2020 headliners

jj200

Just now, Matt42 said:

You missed my point. The Killers and the Cure are still playing massive gigs and are bona fide headliners to the general public

I’m talking about acts that had their peak 5 ish years ago and in that time were only sub or other headliner or even other sub size. Why would they suddenly be headliners now when there are newer acts on a clear trajectory which are more deserving of the leg up.

I feel some users on this board want Foals to get the leg up because they feel sorry for them that they failed to become headliners on their own back.

What about the Verve? I wouldn't rule out the National either, but it ain't next year and depends if their new album is full of bangers like they say... "Band in new album best one ever shocker!"

4 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I feel some users on this board want Foals to get the leg up because they feel sorry for them that they failed to become headliners on their own back.

I've got no attachment to Foals, but I reckon they might get that leg-up anyway. It's what the Eavii seem to do.

They're not in much of a different place to where Kasabian were when they headlined. As I understand it, they were pencilled in as sub and got bumped up to headline. Depending what happens with other wanted acts I could see the same happening with Foals.

Edited by eFestivals

12 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is based on a general observation and I’m totally open to someone proving me wrong. To be a headline act you’ve gotta be identified as one pretty early on in your career. You need to hit the ground running and most festival headliners have been acts that have shot in size rather quickly.

Can someone list me a single act which have toured for say years and years and released many albums and then became festival headliners? 

If you don’t become a headliner by your 3rd or 4th album it ain’t happening.

Slightly dated examples, but nobody would have ever predicted either REM or Pulp to headline a 100k+ festival based on their first 3 albums.

1 minute ago, eFestivals said:

I've got no attachment to Foals, but I reckon they might get that leg-up anyway. It's what the Eavii seem to do.

They're not in much of a different place to where Kasabian were when they headlined. As I understand it, they were pencilled in as sub and got bumped up to headline. Depending what happens with other wanted acts I could see the same happening with Foals.

Kasabian had headlined pretty much every major UK festival before Glastonbury and we’re a pretty decent ticket seller.

I think I’m probably just in the minority here but I don’t see what Foals have done deserve the leg up. The only reason I can think would be that it would be a kind thing to do for them.

Also Foals have been playing major festivals since 2008 (probably even earlier). I don’t understand this argument that they are a rising band deserving of a leg up. They peaked years ago!

7 minutes ago, Pr0paneNightm4re said:

I can’t see foals headlining but maybe headlining the other stage or sub headlining? Fleetwood Mac would make sense as a headliner, especially with their Wembley show in June. Would be nice to see Biffy Clyro again as they will have recently released their 8th album. 

Do you mean Biffy Clyro headline? Christ. 

Is there a requirement that you have to be played on Radio 1 to headline these days? I guess not entirely (Cure etc), but it seems like any somewhat recent act does? 

1 minute ago, majormajormajor said:

Do you mean Biffy Clyro headline? Christ. 

Is there a requirement that you have to be played on Radio 1 to headline these days? I guess not entirely (Cure etc), but it seems like any somewhat recent act does? 

Heard QOTSA on radio 1 the other day, now we're talking.

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Kasabian had headlined pretty much every major UK festival before Glastonbury and we’re a pretty decent ticket seller.

I think I’m probably just in the minority here but I don’t see what Foals have done deserve the leg up. The only reason I can think would be that it would be a kind thing to do for them.

Also Foals have been playing major festivals since 2008 (probably even earlier). I don’t understand this argument that they are a rising band deserving of a leg up. They peaked years ago!

I think the benchmark for a headliner - particularly a rock band headliner - can’t be as high as it used to be because bands aren’t getting as big as they used to. Foals balancing at the size they are now is good enough.

The only act that people tend to offer in exchange is The 1975. They are a bigger band, yes, but honestly to most people there’s not that much difference (Foals wouldn’t get as big a backlash) and even to Glastonbury it’s probably much of a muchness booking-wise.

If you look a few years down the line, not creating headliners and watching old reliable headliners exit the game is gonna be felt. It’s already being felt.

11 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Maybe rocks in a generally fuck awful state and hasn't got any headliners worth the name so pop, rap etc gonna pick up the slack.

Maybe but this is a festival that needs to sell out to its largely middle-class and middle-aged demographic. I imagine top-line pop and rap acts are harder to convince to play for the lower fees as well seeing as they're generally some of the highest earners and the prestige surrounding Glastonbury probably means less to them.

Edited by dentalplan

Just now, Matt42 said:

completely right. 

Instead of pigeon holing bands into headline slots we should be booking rap/contemporary acts that deserve the leg up

its not glastonbury’s fault that rock has fallen on its arse

It's a scene that moves at breakneck speed though. You spent months saying how Stormzy was already too uncool to headline Glastonbury.

58 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

This is based on a general observation and I’m totally open to someone proving me wrong. To be a headline act you’ve gotta be identified as one pretty early on in your career. You need to hit the ground running and most festival headliners have been acts that have shot in size rather quickly.

Can someone list me a single act which have toured for say years and years and released many albums and then became festival headliners? 

If you don’t become a headliner by your 3rd or 4th album it ain’t happening.

REM. Pulp. Biffy Clyro. Red Hot Chilli Peppers. 

Not that theres a set format. If we’re talking Foals specifically they headlined Latitude after album 3 and Reading after album 4. Other acts get to headline after 1. There’s no set pattern. Plus other things come into play-if the Eavii can get e.g. the Mac and the Swift, they might want someone who’ll probably do it for pretty much nothing and with two big headliners they can justify a gamble on someone smaller.

Secret Park set?

Playing to large audiences at their own outdoor shows?

New album out this year?

Everyone's mum has heard of them?

An act that nobody is taking about as a headliner?

Scenes on here when Elbow are announced. 

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, incident said:

That's not what he's saying at all. He's quoting what the fee was at the time, and contrasting it to what those artists could earn elsewhere.

I think mentioning just two implies they got more. It’s silly to pretend everyone except the Stones has got exactly the same amount. It will vary year on year as currencies fluctuate and different bands will have different costs, crees and expenses to consider.

The ‘standard fee’ is basically a starting point and a guide which is pretty close. If it was a steadfast rule then they’d never be negotiating. 

Edited by strummer77

1 minute ago, Gnomicide said:

Secret Park set?

Playing to large audiences at their own outdoor shows?

New album out this year?

Everyone's mum has heard of them?

An act that nobody is taking about as a headliner?

Scenes on here when Elbow are announced

My mum fucking hates Elbow. Really passionately.

2 hours ago, Superscally said:

What about the Verve? I wouldn't rule out the National either, but it ain't next year and depends if their new album is full of bangers like they say... "Band in new album best one ever shocker!"

Feel that The National are Other Stage headliners. I’d rather see a band like that go down a storm on the Other Stage than be lost a bit amongst the wider Pyramid audience.

Feel The National on The Other Stage has LCD vibes of greatness 

25 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Feel that The National are Other Stage headliners. I’d rather see a band like that go down a storm on the Other Stage than be lost a bit amongst the wider Pyramid audience.

Feel The National on The Other Stage has LCD vibes of greatness 

See you on the barrier. The LCD thing makes me sad. I wanted to see em but no-one came with. As it happened, Coldplay were peak brilliant that night, so I have no regrets, apart from the fact that I couldn't do both...