2020 headliners

jj200

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

I wonder if folk would consider Foals -The XX - Fleetwood Mac to be a weak trio?

There’s nothing to ‘consider’, that’d be even weaker than 2014. Two indie bands that peaked in about 2012 and a classic act who would be performing without their lead male singer. 

You'd be much better off taking a gamble on somebody who could expand the shrinking headliner pool, and return to do it again in the future if it went well for them, than somebody clearly on the way down like The XX.

34 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Rihanna would be a better headliner than foals to me. I personally don’t see what Foals have done to warrant this bump up that everyone thinks they deserve. I’d argue they are even smaller than they were in 2016.

I'm not averse to most of the acts named headlining, I like to have one Pyramid headliner I'm interested in seeing, the other 2 days I couldn't care less who's on really but Rihanna? I know she's already been discussed endlessly about 10 pages back but fuck me, everything I've heard by her has been atrocious. Next level, throw the radio out the window shite. 

Given people that actually seem to bafflingly like her seem to be saying she's awful live, I can't see any plus points in having her top the bill.

36 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Rihanna would be a better headliner than foals to me. I personally don’t see what Foals have done to warrant this bump up that everyone thinks they deserve. I’d argue they are even smaller than they were in 2016.

Agreed. And I don't even like Rihanna that much. 

I think in a way they've shot themselves in the foot by headlining places like Y Not. I can't see an act going from playing those types of festivals to headlining Glastonbury the following year. I'm sure there's some sort of precedent, but I don't see it here.

6 minutes ago, jparx said:

Agreed. And I don't even like Rihanna that much. 

I think in a way they've shot themselves in the foot by headlining places like Y Not. I can't see an act going from playing those types of festivals to headlining Glastonbury the following year. I'm sure there's some sort of precedent, but I don't see it here.

It’s not anything to do with whether Rihanna is liked on this board or not but the loyalty to Foals on this forum is staggering. They’ve never even had a #1 album in their peak and would probably be one of the first Glastonbury headliners in a long time to headline without one. 

They are a great live band but I feel general interest in their output has fallen sharply from when they were at their peak. If they were booked to headline now they would without a doubt be the smallest Glastonbury headliner the festival has ever had. 

18 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

There is a 'standard fee' but in fairness there has been variation on that fee in the past, (and the fee would go up over the years) so I don't think Matt is wrong to think that's possible.

The fee goes up over the years but it won't go down. Say for argument's sake this year's three headliners each received £250k to perform. That figure will be known throughout the industry so why would someone like The Xx accept less than that next year? They're certainly not going to accept less so someone else can have more.

As I've said before, the festival can find the money to go up and over the standard fee for the right artist, but it won't come at the expense of the other two.

8 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

There is a 'standard fee' but in fairness there has been variation on that fee in the past, (and the fee would go up over the years) so I don't think Matt is wrong to think that's possible.

There's only one known example of an act getting more than standard, and that was for for the Stones. Fleetwood Mac aren't the Rolling Stones.

8 minutes ago, incident said:

There's only one known example of an act getting more than standard, and that was for for the Stones. Fleetwood Mac aren't the Rolling Stones.

Michael also suggested he paid more for Macca and Coldplay in the past (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40273111).

This standard fee thing is taken as gospel for some reason, I'm sure there is going to be variance when there's different numbers of people involved and travel arrangements etc. 

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

They should have headlined in 2016. Would've been better than Muse (the definition of a forgettable set).

14 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Now that the sports are over...

Thought I'd try to list all of the potential headliners for next year, including any rumours/info we've got as well as anything that could be used as a case against each act. Tried to order them somewhat from most to least likely. Apologies if I've missed any major act/got any info wrong/missed any info.

Fleetwood Mac - comments made at Wembley, someone on the farm who's ITK supposedly said they've been booked for next year. However, they've famously been out of Glastonbury's price range, what's to say that'll change for next year.

Foals - supposedly 'in the frame' to headline next year, could follow in The Killers footsteps by headlining after doing a big secret set. However, they're not really any bigger than they were in 2016 when they subbed - who's to say they won't be given that slot again rather than the headline gig.

Elton John - he's currently on his final mega tour which was clearly planned very far in advance, so could have been booked a while ago which would allude to the rumour that some 2020 headliners were booked a year or so ago. However, he's never played the festival before - maybe he's just not that bothered about playing Glastonbury.

The 1975 - probably the biggest British band to come out of this decade, make the most sense of any 'new' artist to get the gig, Emily seemed interested in Matty's comments about wanting to headline the festival, another album is on its way later this year. However, they're headlining R&L this year and its rare for an act to headline Glastonbury the year after. Not impossible, though.

Neil Young - Michael made comments about Neil Young coming back next year. However, Michael talks a lot of shite.

Coldplay - friends of the festival, obvious, easy deal to make, crowd pleasing, Emily loves them, Chris Martin was popping up all over this year, 2020 will be the 20 year anniversary of their debut. However, they last headlined in 2016 and currently haven't released any new material since then, is it too soon for them to return?

Arctic Monkeys - they're a safe bet, they've released 2 albums since they last headlined (with a third potentially on its way) and it's been 7 years which is long enough by Muse and Coldplay's standards. However, there's no guarantee that they're going to be active next summer.

Kendrick Lamar - Emily was at his gig last year and sang his praises, likely to be active with new material next summer. However, is he too expensive? He was rumoured to be R&L's most expensive booking ever back in 2018, will he take Glastonbury's low pay?

Lady Gaga - her Vegas residency will have ended by then, likely to have new material out in the next year, her stock has risen a fair bit due to ASIB, played back in 2009 so she knows the festival. However, it might be too soon after her Vegas residency to have a new show ready to tour and she might not be active over the summer months.

Blur - they're friends of the festival, would be a popular booking with the masses. However, there's no guarantee they're gonna be active next summer and there was a poster on here suggesting that they're not gonna play Glastonbury again.

Beyoncé - potentially gonna have new material out in the next year, would be a popular booking with the masses, she's a huge superstar and would be a welcome returning headliner. However, would she need/want to do it again? There's also no guarantee she'll be active next summer.

The Kinks - there's decent info to suggest that they're getting back together, they were supposed to headline the first ever festival back in 1970 but didn't, so it would be quite poetic for them to headline the 50th anniversary. However, would they headline, or would they be more likely for a sub/legends slot. Or they might just do their own gigs and not play festivals at all.

Kings of Leon - rumoured to be playing Pilton Party, which usually results in a big booking at the following festival. However, would they really be at the top of the list given all the other options? Perhaps a secret set would be more likely.

Taylor Swift - was potentially spotted at the festival this year by @CaledonianGonzo, new album is on its way and her stock has arguably dropped somewhat which could make her a more feasible headliner than she was a couple of years ago. However, she's never wanted to do festivals in the past and there's nothing as of yet to suggest that this has changed.

Ariana Grande - a very current, big star, likely to be active next year. However, would she want to headline Glastonbury at this point in her career? She certainly doesn't need to.

Florence & the Machine - could have a new album out by next summer and would be 5 years since she last headlined, which is just about long enough, she's a friend of the festival and would be an easy, safe booking. However, might be a tad too soon to return and likely won't be at the top of the list of options.

AC/DC - looking likely that they're getting back together with a new album and tour. However, they're gonna be way out of Glastonbury's price range - it's unlikely they'd take the pay cut, probably will stick to their own shows instead.

Madonna - they're clearly eager to book her, she's likely going to be active over the summer. However, she's always been too expensive and that's unlikely to change next year.

Paul McCartney - could the fuss about him playing this year actually have been miscommunication about him really playing in 2020? However, Neil seems to have it on good authority that he's not booked for next year.

U2 - do they have unfinished business with the festival that they want to try and resolve? However, they may not be active next summer and they may see Glastonbury as a 'been there, done that' gig.

R.E.M - wasn't there some whispers about a potential reunion? However, these are just whispers. Probably nothing.

Radiohead - @parsonjack spoke to someone close to the festival who reckons they're booked for next year. However, this seems far too soon to return since 2017, likely to have no new material out since then and probably not even going to be active next summer.

Kate Bush - one can dream.

Hell of a summary, thanks for that, saved a lot of backreading for a Monday morning.
In a perfect world (my own perfect world) I'd love

Fri:AC/DC
Sat: Elton John
Sun: FM

More realistic though is perhaps-

Fri: the 1975
Sat: (I'm still puzzled who would fit this day)
Sun: Fleetwood Mac

It seems all the odds of FM headlining are holding and with their comment, they seem quite likely. The only day I can't figure out is Sat. Would Elton be too close to FM in terms of size, fee, era-defining band? Would it be diverse enough for Glastonbury headliners? I don't know, but I sure love a puzzle

1 minute ago, MEGATRONICMEATWAGON said:

Would it be diverse enough for Glastonbury headliners? I don't know, but I sure love a puzzle

So here's a question on the diversity front ( I do love a can of worms)...

As one of the most globally prominent and enduring gay male stars in the business, would Reg count as a diverse act? Or is his sexual orientation outweighed by the fact he's a white male?

That's not a direct question to you btw. And if that question runs the risk of sending yet another thread into the dustbin, I'll delete the damn thing and blather something about Fleetwood Mac :lol:

14 minutes ago, strummer77 said:

Michael also suggested he paid more for Macca and Coldplay in the past (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40273111).

That's not what he's saying at all. He's quoting what the fee was at the time, and contrasting it to what those artists could earn elsewhere.

15 hours ago, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Now that the sports are over...

Thought I'd try to list all of the potential headliners for next year, including any rumours/info we've got as well as anything that could be used as a case against each act. Tried to order them somewhat from most to least likely. Apologies if I've missed any major act/got any info wrong/missed any info.

Fleetwood Mac - comments made at Wembley, someone on the farm who's ITK supposedly said they've been booked for next year. However, they've famously been out of Glastonbury's price range, what's to say that'll change for next year.

Foals - supposedly 'in the frame' to headline next year, could follow in The Killers footsteps by headlining after doing a big secret set. However, they're not really any bigger than they were in 2016 when they subbed - who's to say they won't be given that slot again rather than the headline gig.

Elton John - he's currently on his final mega tour which was clearly planned very far in advance, so could have been booked a while ago which would allude to the rumour that some 2020 headliners were booked a year or so ago. However, he's never played the festival before - maybe he's just not that bothered about playing Glastonbury.

The 1975 - probably the biggest British band to come out of this decade, make the most sense of any 'new' artist to get the gig, Emily seemed interested in Matty's comments about wanting to headline the festival, another album is on its way later this year. However, they're headlining R&L this year and its rare for an act to headline Glastonbury the year after. Not impossible, though.

Neil Young - Michael made comments about Neil Young coming back next year. However, Michael talks a lot of shite.

Coldplay - friends of the festival, obvious, easy deal to make, crowd pleasing, Emily loves them, Chris Martin was popping up all over this year, 2020 will be the 20 year anniversary of their debut. However, they last headlined in 2016 and currently haven't released any new material since then, is it too soon for them to return?

Arctic Monkeys - they're a safe bet, they've released 2 albums since they last headlined (with a third potentially on its way) and it's been 7 years which is long enough by Muse and Coldplay's standards. However, there's no guarantee that they're going to be active next summer.

Kendrick Lamar - Emily was at his gig last year and sang his praises, likely to be active with new material next summer. However, is he too expensive? He was rumoured to be R&L's most expensive booking ever back in 2018, will he take Glastonbury's low pay?

Lady Gaga - her Vegas residency will have ended by then, likely to have new material out in the next year, her stock has risen a fair bit due to ASIB, played back in 2009 so she knows the festival. However, it might be too soon after her Vegas residency to have a new show ready to tour and she might not be active over the summer months.

Blur - they're friends of the festival, would be a popular booking with the masses. However, there's no guarantee they're gonna be active next summer and there was a poster on here suggesting that they're not gonna play Glastonbury again.

Beyoncé - potentially gonna have new material out in the next year, would be a popular booking with the masses, she's a huge superstar and would be a welcome returning headliner. However, would she need/want to do it again? There's also no guarantee she'll be active next summer.

The Kinks - there's decent info to suggest that they're getting back together, they were supposed to headline the first ever festival back in 1970 but didn't, so it would be quite poetic for them to headline the 50th anniversary. However, would they headline, or would they be more likely for a sub/legends slot. Or they might just do their own gigs and not play festivals at all.

Kings of Leon - rumoured to be playing Pilton Party, which usually results in a big booking at the following festival. However, would they really be at the top of the list given all the other options? Perhaps a secret set would be more likely.

Taylor Swift - was potentially spotted at the festival this year by @CaledonianGonzo, new album is on its way and her stock has arguably dropped somewhat which could make her a more feasible headliner than she was a couple of years ago. However, she's never wanted to do festivals in the past and there's nothing as of yet to suggest that this has changed.

Ariana Grande - a very current, big star, likely to be active next year. However, would she want to headline Glastonbury at this point in her career? She certainly doesn't need to.

Florence & the Machine - could have a new album out by next summer and would be 5 years since she last headlined, which is just about long enough, she's a friend of the festival and would be an easy, safe booking. However, might be a tad too soon to return and likely won't be at the top of the list of options.

AC/DC - looking likely that they're getting back together with a new album and tour. However, they're gonna be way out of Glastonbury's price range - it's unlikely they'd take the pay cut, probably will stick to their own shows instead.

Madonna - they're clearly eager to book her, she's likely going to be active over the summer. However, she's always been too expensive and that's unlikely to change next year.

Paul McCartney - could the fuss about him playing this year actually have been miscommunication about him really playing in 2020? However, Neil seems to have it on good authority that he's not booked for next year.

U2 - do they have unfinished business with the festival that they want to try and resolve? However, they may not be active next summer and they may see Glastonbury as a 'been there, done that' gig.

R.E.M - wasn't there some whispers about a potential reunion? However, these are just whispers. Probably nothing.

Radiohead - @parsonjack spoke to someone close to the festival who reckons they're booked for next year. However, this seems far too soon to return since 2017, likely to have no new material out since then and probably not even going to be active next summer.

Kate Bush - one can dream.

I think that's it apart from possibly Green Day. The lead singer was on the farm checking it out so if that gives Taylor a mention it may well give Green Day a hope as well.

Also I think R.E.M. seems really really unlikely. The band have been quite adamant they aren't returning over the years.

Edited by strummer77

1 hour ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

There’s nothing to ‘consider’, that’d be even weaker than 2014. Two indie bands that peaked in about 2012 and a classic act who would be performing without their lead male singer. 

You'd be much better off taking a gamble on somebody who could expand the shrinking headliner pool, and return to do it again in the future if it went well for them, than somebody clearly on the way down like The XX.

The xx are neither an indie rock band (assume you mean rock as you've likened them to Foals here - have you listened to/seen them?), nor did they peak in about 2012. Their album in 2012 was definitely their weakest, their 2017 one was fantastic and their live show became way, way stronger than ever before. They shouldn't be looked down on essentially because their debut was so good and there's a long way to fall either. There's nothing to suggest they're on their way down - they headlined festivals like APE and Primavera on their last tour and there's no reason they couldn't go one level higher on the next one (plus, their 2017 sub set went down very well). However, I don't think they'll be back as soon as next year and would be a small 50th anniversary headliner, yes. Maybe 2021.

Edited by The Martini Police

5 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

The xx are neither an indie rock band (assume you mean rock as you've likened them to Foals here - have you listened to/seen them?), nor did they peak in about 2012. Their album in 2012 was definitely their weakest, their 2017 one was fantastic and their live show became way, way stronger than ever before. They shouldn't be looked down on essentially because their debut was so good and there's a long way to fall either. There's nothing to suggest they're on their way down - they headlined festivals like APE and Primavera on their last tour and there's no reason they couldn't go one level higher on the next one (plus, their 2017 sub set went down very well). However, I don't think they'll be back as soon as next year and would be a small 50th anniversary headliner, yes. Maybe 2021.

When I saw them in 2017 I put them down for possible 2021 headliners also, if their next album is strong and their stage setup evolves with it I think they have a strong chance!

Edited by Kalopsia

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Yet again... there is a standard fee. Imagine the negotiation...

"Hi guys! We want you to headline this year, but would you mind taking £100k less than we usually pay our headliners so we can get Fleetwood Mac in? Guys? …. Guys?"

As mad as it sounds, I feel like Foals would absolutely take this to have the chance to headline Glastonbury. You could tell at the secret set (he made it pretty obvious) how much they love Glastonbury and how much they wanted to play. When you take into account the prestige and the sales boost making up for the lower fee anyway (no idea to what extent), I reckon Foals would very quickly get over any offence and snap their hands off. 

43 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The 1975, Fleetwood Mac, Elton John would be a fantastically balanced trio for the 50th:

Not that balanced really....two oldies and one super new bump up. There's definitely a few decades of Glasto that are missing (although really, I just don't want The 1975), and arguably still a bit white male heavy. Not that I want to open that can of worms again....

46 minutes ago, Quark said:

So here's a question on the diversity front ( I do love a can of worms)...

As one of the most globally prominent and enduring gay male stars in the business, would Reg count as a diverse act? Or is his sexual orientation outweighed by the fact he's a white male?

....Unlike Quark here, who definitely does :lol:

Edited by Sasperella

Billie Joe Armstrong was at the festival as his sons plays drums for SWMRS. I wouldn't be surprised if Eavis had a chat with him about Green Day playing at some point. Not sure if they'd headline the Pyramid on the 50th annivesrsary, though... They  could potentially work on the Other.

Edited by StLewi

47 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

The xx are neither an indie rock band (assume you mean rock as you've likened them to Foals here)

No

They’re indie in the sense they’re critically acclaimed and have their fans, but their crossover appeal is limited, exactly like Foals even if that’s where the similarities between them end . The 1975 used to be like that until they marketed the hell out of themselves so it’s possible to throw off those shackles, tho haven’t seen any evidence of The XX wanting to do so

nor did they peak in about 2012.

There's nothing to suggest they're on their way down

Last album sold about a fifth of what their previous two did, IIRC, which is a big drop off even accounting for the dip in album sales across the whole industry during that four year gap 

- they headlined festivals like APE and Primavera on their last tour 

Good for them, so did Bon Iver and Bjork who are also definitely never headlining Glastonbury