2020 headliners

jj200

28 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

So not the Pyramid then

The XX have also headlined the Other and are certainly capable of doing so again

What

I struggle to see what part of that concept you can't grasp. You clearly think he's not big enough to headline, bit you're wrong. He's much bigger than the XX. I'm not saying he will, but with a new album out, for you to say he won't headline ever is silly.

3 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

The scenes that would greet Bon Iver headlining the Pyramid would be broadly similar to what happened when Kanye gave him a 20 minute guest slot in 2015.

Not at all. That's like saying it would be like Metallica bringing Marcus Mumford on. Kanyes crowd was never going to lose their mind over JV. Bon Iver has a huge fan base, bigger than the XX and Foals, headlined big festivals and is always going to be an artist that is one big wave album from headlining again. 

2 minutes ago, Superscally said:

Not at all. That's like saying it would be like Metallica bringing Marcus Mumford on. Kanyes crowd was never going to lose their mind over JV. Bon Iver has a huge fan base, bigger than the XX and Foals, headlined big festivals and is always going to be an artist that is one big wave album from headlining again. 

I dunno mate.  I'm pretty sure that of the people I go to Glastonbury with, who are probably more representative of your average festival punter than the weird obsessives we all tend to be, an announcement of Bon Iver as a headliner would be met with a mixture of indifference, perplexity and minor confusion.

Have we considered the patented "What do people's mums think of *insert headliner here* test"? :D

19 minutes ago, Superscally said:

I struggle to see what part of that concept you can't grasp. You clearly think he's not big enough to headline, bit you're wrong. He's much bigger than the XX. I'm not saying he will, but with a new album out, for you to say he won't headline ever is silly.

The xx, during album promo and tour time, are a bigger deal than Bon Iver in the U.K. and would get a much better reception than him also... in a sub slot. The idea of Bon Iver headlining the Pyramid is ridiculous for many a reason.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Superscally said:

I'm a huge Bon Iver fan, but I can't see him headlining Glastonbury either. Should and hopefully will get Other headliner soon though. You've gotta consider the British element I guess. Far bigger proportion of the xx and Foals fans will be from the UK and the festival are probably more likely to give a local act the bump up, as we've seen before.

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I dunno mate.  I'm pretty sure that of the people I go to Glastonbury with, who are probably more representative of your average festival punter than the weird obsessives we all tend to be, an announcement of Bon Iver as a headliner would be met with a mixture of indifference, perplexity and minor confusion.

Have we considered the patented "What do people's mums think of *insert headliner here* test"? :D

People I regularly go to festivals with (several Glastos, Reading and APE last year) had no idea who Bon Iver was when were thinking of going this year.

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

If 22, A Million was more accessible there'd be a chance that they've had headlined already. He had a rammed Other field in stunned silence in 2009, when they weren't singing along. He would decide his own path I think, and if this album is a mainstream one, he's back up there. I wasn't suggesting he will headline, just disputing the fact that someone with as much in the locker will never headline. The XX are on a genuine downward trend in terms of quality and now, popularity. Their Other slot was dull as and the novelty of that first album has long gone. I can't believe THEY'RE being talked of as potential headliners.

Edited by Superscally

4 minutes ago, Superscally said:

If 22, A Million was more accessible there'd be a chance that they've had headlined already. He had a rammed Other field in stunned silence in 2009, when they weren't singing along. He would decide his own path I think, and if this album is a mainstream one, he's back up there. I wasn't suggesting he will headline, just disputing the fact that someone with as much in the locker will never headline. The XX are on a genuine downward trend in terms of quality and now, popularity. Their Other slot was dull as and the novelty of that first album has long gone. I can't believe THEY'RE being talked of as potential headliners.

If it helps I reckon The xx are in exactly the same bracket :)

1 minute ago, Quark said:

If it helps I reckon The xx are in exactly the same bracket :)

At this point in time, you're probably bang on, but I can't see them doing anything other than competing for a slot in the Europa League after their next album, whereas Bon Iver have much more potential to change their own destiny...

17 minutes ago, Superscally said:

He would decide his own path I think, and if this album is a mainstream one, he's back up there. 

Have you heard the first 4 tracks yet? It won't be, nor should it be. 

31 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I do worry how out of touch some people on this board are.

Tbf, this one isn't as bonkers as the shouts of Nick Cave to headline.

3 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

Have you heard the first 4 tracks yet? It won't be, nor should it be. 

Tbf, this one isn't as bonkers as the shouts of Nick Cave to headline.

Heard Hey Ma - it sounded pretty good to me! 

I unfortunately think you're right on Nick Cave, but I'd see him headline the Other against almost anyone he was up against! ?

1 minute ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Was fairly surprised by the muted reception to him coming on with Kylie. People near us were chanting at him to fuck off.

I was the only one in my immediate area who seemed to even know who he was, let alone be as excited as I was! :lol: