2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, pryce said:

i would say we need to be careful comparing arena tours from 10 years ago to now

10 years ago it cost between 30 and 40 quid for an arena ticket , these days its costs 50-70

I wouldn't pay that for any band now, back 10 years ago it wasn't even a factor I thought of.

Gig prices have increased massively and I think people are a lot more careful with what they spend money on.

probably spouting rubbish... early in the morning

I agree. But then bands are still selling out stadiums/arenas with the cheapest tickets costing about £80, so there's clearly a market. In fact, I'd suspect that people are generally going to fewer gigs, because they'll prioritise the big bands, spend a fortune seeing them and then not want to spend £20 on an up and coming artist.

16 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

I don't think I do crave any huge acts to be honest. It would be fun to see Lady Gaga or Elton, but I'm ambivalent about Fleetwood Mac. Who else is there that haven't done it and are mega artists?

I think expectations need to be scaled down a bit. And I also am very pro giving new artists a leg up.

Eminem, Mariah, Eagles, Bruno Mars, Drake, Pink, Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Take That, Spice Girls

Hard pass on the vast majority of those though 

I’m happy to agree to disagree on Foals but can we all stop referring to them as a new band getting a leg up?

Theyve been playing UK festivals in prominent slots since 2007. They ain’t new, nor are up and coming. 

Edited by Matt42

11 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Eminem, Mariah, Eagles, Bruno Mars, Drake, Pink, Justin Timberlake, Robbie Williams, Take That, Spice Girls

Hard pass on the vast majority of those though 

Sorry yes I was talking about myself personally in reference to the comment about "huge bands we crave". I don't.

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’m happy to agree to disagree on Foals but can we all stop referring to them as a new band getting a leg up?

Theyve been playing UK festivals in prominent slots since 2007. They ain’t new, nor are up and coming. 

If you're referring to me I wasn't talking about Foals specifically with that comment, just saying I support the principle of giving new bands a go. Foals are absolutely off my radar, I know fuck all about them.

11 hours ago, incident said:

Have people really forgotten what happened the last time Nick Cave played? I know that his fans absolutely adored the performance, but the field was far from packed and there was loads of complaints on here afterwards about how half the crowd were waiting for Mumfords and actively ignoring the stage.

Yes, I accept that it was 6 years ago and that he's much more popular now than he was then. But surely putting him as Other Stage headliner would make far more sense - aside from anything else it means you'd all get to be in an audience without nearly as many tourists annoying you as they'd all be off watching Taylor Swift.

I'm torn. Would be a better vibe I'd say at the other, but he's actually deserving of the big slot, if quality was the sole barometer. Unfortunately it's not. The Pyramid sub was quiet as Mumford's crowd was small for a headliner and seeing as Mumford is music for people who don't like music, I'm not surprised they weren't there in droves early. They were also up against Smashing Pumpkins on the Other who many people think could have headlined the whole thing at that point. The crowd for Cave at that, or the Cure, or even when he actually subbed Blur, would have been/was very very big.

Can I see him getting the gig? Hmmm. Likely not, unless the new album does hugely well, but due to the awful passing of his son creating a lot of interest at that time, as well as Red Right Hand on Peaky Blinders, his star may have peaked. While I can't see him getting less popular as he rarely releases anything below an 8/10, I just reckon he needs the crossover banger that if we're all honest, can't see coming. If he did play he would blow the neutral away, however.

Edited by Superscally

10 hours ago, FuzzyDunlop said:

Maybe its just me, but I think Kasabian were quite a bit bigger than Foals are. West Ryder was a pretty big album.

They were filling out Arenas when West Ryder Came out. I don't think Foals are (I could well be wrong on that, I have not got into them enough to be certain).

Up til Velociraptor, I was pretty big on Kasabian & they lost me - so maybe its a bit of bias? I dont know.

Kasabian were definitely filling arenas at West Ryder cos I saw them at Manchester Arena on that tour.

Kasabian were bigger; indie rock in general was bigger. Point I’m making is that they subbed in 2009 and stayed around the same size for a couple of albums and headlined a few years later just by not falling off the map. There was little to argue about with that one - they were just the next British band to do it - and I feel that’s where the general mood is headed on Foals.

Kasabian were bigger then than Foals currently are though, at least in the sense of having more songs immediately hummable by the Radio 2/Absolute Radio/Radio 1 axis that I always imagine your average Pyramid crowd to comprise of - the songs from West Ryder in particular seemed to be on heavy rotation for ages when that album came out.

15 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

Kasabian were bigger then than Foals currently are though, at least in the sense of having more songs immediately hummable by the Radio 2/Absolute Radio/Radio 1 axis that I always imagine your average Pyramid crowd to comprise of - the songs from West Ryder in particular seemed to be on heavy rotation for ages when that album came out.

Kasabian had also already outright headlined every other major UK fest before Glastonbury gave them their shot, whereas the furthest Foals have got so far is Latitude and co-headlining at Reading.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

I'm torn. Would be a better vibe I'd say at the other, but he's actually deserving of the big slot, if quality was the sole barometer. Unfortunately it's not. The Pyramid sub was quiet as Mumford's crowd was small for a headliner and seeing as Mumford is music for people who don't like music, I'm not surprised they weren't there in droves early. They were also up against Smashing Pumpkins on the Other who many people think could have headlined the whole thing at that point. The crowd for Cave at that, or the Cure, or even when he actually subbed Blur, would have been/was very very big.

Could have headlined on the Pyramid in 2013? 

Sure, with hindsight Mumfords were very fortunate to have had the chance to headline, but at the time they were one of the biggest bands in the country. Pumpkins peaked in the 90s.

13 minutes ago, Matt87 said:

Could have headlined on the Pyramid in 2013? 

Sure, with hindsight Mumfords were very fortunate to have had the chance to headline, but at the time they were one of the biggest bands in the country. Pumpkins peaked in the 90s.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

The only time the Pumpkins could ever have been in contention to headline the pyramid would have been 96 (no fest that year) or 97. Any other year, not even close. Their billing in 2013 was wholly appropriate.

You say that, but that wasn't the chat at the time. I'm not saying Mumford were inappropriate either even though they're f**ing shit or that SP should have replaced them, but SP were seen as a huge Other headliner that year and the chat about clashes heavily featured them. Their crowd was also massive - one of the biggest I've ever seen at the Other.

4 minutes ago, Superscally said:

You say that, but that wasn't the chat at the time. I'm not saying Mumford were inappropriate either even though they're f**ing shit or that SP should have replaced them, but SP were seen as a huge Other headliner that year and the chat about clashes heavily featured them. Their crowd was also massive - one of the biggest I've ever seen at the Other.

They didn't headline though, they subbed it. The xx headlined, which was the source of much consternation here (that and the Cave clash, which was heinous).

I thought they deserved to headline Other too, but I don't remember the crowd being that huge. I ran over after Cave and found my mate quite easily. That said, I very rarely go to Other so don't have many points of comparison.

I'm really surprised there's so much conjecture going on about who should headline or who deserves to headline, Stormzy did it this year off the back of one album and some YouTube videos. Had he ever headlined another festival? I can't find any evidence to suggest he has, but any of Foals, Nick Cave, or the 1975 would get a decent crowd. Also, what's the big problem with their being less than a maxed out crowd at the Pyramid? There's so much to do and see across the festival, it doesn't really matter, does it?

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

can we stop the use of gammon, please? It's a divisive word and wouldn't be acceptable if applied to a different demographic. ;) 

I couldn't agree more.

It is no better than language of the alt-right (snowflake, cuck etc.) whom it targets. We should have better arguments, not more name-calling.

9 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

They didn't headline though, they subbed it. The xx headlined, which was the source of much consternation here (that and the Cave clash, which was heinous).

I thought they deserved to headline Other too, but I don't remember the crowd being that huge. I ran over after Cave and found my mate quite easily. That said, I very rarely go to Other so don't have many points of comparison.

I came in from JP side and had to be pretty much back at the railway line before there was any space... 

5 hours ago, mcshed said:

What on earth does this mean? You get a hard time on here sometimes but too often your posts are completely unintelligible. Do you re-read your posts before you publish them?

Getting a hard time I don't care about but it's not hard to differentiate between playing and a gig at Wembley Arena which is by the way the middle ground between Brixton and The 02....that's quite simple stuff, and playing a gig at Hyde Park to 60k people which AF did. To even try and suggest the Foals and the likes of those in that level bracket are AF size is crazy.

23 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

No

They’re indie in the sense they’re critically acclaimed and have their fans, but their crossover appeal is limited, exactly like Foals even if that’s where the similarities between them end . The 1975 used to be like that until they marketed the hell out of themselves so it’s possible to throw off those shackles, tho haven’t seen any evidence of The XX wanting to do so

Last album sold about a fifth of what their previous two did, IIRC, which is a big drop off even accounting for the dip in album sales across the whole industry during that four year gap 

yeah, unlike The 1975 who...er...

yZmKY04.jpg