2020 headliners

jj200

9 minutes ago, majormajormajor said:

Eh? I saw him headline Coachella about 6 years ago, and saw him headline Roskilde last year...?

You might have seen him last at Coachella, but RHCP were the headliners that day.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was fairly surprised by the muted reception to him coming on with Kylie. People near us were chanting at him to fuck off.

Weirdly, at the back where I was, plenty of applause among the total indifference. Some people unfortunately are just ar53h0les

Edited by MEGABOWL

47 minutes ago, incident said:

You might have seen him last at Coachella, but RHCP were the headliners that day.

Ha - well pointed out. I worry about my brain sometimes. I even remember all the bros up near the front of stage waiting for RHCP. Early dementia potential here.

Edited by majormajormajor

I still don’t know whether it’s bon eyever or bon eevair tbf. Never heard a single note of his/their music. It’s a fairly hairy bloke isn’t it?

But then pyramid headliners being stuff I have absolutely no idea about or interest in is not a new thing ???

3 hours ago, Quark said:

So here's a question on the diversity front ( I do love a can of worms)...

As one of the most globally prominent and enduring gay male stars in the business, would Reg count as a diverse act? Or is his sexual orientation outweighed by the fact he's a white male?

That's not a direct question to you btw. And if that question runs the risk of sending yet another thread into the dustbin, I'll delete the damn thing and blather something about Fleetwood Mac :lol:

Haha, I know what you mean, that's a whole heap of worms to discuss, I don't know what the right balance for anything is when people talk about diversity imo... altho I suppose I meant in terms of women, given that EE had said they were aiming for 50-50 representation. Does Fleetwood Mac at 33% equal enough diversity? Lord knows. That would only equate to 18% of the main headliners being female...

On a more musical basis, I wondered if 1975, Elton, and Mac were too close on the same end of the spectrum (purely based on the genres of them posted on Wiki). Indie, synth-rock, soft rock, glam rock, blues rock. No rap, no grime, no dance, or lone singer/pop star. I guess the festival wouldn't give a shit if FM and Elton were both up for doing it and agreed to do it given that Reg is ending his career and FM are knocking on...

14 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I still don’t know whether it’s bon eyever or bon eevair tbf. Never heard a single note of his/their music. It’s a fairly hairy bloke isn’t it?

But then pyramid headliners being stuff I have absolutely no idea about or interest in is not a new thing ???

I reckon you'll have heard a couple. Skinny Love was pretty much everywhere ten years back... It's ee-ver by the way ?

42 minutes ago, Quark said:

Something tells me we got us a Bon Iver fan in @Superscally ;)

I like him, but he's not a real biggie for me, but he just is, globally and I think a lot of people are underestimating how big he is. The only argument that someone has made that stacks up against him is the UK thing, with him maybe being bigger in the US and Europe than here. He just headlined Mad Cool in Madrid which was probably the best line up anywhere on the continent this year... I also can't understand how someone could be a fan of the XX and not Bon Iver or if you were a fan of one, it'd be the XX. They're just dull...

Also why are so many bands that clearly had their peak close to (or over) 5 years ago being thrown around as potential headliners?

Are the new acts too distant and scary? 

I think the local band leg up is really misconstrued. The leg up is often given to a band on a clear trajectory. Not a band that’s floated around the lineup in lower spots for a few years.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Saying Bon Iver should headline glasto is like saying Sigur Ros should headline Glastonbury.

I like Bon Iver but after skinny love he gave up on being mainstream and the mainstream gave up on him.

Probably a fair comment, but he is bigger, he's 100% able to headline other and it depends on what they both came up with. If he came up with something as good as Funeral and Arcade Fire brought out another Everything Now, where would they be in terms of ability to headline? 

Just found another of his new ones. Good.

Faith https://g.co/kgs/3J5PKy

3 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Probably a fair comment, but he is bigger, he's 100% able to headline other and it depends on what they both came up with. If he came up with something as good as Funeral and Arcade Fire brought out another Everything Now, where would they be in terms of ability to headline? 

Just found another of his new ones. Good.

Faith https://g.co/kgs/3J5PKy

This is based on a general observation and I’m totally open to someone proving me wrong. To be a headline act you’ve gotta be identified as one pretty early on in your career. You need to hit the ground running and most festival headliners have been acts that have shot in size rather quickly.

Can someone list me a single act which have toured for say years and years and released many albums and then became festival headliners? 

If you don’t become a headliner by your 3rd or 4th album it ain’t happening.

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

We’ve just had a headliner who peaked 10 years ago.

You missed my point. The Killers and the Cure are still playing massive gigs and are bona fide headliners to the general public

I’m talking about acts that had their peak 5 ish years ago and in that time were only sub or other headliner or even other sub size. Why would they suddenly be headliners now when there are newer acts on a clear trajectory which are more deserving of the leg up.

I feel some users on this board want Foals to get the leg up because they feel sorry for them that they failed to become headliners on their own back.