2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

completely right. 

Instead of pigeon holing bands into headline slots we should be booking rap/contemporary acts that deserve the leg up

its not glastonbury’s fault that rock has fallen on its arse

Urrrrrmm...weren't you one of the guys who was quite vocally doubting Stormzy's ability to perform and questioning why he'd been given a leg up?

*Checks "So Stormzy then...." thread*

Edited by Sasperella

38 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

More like The Cure smashing it will bring the likes of Depeche Mode and Pearl Jam into contention.

It won’t have affected those acts at all. It was only a thing on here where we thought those cult acts couldn’t do the job. In reality, they’ve been asking the Peach Boys for years and failing to meet the asking price.

Edited by dentalplan

57 minutes ago, Superscally said:

See you on the barrier. The LCD thing makes me sad. I wanted to see em but no-one came with. As it happened, Coldplay were peak brilliant that night, so I have no regrets, apart from the fact that I couldn't do both...

Most of my bunch were split between Coldplay and EW&F. I went on my own but managed to find some old friends I hadn’t seen for ages.

Would say that was the one evening I’ve been to where so many went different ways and all had a great time. The end of a challenging festival and the right bands were all on the right stages playing to the right people. 

Mans that’s why The National would nail the Other slot. Would be one for the ages against someone popular and mainstream. 

Edited by strummer77

12 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Most of my bunch were split between Coldplay and EW&F. I went on my own but managed to find some old friends I hadn’t seen for ages.

Would say that was the one evening I’ve been to where so many went different ways and all had a great time. The end of a challenging festival and the right bands were all on the right stages playing to the right people. 

Mans that’s why The National would nail the Other slot. Would be one for the ages against someone popular and mainstream. 

Knowing my luck it would be on against Fleetwood Mac

1 hour ago, Superscally said:

See you on the barrier. The LCD thing makes me sad. I wanted to see em but no-one came with. As it happened, Coldplay were peak brilliant that night, so I have no regrets, apart from the fact that I couldn't do both...

The cool kids were at Cyndi Lauper that night! She was brilliant.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I think Nick Cave is in this position where he's too big to headline the Other of sub the Pyramid, but may seem to small/unknown to be one of the big 3.

He'd knock it out of the park though. Maybe he will do it in another album's time. Cave's popularity has grown exponentially in the past years. A lot of people seem to realise how good he is.

He'd definitely smash it. 

10 minutes ago, lighthouse said:

I think Nick Cave is in this position where he's too big to headline the Other of sub the Pyramid, but may seem to small/unknown to be one of the big 3.

He'd knock it out of the park though. Maybe he will do it in another album's time. Cave's popularity has grown exponentially in the past years. A lot of people seem to realise how good he is.

There’s a glass ceiling between sub and headliner that a few acts have struggled to break through. Cave is certainly one, Foals are another.

Edited by Hugh Jass

Don't get how peeps here groan at the mention of 90% of repeat headliners ("not them again"/"they won't top last time") but remain so dismissive of the festival taking chances on new headliners. Absolutely any new headliner is at least a little bit interesting or exciting and an opportunity to be part of something unique.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

Don't get how peeps here groan at the mention of 90% of repeat headliners ("not them again"/"they won't top last time") but remain so dismissive of the festival taking chances on new headliners. Absolutely any new headliner is at least a little bit interesting or exciting and an opportunity to be part of something unique.

Agreed.

#anyonebutcoldplay

Have people really forgotten what happened the last time Nick Cave played? I know that his fans absolutely adored the performance, but the field was far from packed and there was loads of complaints on here afterwards about how half the crowd were waiting for Mumfords and actively ignoring the stage.

Yes, I accept that it was 6 years ago and that he's much more popular now than he was then. But surely putting him as Other Stage headliner would make far more sense - aside from anything else it means you'd all get to be in an audience without nearly as many tourists annoying you as they'd all be off watching Taylor Swift.

Edited by incident

3 hours ago, Sasperella said:

Urrrrrmm...weren't you one of the guys who was quite vocally doubting Stormzy's ability to perform and questioning why he'd been given a leg up?

*Checks "So Stormzy then...." thread*

Hello. Yes I was critical of stormzy but for very different reasons. I thought that it was too early in his career to book him as a headliner. Considering at one point it looked like he was going to be going from other sub to pyramid headliner with no new material. I’m glad I was proven wrong though but I still stand by the fact that it was a bit too early. 

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

My argument about Foals is they are not a new band being given a leg up. They’ve been around a long time now and the match clearly has not been struck. They aren’t going to become to the biggest band in the UK anytime on the next release. The stock and interest just isn’t there.

If were really going to talk about interesting and exciting new headliners i’l give it to yah (meme)

Billie Eilish, Dave, The 1975 are three acts I’d pick out which are nearly (on their way) to becoming bona fide headliners.

2 minutes ago, incident said:

Have people really forgotten what happened the last time Nick Cave played? I know that his fans absolutely adored the performance, but the field was far from packed and there was loads of complaints on here afterwards about how half the crowd were waiting for Mumfords and actively ignoring the stage.

Yes, I accept that it was 6 years ago and that he's much more popular now than he was then. But surely putting him as Other Stage headliner would make far more sense - aside from anything else it means you'd all get to be in an audience without nearly as many tourists annoying you as they'd all be off watching Taylor Swift.

Also let’s be real. He’d get a moderate crowd as an other headliner.

I truly don’t know what planet some users on this forum are living on that think Nick Cave would be too big for the other.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

The bored and chatty fans wouldn't be there if they had no interest in Nick Cave though, cos nobody would be on after him. Doesn't really seem much different to The Cure doing it to me. I am guessing the crowd wasn't heaving for them either, but all people care about is that The Cure crushed it and everyone who didn't see them enjoyed themselves elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

My argument about Foals is they are not a new band being given a leg up. They’ve been around a long time now and the match clearly has not been struck. They aren’t going to become to the biggest band in the UK anytime on the next release. The stock and interest just isn’t there.

If were really going to talk about interesting and exciting new headliners i’l give it to yah (meme)

Billie Eilish, Dave, The 1975 are three acts I’d pick out which are nearly (on their way) to becoming bona fide headliners.

Why are you so fixated on them being 'new bands'? Foals quite clearly aren't new seeing as many of us have grown up with them but they have grown into one of the UK's biggest bands and they've never headlined the Pyramid so I don't see what the problem is, really. I know you dismissed it earlier but it is very much like Kasabian doing it, in my mind.

Also, The 1975 are hardly a new band either; they've been around a long time, the members are a couple of years younger than those of Foals and they'll have released at least four albums when they headline Glastonbury. Doesn't mean they're not cut out for it.

11 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The bored and chatty fans wouldn't be there if they had no interest in Nick Cave though, cos nobody would be on after him. Doesn't really seem much different to The Cure doing it to me. I am guessing the crowd wasn't heaving for them either, but all people care about is that The Cure crushed it and everyone who didn't see them enjoyed themselves elsewhere.

Why are you so fixated on them being 'new bands'? Foals quite clearly aren't new seeing as many of us have grown up with them but they have grown into one of the UK's biggest bands and they've never headlined the Pyramid so I don't see what the problem is, really. I know you dismissed it earlier but it is very much like Kasabian doing it, in my mind.

Maybe its just me, but I think Kasabian were quite a bit bigger than Foals are. West Ryder was a pretty big album.

They were filling out Arenas when West Ryder Came out. I don't think Foals are (I could well be wrong on that, I have not got into them enough to be certain).

Up til Velociraptor, I was pretty big on Kasabian & they lost me - so maybe its a bit of bias? I dont know.

Kasabian were definitely filling arenas at West Ryder cos I saw them at Manchester Arena on that tour.