners considerably. Looking like slim pickings currently. 

1 hour ago, ghostdancer1 said:

Nick Cave is most certainly not too big to headline the Other. I mean, New Order couldn't even half-fill that field, and Nick Cave isn't twice as big as them....

not exactly rammo at the PYramid in 2013 either, was it

B7CKE0N.jpg

Worth noting that the Pumpkins were on at the same time in 2013. I imagine there is a lot of crossover between fanbases.

20 minutes ago, Airlie said:

Without a shadow of a doubt this form believes that Nick cave is more popular to the mainstream audience than he actually is. 

I think this especially rings true concerning Glastonbury as time goes on and festivals have become increasingly more mainstream and populated by people going as a bit of a box ticker more than anything else. Nick Cave’s name in such a high position, much like The National as stated above, must be a huge ‘???’ to an awful lot of people when the lineup poster comes out. His recent increased popularity is with a very specific group of people with a specific music taste. He’s not an act who has or will ever break through to the masses - he’s just a very big cult act.

Just now, bombfrog said:

Yep. love Nick and the National, and they are big acts who could in theory do it if they have to, but in reality they don't crossover into the mainstream as much as many other acts and their show would go down a lot better to an adoring crowd in another slot - like Other Stage headliner.

25 minutes ago, Airlie said:

More than any other act I've seen discussed, I think. Not even just mainstream audience, I'd say music fans. It's seems quite strange but a lot of it is probably because he's great so he gets talked about a lot here which in turn makes people think he's really popular in the outside world. To suggest he's too big for Other is baffling, he'd be fine as an Other headliner but on the small side. Majority of Other headliners in recent years have been undoubtedly bigger than Nick Cave.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I regretted not going to Cave. That said, it was Sunday evening and I was partied out and not feeling either.

I did both. Down the front for Cave, legged it to Pumpkins for the last 40 minutes or something when they played all the tunes. Found my best mate just in time for Bullet with Butterfly Wings. Glorious end to the festival.

5 hours ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't think I do crave any huge acts to be honest. It would be fun to see Lady Gaga or Elton, but I'm ambivalent about Fleetwood Mac. Who else is there that haven't done it and are mega artists?

I think expectations need to be scaled down a bit. And I also am very pro giving new artists a leg up.

That wasn't aimed at you per se, I was just continuing the discussion off the back of one of your points. 

I meant 'we' more generally, and doesn't include everybody of course - but as a collective we do discuss extensively every year whether it's Elton's year or Fleetwood Mac's year or Madonna's year or Queen's year, Beyonce or Jay-Z or The Rolling Stones or Stevie preivously etc. etc. I could go on. This year some of those have been mentioned and admittedly big, more mainstream acts like Taylor Swift etc. 

We might need to revise down expectations, which I agree with completely btw, but I have to say I do think generally 'bigger' acts are still sought after regardless. The huge acts that have played over the years have generally attracted huge crowds, and they will continue to do so. The Rolling Stones is still my favoutite ever set on the farm! :D

Just now, The Martini Police said:

More than any other act I've seen discussed, I think. Not even just mainstream audience, I'd say music fans. It's seems quite strange but a lot of it is probably because he's great so he gets talked about a lot here which in turn makes people think he's really popular in the outside world. To suggest he's too big for Other is baffling, he'd be fine as an Other headliner but on the small side. Majority of Other headliners in recent years have been undoubtedly bigger than Nick Cave.

As people have said, he sold out All Points East (lots of recent Other headliners have headlined that) and sold most of a pretty heavy UK arena tour on the day. I know there is a lot of love for him on here but it’s certainly not delusional - a ‘new’ band doing that would be championed as future headliners.

11 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I did both. Down the front for Cave, legged it to Pumpkins for the last 40 minutes or something when they played all the tunes. Found my best mate just in time for Bullet with Butterfly Wings. Glorious end to the festival.

Just going down the list of biggest selling albums ever and weeding out veryone who's played the festival or dead, you're left with....

• Led Zeppelin (Page and Plant?, do they still talk?)
  • ABBA (Forever talking about a reunion)
  • Meatloaf(!!!)
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Pink Floyd
  • Guns N Roses
  • AC/DC
  • Elton John
  • Bon Jovi
  • Eminem
  • Madonna
  • Queen
  • Simon and Garfunkey (have they finally called it a day?) **
  • Britney
  • Spice Girls
  • Oasis
  • Green Day
  • Coldplay

That's pretty much it, except for a few that have mostly sod albums in America. There are definitely a couple there though.

** I've seen this typo, yes, but I'm leaving it in for obvious reasons.

Edited by bombfrog

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Everyone text their children and ask them if they know who Nick Cave is.

The Approved eFests Pyramid Headliner Litmus Tests:

• Does you mum know who they are?
  • Do your kids know who they are?
  • Do your Glastonbury-attending non-eFester friends know who they are?
  • Can any of the above name or recognise more than one of their songs? (TV adverts / theme songs excluded)
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Just going down the list of biggest selling albums ever and weeding out veryone who's played the festival or dead, you're left with....

• Led Zeppelin (Page and Plant?, do they still talk?)
  • ABBA (Forever talking about a reunion)
  • Meatloaf(!!!)
  • Fleetwood Mac
  • Pink Floyd
  • Guns N Roses
  • AC/DC
  • Elton John
  • Bon Jovi
  • Eminem
  • Madonna
  • Queen
  • Simon and Garfunkey (have they finally called it a day?) **
  • Britney
  • Spice Girls
  • Oasis
  • Green Day
  • Coldplay

That's pretty much it, except for a few that have mostly sod albums in America. There are definitely a couple there though.

** I've seen this typo, yes, but I'm leaving it in for obvious reasons.

Oasis have played a few times.

Both Simon and Garfunkel have played as solo artists.